835 NAS Fairey Swordfish Mk.II and Mk.III, HMS Nairana

Ragtag

Sturtivant says 835 received 4 Wildcat VIs to replace the Hurricanes.  Three of these seems to be JV702 YD,  JV712 YV and JV718 YW, all received by the squadron at Machrihanish on 2 October 1944 and embarking in Nairana on 4 October.  There also appear to have been attrition replacements or augmentation of the Fighter Flight (JV748 YZ, received 20 Nov 1944, JV746 YN received 28 Dec 1944, JV749 (no code given) in March 1945).  It i tempting to suggest that the photo depicts JV746 YN.  Sturtivant records no incidents for this aircraft and by 29 Mar 1945 it was serving with 821 Sq.  Maybe the incident was not as serious as appears and not worth bothering higher management with.  Or Sturtivant's sources were simply incomplete.

If it is JV749, suggest a date in very late Dec 44 (Arr with squadron 28 Dec 44) or early January 1945: the overwing roundels are still Type B (ie no white)

I'm with Claudio: substitute colours on Eastern-built aircraft.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while responding, but many thanks to you all for all this valuable information. I'm now trying to pin down the correct roundals and serial number details for both the Swordfish and the Martlets of 835 NAS.

I have the Airfix Swordfish kit - it's very old as it has a price sticker for £1.99? The two schemes are either for the 842 Taranto raid, or for RAF119 Coastal Command.

The roundals measure approx:-  18mm (50") overwing - 'B' type, and 12mm (35") 'C1'? type with narrow yellow band for the fuselarge.  What would the correct type and size be for 835 squadron Swordfish? The picture I posted previously would indicate no underside roundals? What colour and font (Sans Serif?) was used for the 'Royal Navy' and serial number? The squadron markings are in red, but again the painting would indicate black?

The Martlet kit is Airfix Martlet MkIV with Operation Torch decals - overwing 18mm (50"), Fuselarge 12mm (35"), underwing?  Would these be correct for the 835 Squadron Martlets, and would the missing 'Royal Navy' and serial be black and the same size and for the Swordfish?

The 835 Martlets were Mk VI, is there an easy way to modify the Mk IV kit ( i.e. a larger tail and exhaust details?

As ever I'm very grateful for any help or advice you can give me.

Regards Martin

16 hours ago, PoPmodeller said:

he 835 Martlets were Mk VI, is there an easy way to modify the Mk IV kit ( i.e. a larger tail and exhaust details?

The easy way to get a MkVI Wildcat is to get either an Arma Hobby kit or an AZ kit, both are available in FAA boxings. The Arma kit is the newer and much better option, though the undercarriage, as on any Wildcat kit it fiddly to assemble.

Wildcat Mk VI, Arma Hobby 70032 (2020) (scalemates.com)

Martlet Mk.VI, AZ model AZ7321 (2010) (scalemates.com)

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, PoPmodeller said:

I have finally finished the Wildcat respendant in the correct markings p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

Your link doesn't work! Have you not tried a proper image hosting site yet?

Chris