Rigging & Antennas

dano_68

Hi,

I intend on starting a series of builds for WW1 bi-planes. As such I am looking for the best products for the rigging in 1/48 scale. I have looked at Bob's Buckle's and he suggests fishing line. However I cannot find a fishing line that is thin enough to simulate rigging.

Also, what do people use on their WW2 aircraft that have antenna's (from cockpit to tail). I don't like using stretched spru, and again, I have found that fishing line loses it's tension very quickly.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Danny

ps. I am in Australia

Edited by dano_68

If you want really thin line that allows a bit of stretch then I suggest picking out the threads from and old pair of tights - make sure you ask the wife's permission first!

Good grief! Surely we can all cut a bit of tube to length by rolling a knife over it? I thought I was going to see turnbuckles, not cut-to-length tubing!

Did you notice that what appears to be a very small home made website is actually owned by Albion Alloys? Suppliers of said tubes.

And it tells you nothing about how the Strutter works. It appears to be another pair of vice jaws to put in your own vice. Anyone used one?

Martin

If you want to go down the fishing line route (possibly the cheapest option).

1.5lb Maxima Chameleon is 0.1mm dia... Works out to a "Gnats" under 5mm in real life.

Freely available in any fishing tackle shops.

Whilst EZ-Line is ok for Rigging, it's definitely too thick for antenna wire. And I've found it goes brittle after a while. I really would recommend giving the the tights thing a go.

I've never got on with stretched sprue and fishing line isn't stretchy.

This is a 1/48 Hurricane - that thread is incredibly thin:

8584785449_261aca8a4b_o.jpg
Antenna Wire by Jazzy Jase, on Flickr
  • Like 1

Good grief! Surely we can all cut a bit of tube to length by rolling a knife over it? I thought I was going to see turnbuckles, not cut-to-length tubing!

Did you notice that what appears to be a very small home made website is actually owned by Albion Alloys? Suppliers of said tubes.

And it tells you nothing about how the Strutter works. It appears to be another pair of vice jaws to put in your own vice. Anyone used one?

Martin

Yes we can, but imagine the number of times you need to carry out this task in order to rig even an average biplane, the effort in making sure they're all equel length, plus the number of blades you'd go through & the number of parts that go pinging off & disappear & you start to see how buying them pre-cut pays off!

Thanks for the review address, but it is basically a pair of vice jaws. I bought my smooth jawed swivelling vice for £7. The Strutter is £28!!

Does exactly the same as the vice, which you need anyway. And the Cutter is the same as my dial callipers. Only it won't do everything else my callipers do.

Sometimes I think you can have too many gadgets.

Martin

Graham, you can make a small cutting jig from two bits of hard wood or even 60 thou styrene glued together to ensure similar length. Cutting tube is a case of putting a piece of wire inside, rolling the knife over for a couple of inches of travel, then snapping, the wire preventing bending of the tube and loss at the same time. And surely, compared with rigging a complex airframe, cutting a few bits of tube is nothing.

Maybe I was influenced by the Make-do-and-Mend mentality of my parents....(in fact I know I was!)

Martin