1/48 Revell OA-10A Catalina +++FINISHED+++

Hi all

Mine is going to be the Canadian Vickers OA-10A version of the USN PBY, flown as a rescue a/c by the USAF in the immediate post-war.

Box shots...

011_zps365a48fb.jpg

012_zps417c3bc2.jpg

013_zps07cbbc8b.jpg

It's going to be colourful and very BIG! Storage, post-build, may be a problem! I have ordered some Eduard masks for all that complicated glazing, then I will be ready to start from 6th onwards! See you all then!

Hi Andy

Cats are always a cool model to see built, sooo many different types in different roles

of service.

The RNZAF base at Hobsonville in Auckland was the home to Catalinas for some time

(way before my time though)

Look forward to your build

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan and Doug - they are pretty cool looking birds! I wanted to do something a little different than 3-tone USN, or RAF Coastal - I really fancied a 'Black Cat' but this will do - nice and colourful!

Nice one Andy. I thought what is a OA-10? How stupid of me to not know that! :banghead: You always learn something on BM.

Cheers and happy modelling,

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a start on this...

Sprayed all the cockpit parts Lifecolor Interior Green and then started some minor detail painting. Instrument panel dials and bezels were painted black. Seat covers were painted Tamiya Olive Green and the belts Tamiya Buff.

The IP decal was applied with Sol and Set and snuggled down nicely.

001_zps10deae37.jpg

The seats were glued together and the rudder pedals added

002_zps4cb3ae70.jpg

A Flory brown mud wash was added and then removed with a moistened cotton bud after 10 mins...

003_zps415e1ad5.jpg

All was then given a light dry-brush of Chrome Silver to simulate wear and tear

004_zpscc2f2750.jpg

Seat, floor and rear bulkhead glued and left to set - apologies for the 'wonky' pic!

005_zpsb925e0bc.jpg

Should get some progress on this through the next week. Thanks for looking

Hi all

Some progress on the big Catalina...cockpit and front platform in and the leather seat painted

001_zpse7d10ede.jpg

002_zps9590576f.jpg

Rear observation/gunnery platform and bulkhead. Dry brushed and given a Flory wash

003_zps877dc2e7.jpg

Dry fit of the cockpit - not sure where I am going to fit the nose weights!

004_zps0e118ff0.jpg

So I can spray them while assembled I erected and glued the complicated u/c gear by dry fitting into the wheel wells and glueing in-situ. Once hardened, I just pulled the structure out and they are now ready for undercoat and Alclad

005_zpsf9e6892a.jpg

A dry fit of the fuselage showed I have a major warp problem under the rear of the keel. Obviously a mould release/heat problem and I will have to get the Marigolds on and dunk it in very hot water and try and cure it

006_zpsa8e173c3.jpg

Rear platform and bulkheads glued in

007_zps2ba0e41a.jpg

I will have to deal with that fuselage before I do anything else! Thanks for looking

Hi all

Well, I've got the Cat' buttoned up - but what a struggle. About 50g in fishing weights was glued in and the small windows fitted with Gator Grip glue.

The fuselage is quite warped (possibly cos it's so large?) so gluing has been 2 inches at a time, Clamp between fingers, apply Liquid Poly and squeeze and hold for 5 minutes. That way I got the worst of the kinks out, including most if not all of the worst one under the keel.

It will still need plenty of rubbing down and filler. The front end...

001_zps99be2214.jpg

The remainder of the fuselage

002_zpsf92d1b09.jpg

Finally also started gluing the wing, Sheesh this is big and comes in 5 parts. I have glued 4 and will finish tomorrow as there is quite a bit of flex in the wing and I don't want to pop the joints so I'm leaving it plenty of time between panels. You can see the size against the 12in rule in front

003_zpscb5c35af.jpg

Tail planes have been glued - next job will be scraping, filling and sanding the fuselage and wings. Due to the sheer size, I'm going to try and leave the wings off until the very end (after paint and decals. Thanks for looking.

Great work Andy.

If you fit the wing in the end than take a good look at how the stuts fit. From memory I did the same and hade some trouble with getting those fitted correctly.

Cheers,

Thanks Arnold - I may do the same as I did with the u/c legs and dry fit the wing and glue the bottom of the struts in place and tack the tops into the wing until the bottom is solid, then take the wing off...and then try and not knock them off!

• Like 1

Hi all

I've been slaving away on getting the fit of the fuselage sorted - several sanding and filling visits due to the warping which my glue technique only partially sorted out. Finally got all joints smooth

001_zps0393ef49.jpg

I will prime and sort out lost detail post-prime. In anticipation, Eduard masks on next

002_zpsdab2c076.jpg

The ammo chute/tray for the waist gunners was sprayed Alclad Steel and the shells picked out with Mr Colour Brass...the pre-cut masks are nice

003_zpsfad58cc3.jpg

The nose and canopy dry-fitted. I need to finish the canopy windscreen and then once glued in will spray Interior Green before heading off to the garage for the Halfords primer

Ta for looking

• 1 month later...

Hi all

This is turning out to be a REAL slog! Ghost seams, cracked wing and just trying to manoeuvre it around is a pain :banghead:

Anyway, Iv'e been at this on and off for another month and I'm conscious that time is running out. Finally got all the seams dealt with to 95% satisfaction. The cracked wing I think came from the thing flexing as it is constructed from interlocking upper and lowers (5 pieces). I repaired that and started attaching some bits and pieces.

Canopies were sprayed Lifecolor Interior Green and the radome fitted on the cockpit. Here is a flavour of its o/a size asi tacked the wing in place! Thats my 1/72 Tornado on the left!

001_zps3ba7cf9a.jpg

Stuffed tissue into all the crevices ready for priming

004_zps24230142.jpg

Engines, cowlings, pitot and aerial mounts fitted and checked for seams. I also fitted the wingtip floats in the UP position as I don't see many actual photos of amphibious Cats with them down when on their wheels. Also it was a lot less complicated to do so.

005_zpsa617c652.jpg

She is the garage for primer tonight (top half) and will be primed complete tomorrow. I understand the weather is rubbish on Sunday, so may get the underside white on in the garage then. I can then start thinking about masking for the Grey Blue/Yellow/Red!

Thanks for looking

Very briefest of updates...

Got her primed and the Halfords white on...tonight I sprayed the Humbrol Trainer Yellow 154 to the wings and fuselage...

001_zpse47039dc.jpg

Tomorrow I will try and get the red on...she will then be ready for the Grey/Blue which I am going to use Xtracrylix PRU Blue (I think) or Tamiya Blue Grey...haven't decided yet. Is going to be a lot of shifting about and masking - I have decided to leave the de-icer boots until the end...mistake? We shall see!

Thanks for looking