F-100D (Italeri 1:72)

Ian

Hello all, Kia Ora (as the locals say).

In the middle of a couple of long projects (1:48 Spit IX, Hurri IIc & RF-4), none of which I've not posted here, because I forgot :tomato: and like a lot of modellers with 'long-range' projects on the bench, I'm taking a quick divert into a 'quick OoB build just to keep the creative juices flowing.

So here's my 'diversion':

Hunpic_zpsff694e48.jpg

Hundecals_zps9e2058ed.jpg

Using the sweet Italeri 1:72 F-100 - secured without packaging nor decals from eBay for £3.00 just before we left for NZ, and the excellent Xtradecal sheet 72-116 I hope to finish it as FW- 319 as you see in the photo from 'Colour & Markings'. I've made a start by first spraying the rear section with Tamiya glossy black acrylic straight from the rattle-can:

Hun1_zps1d3b66ec.jpg

I've also sprayed the cockpit 'bath' and the insides (dk. gull grey). Will probably be able to get the fuselage buttoned-up this evening (our time). Photo's tomorrow, hopefully. Total time taken so far: +/-70mins.

More soon, thanks for looking.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I love that ESCI F-100 kit - it's still the best one out there, in my opinion. Nice choice of markings, too. Those natural metal Huns with the colourful squadron markings are just so cool! Especially when they're all nice and shiny, so don't go crazy with weathering! :)

Looking forward to more installments.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Ian,

Those natural metal Huns with the colourful squadron markings are just so cool! :) Looking forward to more installments.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, but sorry to inform, it's a painted silver lacquer finish, which I have to admit, every time I've tried to do it, it's come-out badly. Prefer a nice straight NMF anytime !!

Ian

Hi, for a silver laquer finish have you tried car accessory paint. I used Halfords Nissan Silver on this.

IMG_0027.jpg

it seemed to turn out ok. I would think you can get something similar down there.

Personally I find the car laquers to have a too heavy a pigment in it.. If Alclad isn't available, I'd go for Humbrol metalcote, myself..

I do love those F100's. Built one a while ago in it's Tamiya boxing.. It's being hammered in storage though.

Personally I find the car laquers to have a too heavy a pigment in it.. If Alclad isn't available, I'd go for Humbrol metalcote, myself..

I agree, was thinking about Metalcote, but found a bottle of Tamiya acrylic 'Flat Aluminium' that I didn't even know I had !! :smartass: - I'll be using this, if I don't like the end result I'll overspray with Metalcote.

Ian

Gunze also produce a very nice Aluminum - the Mr. Metal Colour MC218. I have recently apply it on a P-47 that I'm building and believe me it can "pop-up" even the smallest scratch !!!

Looking forward to see your model finished. Nice set of decals, by the way!

Cheers

Sernak

Thanks Bill, but sorry to inform, it's a painted silver lacquer finish, which I have to admit, every time I've tried to do it, it's come-out badly. Prefer a nice straight NMF anytime !!

Ian

I always use Floquil "Old Silver" for the overall silver paint. I'm not sure that's available over on the other side of the pond, though.

The silver lacquer paint was applied as an anti-corrosion measure as part of Operation LOOK-ALIKE beginning in 1962. The F-100 went into service in 1954, so there are a lot of bare metal planes prior to LOOK-ALIKE. (There are even a few that were painted in ADC Gray!) It's a good idea to check references, photos, etc. to see if the aircraft you're modelling had gone through those upgrades. One method that I use is to simply check photos for variation in colour on different panels (especially the underside), not counting the area around the jet exhaust which was always unpainted. If you can see a lot of variation in the panels, it's a bare metal finish. If it looks very even, and you can't pick out individual panels, then it's been painted silver. A great example of a bare metal F-100 is on page 15 of Detail & Scale Volume 33.

And, of course, the USAF Thunderbirds were highly polished bare metal with glossy red, white, and blue accents. Probably my favorite F-100 scheme!

Cheers,

Bill

Revell 99 Aqua Acrylic gives a nice finish as i've just found out on my F-86. I'm not saying it's the holy grail when it comes to NMF but i'll definitely use it again!

It's a good idea to check references, photos, etc. to see if the aircraft you're modelling had gone through those upgrades.

Cheers,

Bill

That's partly why I posted the pic from the book at the top of this thread, Bill. There's a lot been said about NMF on so many occasions, on so many web-sites, but I genuinely believe a 'realistic' lacquer finish is almost equally hard to reproduce - hence I wanted to challenge m'self with this wee project. Whatever lessons I learn here, I'll take to a second (Esci) F-100, then apply them to a 1:48 F-105 that I'm planning on finishing as a Bitburg machine from the mid 1960's.

Back to the 'Hun' - Now it’s all ready for the first painting sessions:

Hun2a_zps2f76be16.jpg

Hun2b_zps3bbaaa4e.jpg

Hun2c_zpsbe441d52.jpg

Hun2d_zpsfb14b252.jpg

I’ve read other builders reports on this kit – and how it’s a straight re-box of the old Esci kit. But that isn’t quite true, as evidenced by the cockpit shot. There are some raised details in this kit which aren’t especially accurate, but as a ‘representation’ are far better than the decals we get in the original Esci kit; there’s also an early straight refuelling probe and the earlier ‘short’ 230 gallon drop-tanks.

Next job – Assault the rear fuselage with various tones of Alclad, and spray the wheel bays interior green. More soon, thanks for taking the time to look. Total time taken so far +/- 120mins

Ian

Edited by Ian

Thats going to look great! Especially in Lakenheath colours...(am i correct?)

Here is my F-100A from the same kit. (ok the FW number is incorrect so it has a little artistic licence but the tail and wings have been altered to show an early version)

Painted in aerosol Tamiya Silver and left clean and shiny, I have an 1/72 Ertl version I will finish as a Thunderbird also.

sabre700_zps1f3875c1.jpg

• Like 1

Odd sort of day, managed to screw-up my appointments quite badly, so was home at 10.30, then back-out again at 14.30. Just got home again now at 20.25 local.

But in those couple of hours pre & post lunchtime, I managed to do this !!

Hun3c_zps857c25e0.jpg

Hun3cc_zps90b5c91f.jpg

Hun3b_zps738bb7e9.jpg

Hun3bb_zps4eac31cc.jpg

Hun3a_zps13ba5c0c.jpg

Hun3aa_zps8d388cf9.jpg

I used Alclad Aluminium, White Aluminium and Duralumin for the basic metal tones and then ‘after lunch’ gently sprayed Tamiya clear blue, orange and ‘smoke’ in bands to simulate the heat patterns that we associate with the F-100. And before anybody points it out I KNOW ABOUT THE ‘SPLUTT’ ABOVE THE RIGHT SIDE STABILISER TAB !! (It’s been sorted !!). And yes there are a couple of spits aswell all of which will disappear once I dust some dark pastels around aswell. Total time taken so far +/-240mins

AFN

Ian

Here is a nice example of using Floquil Old Silver:

Link

Cheers,

Bill

You're right that is nice, Bill. Cannot get Floquil here in NZ... or if you can I haven't found it. The more I think about it the more I'm leaning toward using Humbrol MetalCote over a generic matt grey base-coat. What do you guys think ??

Ian

• 1 month later...

Now back at my modelling desk, I've made a little more progress on the 'Hun'

Hun4a_zpse85896e2.jpg

Hun4b_zps98b2b6ca.jpg

Hun4c_zps685cb591.jpg

Hun4d_zpsf6233eec.jpg

Two coats of Xtracolour 'Aluminium' over a base coat of Humbrol Metalcote 'Flat Aluminium'. Then sprayed the wingtips Xtracolour 'Oxford Blue' in preparation for the stripes. As ever thanks for looking.

More later in the week as the decals start going on !!

Ian

Decals on....

Hun5a_zps79ed0a28.jpg

Hun5b_zpsc972daba.jpg

Hun5c_zpsdff08bdc.jpg

Hun5d_zps48062d72.jpg

Xtradecal, and MIcro/Superscale sheets used. Have to say... it's beginning to look good now !! - Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment.

Ian

• Like 1

All finished...

Hun1a_zps7e07d24e.jpg

...I've posted more pics in 'Ready for Inspection'. Thanks for looking and commenting, really enjoyed this wee build.

AFN

Ian

• Like 1

Here is a nice example of using Floquil Old Silver:

Link

Cheers,

Bill

Unfortunately Floquil old silver along with the entire Floquil line has been discontinued by Testors. So get them while you can.