Vampires used by the Rhodesian ?

Tonka

I am doing some searches to build 1/48 Vampires, FB and Trainers, used by the Southern Rhodesia

during the 70's, so I need to know :

- is the Trump kit usable ? any problems about accuracy ?

- are the OOP Classic Airframes , FB and Trainer usable ? What kits ? Where to find they ?

Thanks

Tonka

Here's my Rhodesian/Zimbabwean Hobbycraft Vampire. Apparently it does have some fairly major shape issues, but it looks the part to me. Finished with Eduard PE (altho you really can't see any of it here) Xtracolour paint and using the kit decals.

Vampire.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Tonka,

Note that SRAF FB9s were withdrawn from service in the mid-1950s. Those in Rhodesian service during the 1970s were FB52s delivered from South Africa from 1974 onwards. The FB9s thus never had the dark green/ dark earth camouflage scheme of the 1970s...

Regarding trainers, those in the 1970s were T55s from SA, although I believe some T11s might have still been in service during this period.

Edited by about:blank

The Rhodesian AF received sixteen Vampire FB 9s between November 1953 and October 1954. The last ones were withdrawn from service in early 1965 and I have a coloured side plate depicting RRAF102 (ex-WX238) of No.2 Squadron in 1963 wearing a dark brown, green and silver camouflage, with Post Federation Single Assegai roundels. The former SAAF Vampire FB 52s were supplied from 1969 to maintain the air force's capability during the prolonged Bush War and the last one was withdrawn in March 1980.

There is an additional note about the camouflage worn by the Vampires of No.2 Squadron: by 1975, the squadron's Vampires were finished in matt dark earth and dark green top surfaces with sky undersurfaces; this scheme was slightly modified by 1979 to include an overall brown and green camouflage and the removal of all national markings.

Twenty-one Vampire T 55s were transferred from South Africa from 1969 (probably as attrition aircraft) and supplemented the earlier Vampire T 11s, which were finally withdrawn in September 1977

I hope that this is of interest?

• Like 1

To clarify my earlier post, I meant to say the FB9s were delivered in the mid-1950s (December 1953- May 1955 to be precise). The first to be withdrawn from service was RRAF110, which crashed in August 1956.

Can't find any references to SAAF FB52s delivered pre-1974 (the Rhodesian "lion" roundel was introduced in March 1970), although there was often quite a lot of "loaning" of various aircraft from South Africa to Rhodesia.

I now have my notes in front of me and it shows that 13 Vampire FB 52s were transferred from South Africa between November 1974 and February 1977, whereas 21 Vampire T 55s were transferred at various dates from 1969.

The first four Vampire 9s were ferried from Benson to Salisbury on 12 December 1953. Four more Vampire 9s (and a RAF Vampire T 11, XD454, with two RAF instructors) arrived on 20 May 1954, followed by a further six Vampire 9s on 10 August 1954. Five Vampire T 11s arrived on 10 March 1955, followed by three Vampire T 11s and the last Vampire 9s (RRAF110/RRAF111) on 4 May 1955. The balance of the outstanding Vampire T 11s was delivered on 1 November 1955.

In April 1980 the Rhodesian Air Force became the Air Force of Zimbabwe, the markings being changed as per Don's fine model. I have a photograph of Vampire T.55, R4221, of No.2 Squadron, Air Force of Zimbabwe, at New Sarum on 25 Oct 1981 wearing brown and green topsurfaces and silver undersurfaces, complete with the new insignia.

I am doing some searches to build 1/48 Vampires, FB and Trainers, used by the Southern Rhodesia

during the 70's, so I need to know :

- is the Trump kit usable ? any problems about accuracy ?

- are the OOP Classic Airframes , FB and Trainer usable ? What kits ? Where to find they ?

Thanks

Tonka

What planet have you been on Tonka!!! :D

Here's just one of the 'debates' on here...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234936581-best-148-vampire-kit/

• 1 year later...

vampiredave: The T.11's of the Rhodesian Air Force were never painted brown underneath. They were the only aircraft to retain a silver underside and have gloss uppersides.

Tonka: Here are a couple of photos of my 1/48 FB9 and T.11 Vampires of the Rhodesian AF. These were both Hobbycraft kits:

No2SquadrondeHavillandVampireFB9.jpg

No2SquadrondeHavillandVampireT11.jpg

Edited by vulcanxm603
  • Like 2

vulcanxm603: while I would agree that Rhodesian Vampires began wearing dark brown, green and silver camouflage from about 1958 when they were deployed to Aden, my comment regarding brown undersurfaces applied to the aircraft comes from a colour photograph of Vampire FB 52, 1378, of No.2 Squadron in 1979. In the background of this photograph is one (perhaps two?) Vampire trainers, which are devoid of national markings but feature brown undersurfaces; the angle of the photograph fails to include any chance of identifying these aircraft? Having said that I also have two colour photographs of Vampire T 55, R4211, of the AFS in 1971 and another of R4221 which was transferred to the AFZ in 1981, both of which have silver undersurfaces. I have no idea why the two (?) depicted in 1979 feature brown undersurfaces and I am reluctant to post a copy of this photograph because of copyright issues.