Vacform Kits

This is a forum where you can share your tips tricks and hints for building vacform models, please feel free to share your ideas.

Once the parts have been cut out and prepared, a vac kit is no more difficult than any other model. The real trick to doing vacs is in preparing the parts for assembly. One of my favourite techniques is to spray the sheet in overall dark grey before scoring and snapping the parts out. This lets me clearly see how much plastic I need to remove.

Aha! Now that my pictures have come back, I can post examples. Now you see it

airliner_gb_32.jpg

Now you don't

airliner_gb_33.jpg

Edited by Jessica
  • Like 2

This has helped me a great deal so far, i think test fitting is also good, as i discovered with my 777, it was a little bent out of shape, masking tape and plastic glue should help. :)

Once the parts have been cut out and prepared, a vac kit is no more difficult than any other model. The real trick to doing vacs is in preparing the parts for assembly. One of my favourite techniques is to spray the sheet in overall dark grey before scoring and snapping the parts out. This lets me clearly see how much plastic I need to remove.

Aha! Now that my pictures have come back, I can post examples. Now you see it

airliner_gb_32.jpg

Now you don't

airliner_gb_33.jpg

Hi Jessica,

that is a really good bit of advice. I would recommend you add this to the Tools and Tips section for others to learn from it?

Mike

if you do vac+resin...... also buy super glue as you need it to put vac+ resin together,.... I needed two tries to understand that,..... as the first time, the parts always fell off ;-) ^^

Super glue is only really good when you are glueing small resin parts to vac, but larger areas you will probably need a 2 part Epoxy glue, but even this does not hold brilliantly as it does not melt the two materials together, When glueing vacform together always use a liquid cement such as Tamiya etc and hold the two parts together using tape first then using capillery action allow the glue to run along the seams and allow to dry