Pavla (yes Pavla!) 1/72 Airspeed Oxford Mk I - RCAF Neepawa Manitoba 1942

I've got a bunch of Pavla kits in my stash.

Every time I feel like a long, slow, arduous and excruciatingly painful building process I pull one out and take a good long time to build it. *LOL* This one took me, off and on, about 2 years - even though I still have to drop the aerial on the top of the fuselage I am calling it "DONE" - what a royal pain these kits are (at least for me) - BUT the good part is you learn a lot about modeling and what skills you need to work on and practice and you also learn a lot about patience :grin:

Lots of issues with this one - the landing/wing light clear cover should be better fitted (but I can't be bothered - it's that type of kit), I should have sanded down the trailing edges a LOT. I should have been far more careful in my sanding/filling (that is what this is supposed to be about, practicing that stuff) and my thinning/PSI needs work in order for the paint to sit nicely and not get orange peel.

That said though, I'm happy to be completed with this one :yahoo: mainly because, aww heck, I love the paint scheme. I didn't think I would be able to mask it effectively but it seemed to be done decently and the Xtracrylix paints matched up nicely to the Xtradecal sheet (I would hope so!!). It's given me confidence in masking more difficult schemes in the future.

I wonder just how much better the AZ Model version of these old Pavla moulds will be. . . .

Cheers, :cheers:

Dave

DSC_5960.jpg

DSC_5962.jpg

DSC_5964.jpg

DSC_5965.jpg

DSC_5966.jpg

DSC_5958.jpg

• Like 11

Nice job indeed. This really takes me back to being bored at school and drawing one of these from a feature in Wings magazine. I'm sure I should have been doing quadratic equations or some other form of mental torture.

I love all that yellow!! :goodjob:

Now it needs a Cessna Crane to keep it company :)

A trick to help the canopy frames look a bit more solid is to use clear decal film. First paint it with the interior colour, then the exterior. Cut it into slivers the width of the frames, then trim it to the length of the frame segments and apply it like any other decal.

Nice Oxford Dave.

I too like the scheme. In fact I have a stalled build waiting to get going again of the Special Hobby Anson and have the same decal sheet to do one of the Canadian ones in a smilar scheme.

(another for my Canadian collection!)

Likewise nearly finishing Airfix Anson and deciding on a similair scheme. Brit trainers are a great theme with tons of subjects. I had Pavla down as a quality kit maker, as going to try their Gladiator. Great build by the way, quirky subject and lovely scheme.

Whoa... thanks for the compliments folks :thanks: I rarely post but I liked my last two builds so much I thought I would share. Thank you again as it makes me feel like I'm finally getting something right when it comes to building!!! I honestly despise and love the Pavla kits at the same time *LOL* :lol: - heck I have their Miles Master and Tiger Moth yet to attempt.

Paul, I still have been vacillating over whether to spend the money on the Special Hobby Anson or suffer the slings and arrows of the old Airfix kit :D I love the Anson and so wish to do a few of them but we'll see.

Jessica, I did the Pavla Crane as well and, it was, a lot worse for wear than this Oxford. It appears as though some of the Pavla kits were really really nice while others looked as though they were "hurried" off the production line.

I have a big soft spot in my heart for trainers - I don't know why but I do - and the schemes that can be done with them really are colourful and add a bit of "life" to the otherwise dreary camo that usually is done.

Cheers, :cheers:

Dave

Yes I like trainers too, I've built the Special Hobby Oxford and Anson, both interesting kits to build but very rewarding and I've another Annie in the stash. My scale is 1/48th and I'm desperately hoping some kind manufacturer will bring out a Percival Proctor to accompany the DH Dominie that I'm currently making, both used for w/op training of course.

Max

• 2 months later...

Very nice. I put together Pavla's Seibel 104 several years ago and after that experience, anyone who can get through a Pavla kit to completion and the level of finish you have done has my full respect.

Pavla certainly doesn't spoon feed the modeler.

Still to make a Pavla kit and all the comments aren't making me feel any better. For training aircraft the old Frog / Novo range offers quite a few and still at a good price on evil-bay when they turn up.

• 3 years later...