Monogram USAF SA-16B Albatross - Not finished sorry...

Hi All

This is my entry into this group build.

I had originally considered a Sunderland (Aifix) but as I have one on the go, I though something

else might be better to build.

As you can see from this photo, I have a number of flying boats/seaplanes kits to choose from,

(and more not shown)

FILE0427copy_zps5b635ba9.jpg

Finally, looking for an easy OOb build (mostly), I chose the Monogram SA-16 Albatross.

FILE0429copy_zpsae53a62e.jpg

Inside the box

Instructions, typically Monogram of the 1950/60's

FILE0431copy_zps8deb7b2f.jpg

Model parts - Fuselage

FILE0433copy_zps7e437ac8.jpg

Sprue shots - note the life raft for a diorama

FILE0435copy_zps7cf763e7.jpg

Markings, look a bit thick -we'll see how they go :shrug:

FILE0432copy_zpseaeeae6a.jpg

More soon when the building begins. :analintruder:

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

Nice choice Alan.

Believe it or not that's the first time that I've seen Monogram instructions - fascinating. Very 50s comic book.

Cliff

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Apologies for not updating in a while, after the start of the group build, my work team learned

that we would be restructured, and our positions disestablished (we still have jobs but not the same).

So for the most part, dealing with submisions etc, not a lot of modelling has been done.

However some has been acomplished.

before I post, I wish to thank Cliff/Andy and Tim for their comments - Tim I did see your build, and had saved it

into my favourites prior to the build- thank you!

Anyway on with what I have thus far

I have sanded off the raised rivets on the fuselage using wet/dry paper (finest grained)

FILE0477copy_zpsf2f9c2dd.jpg

I had toyed with building an interior but decided against, as I want to build a model not get bogged down in detail.

All I have done to break up the open interior, is to add in a rear bulkhead and a forward bulkhead. Note I scribed

in the interior doors (not that you will see them- Ah the plans of mice & men :mental: )

FILE0475copy_zpsb97e57c3.jpg

FILE0474copy_zpsda403946.jpg

I have also added in the fuselage windows (had I taken the time, I would have used something else, like like the

plastic you get on spiral bindings/shirt box covers)

From inside

FILE0476copy_zpse5058794.jpg

From outside

FILE0477copy_zpsf2f9c2dd.jpg

Hopefully next post will show some interior paint and cockpit.

In researching this aircraft, I have discovered that the interior had sound proofing, especially in the main cabin,

and the colours seem to differ from Olive Drab to Light Grey to Sea Green :hmmm:

More soon, hope you enjoy :D

Regards

Alan