1/48 Revell OA-10A Catalina +++FINISHED+++

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark, Arnold, Orjan and Gary...

Well after a LOT of masking, I got the Humbrol 60 on to the tail and the inner wing tips and masked that...

003_zps2e051415.jpg

Then I sprayed the Grey/Blue...I used Xtracrylix PRU Blue, thinned and got that on fairly trouble-free

004_zps1f8bc151.jpg

There are a couple of bleeds onto the yellow in the middle but all apart from one will be covered with decal and I will touch up the other with some localised spraying (its a small patch where my masking tape had lifted.

I will let her rest and the start masking the de-icer boots on the leading edges :yikes: Thanks for looking

Thanks Andy! Going to start the de-icers after dinner. Had a bit of a panic on because I thought I'd lost the nose-wheel (or rather one of the cats had fished it out of the box!) but found it in the corner of the room.

• Like 1

Those colours are coming nicely together. I need to see this one finished. :goodjob:

Cheers,

Big steps this weekend, I hope Arnold!

Very nice indeed Andy, I could see it with a cut down fuselage sat on the "Oggin",, Great work so far with a fairly difficult model to put together, (from experience).................Smudge

Hmmm...maybe a step too far Smudge although it would get rid of the dodgy joint along the keel! Your water tutorial is about 3 months too late, mate!

Thanks Dave! I was just downloading the next snaps as you posted!

A mammoth masking session for the de-icers completed today - yards of tape and scraps of magazine pages/post-it notes/cling film...

001_zpsb3e9d2cc.jpg

002_zpsff0d3f9c.jpg

It was very fiddly in places, especially around the tailplane and fin but after burnishing all the egdes and checking for small gaps, I loaded the airbrush with Tamiya Flat Black

I'm like a kid when it comes to wanting to see whether it worked and as soon as the paint was touch-dry, I peeled off all that tape and thankfully all OK with no bleed!

Here she is mocked up. Wheels were masked at the same time and they look good too.

005_zps0883d9aa.jpg

Next jobs are Alclad Gloss Kote which will take at least 2 days, ready for decals. A quick whizz around the wheels wells to touch up the Interior Green. The struts for the wing have been painted. Once sealed, I will start decals and then do the weathering - just some thinned white paint. Exhausts need painting. I should make next Sunday!

Thanks for looking

• Like 1

Hi all

The deadline is creeping up and I spent Sunday and last night doing the decals and some minor paint touch ups. I also glued the fuel tank vents on the top of the wing. I have basically finished the decals and...she is colourful!

I thought I'd publish a sneak preview!

001_zps00003f8e.jpg

002_zpscedc72a3.jpg

003_zps97daf214.jpg

004_zpsfd6e6a1f.jpg

The main decals are Revell's. They are quite thick (and large) and bite fairly quickly once on the plastic but the fitted perfectly. The wing and fuselage stripes are from my own stock of 1/8" black decal strip as I thought I was inviting trouble with the Revell ones especially round the compound curves at the fuselage rear.

Next up is a dry fit of the wing struts once the wing is in place.

I'm tempted not to weather her too much as she is quite striking as she is. I will paint the mooring cable and do some light washes and artist's chalks.

Thanks for looking

• Like 1

Done...well at least as far as I am concerned! Welcome to OA-10-V1 Catalina s/n 44-33939, ARS4R9, 4th Rescue Squadron, USAF, Hamilton AFB, California.

All-in-all a good kit but difficult in places. I put 60g weight in the nose and tested her for balance and she was fine but I forgot I hadn't fitted the tailplanes! :doh: So now she is a tail-sitter! Luckily Revell give you some clear rod as a support so I used that. Bugger!

Tamiya, Halfords, Xtracrylix and Humbrol paints used. Flory wash and chalks used for light weathering. I didn't want her heavily weathered as the limited photographs I have seen show them worn rather than mucky.

Eduard masks and kit decals. Now, where on earth am I going to put her??? Btw the underside pic is blurred because I couldn't lean the a/c against anything so was trying to focus the camera while holding the model!

001_zps7e4bf623.jpg

002_zpsa67e84fe.jpg

003_zpsaea87d57.jpg

004_zps393e9eba.jpg

005_zps8ccb47a2.jpg

006_zpsd5177146.jpg

007_zpsc031b92a.jpg

008_zps5a40b412.jpg

009_zps4aaab3d4.jpg

010_zpsda84c901.jpg

011_zps654daf46.jpg

012_zps005601e2.jpg

013_zps9360c272.jpg

014_zps59dc19e3.jpg

019_zps415052f3.jpg

015_zpsd9f6408f.jpg

017_zpsd7d694ee.jpg

• Like 2

That must be one big model to find a home for now that it is all together! You have done quite a job and finished one of the most colourful builds of this GB.

Thanks dave - yes, it's a little on the large side! It has a temporary home on the coffee table at the moment :thumbsup: