Colour Pic. I.D. please......

Etiennedup

The engine is a P&W R-985 Wasp Junior, direct drive, constant speed prop. The aircraft is probably either an Oxford V or a Beech 18/ C-45 / Expeditor, call it what you will. I don't think it's an Anson V.

Edited by Work In Progress

I must admit I wouldn't have linked Ansons and P&W!

It's not a common coupling at all. Mark V only. Canadian built for local aircrew training, and as far as I can see from a quick google, tending strongly towards being yellow in service, which this doesn't look like. But I certainly can't rule it out being an Anson V, despite a vague feeling that it isn't. In picking candidates I really only feel on sure ground on the basis of the engine, the uniform and the obvious twin-engine low-wing monoplane configuration. My personal aircraft recognition skill set is not good enough to work off such a restricted view of the actual airframe.

John Adams might be able to help, as I don;t know anyone who knows as much about Ansons as he does. I am unsure about the life and times of the Anson V and what configurations it came in. The existing one, which is in the Canadian Aviation Museum, is a high roof variant with little portholes. I don't know whether that was what all the Mark V were like.

There's a pic of it here on Flickr, but you;ll have to click through, I can't link it in-line here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/news46/3774585043/sizes/z/in/photostream/

Edited by Work In Progress

The problem here is that the Mk.V had the plywood fuselage with the round portholes, which this one doesn't. I wouldn't necessarily rule out a yellow scheme, from the quality of the photo.

The spinner does point towards one of the US types. The Oxford Mk.V with the P&W seems to have lacked these - as indeed did the Anson Mk.V.

It does at first glance look like an Oxford if it isn't some other kind of twin impressed into service.

The cap badge may be another clue. It's probably a standard RAF badge as issued, but it looks somehow different. Where did the photo originate from, any ideas? It looks very staged and surely with the rarity of colour film at the time it is likely that there are other photos in the same set.

I intend to agree with you V Vee. Although Roger Freeman’s photo is a little inconclusive a few others in a Google

image search fit the bill perfectly.

So it seems the problem is solved.......thanks to you and Work in Progress. :thumbsup:

Incidentally, this image comes from a 1943 publication “British Women Go to War” by J.B. Priestley and contains about fifty

wartime colour photos by P.G. Hennell.

Thanks again chaps.

• 4 years later...