Come on Eduard, seriously?

Jennings Heilig

I just checked my email they sent me as part of the big build up (this kit better be the end all and be all of the mercurial Mk IX) and they were talking about "additional sprues"? What does that mean? Shouldn't all the parts be in the kit, and what would those "additional sprues" contain? Should be interesting, but I don't fancy spending the price of the kit in extra goodies, especially if they should have been included in the first place. I don't want to microanalyze this kit, I will leave that to others, I just really hope this kit meets the majority of expectations after all the hoopla.

Cheers

I just checked my email they sent me as part of the big build up (this kit better be the end all and be all of the mercurial Mk IX) and they were talking about "additional sprues"? What does that mean? Shouldn't all the parts be in the kit, and what would those "additional sprues" contain? Should be interesting, but I don't fancy spending the price of the kit in extra goodies, especially if they should have been included in the first place. I don't want to microanalyze this kit, I will leave that to others, I just really hope this kit meets the majority of expectations after all the hoopla.

Cheers

The upcoming is a late variant? So the other sprues are for earlies..?

Are you referring to the Overtrees? Basically, they will sell you a full set of additional sprues to make another Spitfire. You don't get the photoetch, decals or instructions. The idea is you use the decal sheet from the box to make a second kit. They tend to sell them pretty cheaply, so it is a good way of getting a second kit.

Are you referring to the Overtrees? Basically, they will sell you a full set of additional sprues to make another Spitfire. You don't get the photoetch, decals or instructions. The idea is you use the decal sheet from the box to make a second kit. They tend to sell them pretty cheaply, so it is a good way of getting a second kit.

Sounds good, if the kit is as good as it looks then an extra kit at a reasonable price would be attractive. I wonder how long it will take for this kit to reach California? When the Airfix Mk XII was released it took three months to get here.

Cheers

You can't even get a basic RAF roundel right?

There's an easy and inexpensive fix. Buy a set of Spitfire decals from Fundekals and use the roundels from that. Fundekals got the proportions and colours just right.

But then you already knew that, dintcha? :lol:

What is this Fundekals of which you speak? It sounds like they might produce a product that one could buy to go on this model.

;)

Well, it's funny you should ask, Jason. They may well produce something suitable... :Dhttp://www.fundekals.com/

I know; just pulling your leg. :whistle:

Based on the recent photos, I've got reservations about a couple of aspects too: the raised Dzus-style fasteners around the nose for example. Probably won't stop me from buying one though, given the long, long wait for a better Spit IX.

cheers,

Jason

Wow, that looks like a great substitute for the useless decals on this yet to be released kit. Thanks!!

Fundekals does a limited run of just a few subjects, they are of high quality and interesting subject matter. If you are interested in making your kit a Mk XVI, providing Eduard offers the wider chord, sharp tipped rudder, then there is a nice set you might be interested in. Barracudacals makes a nice set of decals for "Screwball" Buerling's Mk IX, but if you want real variety then you need to go to Areomaster. I imagine that down the line we will see a Mk VII, VIII, and Mk XVI spring from this Eduard Mk IX offering, it's only logical. If that happens then we should see plenty of decals available.

Cheers

You can't even get a basic RAF roundel right? I wonder how wonderful the rest of the new Überspitfire kit is going to be when we get a good look at it.

Well so long as they didn't put Mk.I wings on an F.22 fuselage I'd rather wait and see rather than jumping the gun.

There's an easy and inexpensive fix. Buy a set of Spitfire decals from Fundekals and use the roundels from that. Fundekals got the proportions and colours just right.

But then you already knew that, dintcha? :lol:

Comment Censored! Ve muzt here haf no humour! :fuhrer:

Edited by Nick Millman

They might have got the proportions right but if the colours are as shown in the roundel above they are wrong! Compared to the MAP colours the blue is too bright (6.22 difference) and the red is too dark (7.23 difference).

I would imagine Nick that its a JPG from an Illustrator file, not an actual printed sample, so I'd not take those as being gospel colour repro. Maybe we should all wait for the kit to come up rather than forming a premature lynch mob? It may be de rigueur on other places, I always thought BM had a bit more of a european wait-and-see approach.

I would imagine Nick that its a JPG from an Illustrator file, not an actual printed sample, so I'd not take those as being gospel colour repro. Maybe we should all wait for the kit to come up rather than forming a premature lynch mob? It may be de rigueur on other places, I always thought BM had a bit more of a european wait-and-see approach.

Er, it was a tongue in cheek response to Enzo's comment - hence the guitar. Also, for the avoidance of doubt I was referring to the 'correct' proportioned roundel not Eduard's. But it looks like your lynch mob is forming for other purposes anyway!

Nick

Edited by Nick Millman

Come on guys, really. Eduard are showing us a jpg image of the vector art file for their decal. The kit is due for release inside a week, so I'm about 99.999% certain the decals have already been printed. As noted, the color you see has nothing to do with the color of the ink the decal printer puts down on the paper. It's an RGB representation of what the artist wanted.

But the actual shapes of the decals are what will be printed. Am I being premature? Well, I have to doubt it a lot. I'm not trying to "lynch" anybody, but come *on* already. It's an error, pure and simple. If Hasegawa had got something so elementary wrong on an RAF subject I doubt anyone would be rushing to their defense. Maybe Eduard can magically fix it. I doubt it seriously. Their usual response of late has been to cast disdain on modelers who point out their errors. Mr. Sulc has been touting this kit as the next best thing to the resurrection of Christ, so it would seem to me they would want to make darn sure everything about it lived up to that. If the subtle shape of a squadron badge or something were wrong it would be one thing. But we're talking about a Type B roundel. The simplest, most standardized thing you can find on an RAF fighter. And they just plain got it wrong.

I'm with Jennings on this. We'd criticise other companies if they did this (and indeed do for example over the erroneous proportions of some USA stars and bars). Why should Eduard or any company be exempt from such criticism? Whether you act on such criticism is a personal matter but it still should be pointed out.

Andy

I for one don't give a monkeys about a 'roundel' being the wrong size. If it's soooo bad and disastrous, don't buy the blasted kit.

• Like 3

I'm really not trying to sell decals.

I know! :D It was me wot mentioned Fundekals, not you. But it doesn't mean I'm wrong. The Fundekals sets are an easy and inexpensive way of getting some accurate roundels.