Hi all,

I had to pull out of the Third Reich GB .

Now that all the worst is behind me concerning my wife I might find the time again to build in this GB.

Their's a big convention this WE in Belgium. I'm sure I will find something.

Edited by Erwin

Hi

Can't remember if I put my name down for this GB or not, but I fancy building the Czech Model Curtiss SO3C Seamew that I have in the stash, if no one objects to me joining?

Does anybody know of a source of any photo's of Seamew's in the water or photo's showing where the ships crane attached, there seems to be a lack of good reference material on them!

Richard

Hi Erwin, Richard, you're both very welcome to join in when it starts. I'm sure you can find something at that convention Erwin.

Richard - Doesn't matter if you had put your name down or not, you can still join in. A Seamew would be great, can't help you with the attachment point, but I'm sure someone can.

I'll be getting started at some point. With what I'm still unsure but I have plenty here to choose from. I need to make a start on my Mosquito in that GB too but it's chuffing freezing out in my garage.

All GB related chant in here please

Here we go, here we go, here we go - well you did say chant.

Joining in with an Airfix Widgeon. Gifted to me without box for donating some spares - but I've forgoten the details. Hopefully it's all there - we'll see.

I suppose this fits here. Paul J's DHC2 diorama in the completed general aviation thread reminded me of a book, largely about float planes, that a friend in Canada sent me years ago. Great reading and inspirational stories of early postwar flying.

51W0Z3N9BJL._SL500_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

A touch late, perhaps, but I would very much like to join the fray very soon. I have been away with work for a month, requiring me to finish off my well-advanced Le Mans and Mosquito GB entries first, but there's still plenty of time to complete my propoed floatplane.

I would like to have a go at the Heinkel He115 operated by the RAF from the Kalafrana seaplane base in Malta during 1941. There is only one blurry image that I'm aware of so will have to go cautiously, this being one of the five Heinkels to have been ferried out of Norway by escaping crews in the spring of 1940. Legend has it that there were two RAF-operated Heinkels on the Island, one being destroyed in its hangar by Italian bombing and one being shot down - although all the accounts I have read refer only to one aircraft.

The principal activities for the Heinkel were dropping off agents in occupied North Africa and picking up stranded aircrew. It was in this latter role, when attempting to rescue the crew of a downed Swordfish which was itself on clandestine ops, that it was apparently shot down.

Unlike other RAF-operated He115s, which carried Dark Earth/Dark Green/Night camouflage with RAF roundels, the aircraft on Malta retained splinter camouflage and German markings. Quite what the exact markings were is a mystery. It's a remarkable story, one I'd like to dig around a bit while putting together this kit - I'll be using the Revell reissue of the old Matchbox (and reminding myself that I really don't enjoy masking canopies at all!)

Anyway, all being well I'll join you as soon as possible.

Wondered if I might jump in on this one? I was up in Johannesburg over the weekend and found the Revell Martin PBM-5 Mariner kit number H-258-98. No scale is referred to on the box, I think it's from the 50's and a fit the box kit.

So as there is still almost two months to run on the GB, can I give it a bash?

Colin

Hi,

Expressed an interest last year and then missed the start date. Still like to join and would like to try converting the Eastern Express Hansa Brandenburg starstrutter into the German Navy KDW floatplane version.

Regards, Steve.

Yes of course Colin. Good choice!

Magic, thanks Doug, I've taken the obligatory box art pic and same for the parts. So with the nod I'll start right away and then post some pics either later today or tomorrow.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a good look through the participants pics and choices and I have to say there are some brave soles out there with some exquisite subject selections.

Colin

I was sort of aware that the subject would lure some fairly esoteric aircraft out of the modelling ether, and some nice multi media kits.

Still got people joining as it's going along.