WAH-64D Apache

atc1225

Hi guys,

Having watched the Prince Harry documentary on BBC Knowledge with interest, I would love to build an Army WAH-64D. I noticed that Heritage Aviation and IsraCast made conversion sets for the Hasegawa kit and that the latter included a small decal sheet. Any idea which of the two sets is better?

It seems though that the IsraCast set is OOP and that my only option would be the Heritage set anyway. Unfortunately there are no decals included. Is anyone maybe building the Revell/Monogram kit and not using the British option and willing to part with the decals? Would appreciate any assistance guys, and :thanks:

Pierre

• 2 months later...

I've only just stumbled across this post, so I hope a reply isn't too late...

I haven't seen the IsraCast set up close, but I have with the Heritage set, and I was impressed with it. I'm planning an Apache AH.1 build myself, and I intend to mix and match from a few different kits. However, I will definitely be getting the Heritage kit for the HIDAS lumps & bumps and the CRV7 pods, at least. AFAIK, it gives a slightly more comprehensive rendition of an AAC Apache than the IsraCast set (if you want to nitpick.)

IIRC, the IsraCast kit includes the newer M-TADS Arrowhead housing, but doesn't include the third MPD for the CPG pit - that's my main gripe with that kit. However, the decal sheet is a big plus for me. So, depending on how up-to-date/authentic you want to do it, it's probably easier to go with the Heritage kit.

I have the Hasegawa kit as my base model, but I also have a couple of the Revell WAH-64 kits in my stash with the intention to salvage some extra Missile Plume sensors to move to the stub wings on my AH.1; if I do go ahead with that, I might have a spare set of the Brit decals I could send your way if you decide against the IsraCast set.

*edit; I'm not sure if the IsraCast set is oop now, but I definitely saw a couple of places with some in stock recently. If I can find them again, I'll let you know.

Edited by daryl_five_zero

I've got an Hasegawa Apaches AH1 on the bench at home with the Heritage set, I'll try and post a pic later.

Shaun.

That'd be cool, Shaun. Any AH.1 builds I can have a peek at before I start my own would be muchly appreciated.

I'm no expert but I think the shape of the rear of the side sponsons is very different on the WAH-64D than on the AH-64D. There's a conversion set for it from Armycast.

David

Gents,

Very nice build above. I'm sure most of you guys are aware of it but my close up series of pics showing the Apache AH1 is linked below for help if required. Can't have enough Apache builds...

http://gary1701.piwigo.com/index?/category/6-apache_ah1_detail_images

Gary

Edited by gary1701
  • Like 1

Gents,

Very nice build above. I'm sure most of you guys are aware of it but my close up series of pics showing the Apache AH1 is linked below for help if required. Can't have enough Apache builds...

http://gary1701.piwigo.com/index?/category/6-apache_ah1_detail_images

Gary

Gary, believe me, I've scoured pretty much all of your pictures time and time again, and they're without a doubt going to be one of the most useful resources when I get around to building my AAC Apache, so a debt of gratitude is owed! I don't think I'd know half as much as I do about the Apache if I hadn't been following some of your threads...

One question though - I plan on building on building an M-TADS equipped Apache, with the 5-point HIDAS; As far as I am aware, ZJ224 fits this spec, but do you have any ideas on where to source a set of tail codes for that cab in 1/48? The Revell kit contains markings for ZJ228, and the IsraCast set has ZJ222 & 211, but I'm pretty set on ZJ224 (for reasons you could probably guess...)

Daryl.

Hi Daryl,

I've seen recent pics of '224 configured with the 5 point HIDAS. Speaking to somebody at Wattisham a few weeks ago it is now standard that all aircraft that go intheatre are fitted in this way, but there are still aircraft with the older fit.

I can't help much I'm afraid with the decals, as I don't build myself. Besides the ones you've mentioned, Model Alliance with their Afghan update sheet are the only other aftermarket Decal sheet for AH's I know of, and that's ZJ232. I only know that one because they nicked some pictures of mine for the sheet.

'224 wouldn't be anything to do with a certain Mr 'Macy' by any chance..!

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Hi Daryl,

I've seen recent pics of '224 configured with the 5 point HIDAS. Speaking to somebody at Wattisham a few weeks ago it is now standard that all aircraft that go intheatre are fitted in this way, but there are still aircraft with the older configuratin.

I can't help much I'm afraid with the decals, as I don't build myself. Besides the ones you've mentioned, Model Alliance with their Afghan update sheet are the only other aftermarket Decal sheet for AH's I know of, and that's ZJ232. I only know that one because they nicked some pictures of mine for the sheet.

'224 wouldn't be anything to do with a certain Mr 'Macy' by any chance..!

Gary

Thanks for the reply, Gary. Yeah, the little '4's are becoming quite troublesome. I think worst case, I'll have to have a go at making my own tail codes (god forbid) - I've been looking to see if I have any remotely salvageable 4's on spare decals sheets, but so far that's been pretty fruitless. On the off chance that I have no luck with that, are you aware of any lists/references outlining which cabs are outfitted with M-TADS/5-point HIDAS? I saw '171 flying in that config yesterday, but i can imagine that'd be an even harder serial to source!

As for the thing with Mr. Macy, you might have hit the nail on the 'Ed there, mate ;)

Out of curiosity though, do you know how soon AAC Apaches dispense of the lower fuselage codes (letters?) after deployment? I wasn't aware of that practise until you brought it up in a previous thread, and I find it quite interesting. I remember you mentioning hearing about the Dutch following the same practice, but not seeing any evidence of it. I recently stumbled across this pic sJFVrqg.jpg

of a Dutch Apache... seems it's definitely true.

Daryl.

Hi Daryl,

I must admit I'd forgotten all about the letters under the fuselage. I can't remember seeing any recently, but I may not have been looking underneath them. I've had two go over the house in the last couple of days, and nothing underneath. As for the codes, 'Macy's' '224 returned to Wattisham on 18th September 2008, with code 'K'. I photographed it a year later on the fence still coded. That's the only one I can fix for dates and that's only because I happened to be in the base the day it came back. I wasn't aware it was one of the Jugroom Fort mission Apaches at the time though. I would guess they stay on a while because they never seem to be repainted, even after going in REME.

All Apaches should now be MTADS fitted, as the programme should have been completed some time ago. I haven't seen any AH's with the old fit for some years. I've had a look through some pics from the last couple of years and the following have all been seen with MTADS/ five point HIDAS operating out of Wattisham;

ZJ222, ZJ218, ZJ188, ZJ220, ZJ200, ZJ232, ZJ181, ZJ171 and ZJ172

Older HIDAS fit but still MTADS;

ZJ211, ZJ197 and ZJ184

The fit can change though.

Gary

Hi there,

Just starting to put everything together to get on with a couple of Hasegawa AH-64D/WAH-64D builds myself ......I'm planning a AH-64D Longbow as a retirement presentation to my boss who used to fly both AH-64As and D's with the US Army. I'm building a AAC WAH-64D alongside this project and just managed to procure a second, cheap, JSDF AH-64D Longbow for the project. When researching which WAH-64D upgrade set to purchase, I noticed that Heritage Models state that their set can be used with any Hasegawa AH-64D kit with the EXCEPTION of the JSDF variant...and yet the JSDF variant has exactly the same plastic (barring one EXTRA sprue) as the WAH-64D 'Royal Army' kit.....so can anyone tell me why Heritage would make this caveat ?......doesn't make sense to me at the mo'

Thanks for your help...

Mark

Hi there,

Just starting to put everything together to get on with a couple of Hasegawa AH-64D/WAH-64D builds myself ......I'm planning a AH-64D Longbow as a retirement presentation to my boss who used to fly both AH-64As and D's with the US Army. I'm building a AAC WAH-64D alongside this project and just managed to procure a second, cheap, JSDF AH-64D Longbow for the project. When researching which WAH-64D upgrade set to purchase, I noticed that Heritage Models state that their set can be used with any Hasegawa AH-64D kit with the EXCEPTION of the JSDF variant...and yet the JSDF variant has exactly the same plastic (barring one EXTRA sprue) as the WAH-64D 'Royal Army' kit.....so can anyone tell me why Heritage would make this caveat ?......doesn't make sense to me at the mo'

Thanks for your help...

Mark

I'm not too sure why they say this... all I can think is because the Heritage kit is designed to represent an Apache circa 2006, with the original TADS & 4 point HIDAS. The JSDGF kit (pt42 at least) includes the newer M-TADS and third MPD for the cockpit.

Saying all that, I'm planning an AAC Apache and the JSDGF kit is serving as the basis for mine. Like you said, there's only one extra sprue in theJapaneseversion (sprue 'T'?)afaik, that can be neglected, depending on what configuration you want to do your Apache AH.1 in.

Do you know which JSDGF Apache you have? There's 2 boxings of it, and it's only the newer one with the extra sprue iirc.

Quick edit: Just be careful with the WAH-64D 'Royal Army' kit that Hase released - the defensive suite included in it is correct to the original delivery Apaches the AAC received (i.e. the same as the US AH-64d's from the same period) but it is totally out-of-spec for modern AAC Apaches after we got our mitts on them.

I'm not too sure why they say this... all I can think is because the Heritage kit is designed to represent an Apache circa 2006, with the original TADS & 4 point HIDAS. The JSDGF kit (pt42 at least) includes the newer M-TADS and third MPD for the cockpit.

Saying all that, I'm planning an AAC Apache and the JSDGF kit is serving as the basis for mine. Like you said, there's only one extra sprue in theJapaneseversion (sprue 'T'?)afaik, that can be neglected, depending on what configuration you want to do your Apache AH.1 in.

Do you know which JSDGF Apache you have? There's 2 boxings of it, and it's only the newer one with the extra sprue iirc.

Quick edit: Just be careful with the WAH-64D 'Royal Army' kit that Hase released - the defensive suite included in it is correct to the original delivery Apaches the AAC received (i.e. the same as the US AH-64d's from the same period) but it is totally out-of-spec for modern AAC Apaches after we got our mitts on them.

Hi there,

Yes...you're right.......Its the 'T' sprue that, by all accounts, contains the slightly different JSDF cockpit parts and some aerials, none of which you need anyway. For some strange reason they only included the 'T' sprue in the standard JSDF issue and the one I am getting (the second 'special limited edition' issue) only has the 'S' parts.....I've checked the sprue map for this kit against that for the WAH-64D 'Royal Army' issue and its exactly the same so I was not really sure why Heritage are trying to dissuade people from buying the JSDF AH-64D kits when they are effectively the same kit !.

Anyway, I'm sure I can solve the puzzle with all the excellent feedback and photos available here on BM. Thanks for your interest.

Mark

• 7 months later...

Any idea where you can get sprue T from or could someone lend me their's so I could copy the nose sensor for my current longbow build?

It's in the current Dutch display release.

Who is the current Hasegawa UK importer/agent?

Shaun.

Any idea where you can get sprue T from or could someone lend me their's so I could copy the nose sensor for my current longbow build?

It's in the current Dutch display release.

Who is the current Hasegawa UK importer/agent?

Shaun.

The importer for Hasegawa is Amerang. You could try getting in touch with them; I've heard they're pretty good with replacements, although when I shot them a message regarding exactly the same thing as you (acquiring the 'T' sprue only) I didn't even get a reply.

You can get the M-TADS housing alone from the IsraCast Apache AH.1 conversion, although it doesn't include the 3rd MPD to replace the ORT in the CPG's pit.

I got sprue 'T' from the Hasegawa JGSDF AH-64D boxing (PT42) although I did have to order it from Japan. Saying that, there is one going for cheap on a certain online bidding site (just search 'Hasegawa PT42') Just be careful which kit you go for - there's 2 boxings of theJapaneseAH-64D, the up-to-date one (PT42) and an older boxing that doesn't contain Sprue 'T.'

Are you just looking for the sprue 'T' parts to make cast of? As long as I get them back at some point, I haven't started work on mine yet and could send you the parts.

Daryl.

Nose sensor now sorted thanks to Daryl.

If anyone else needs a M-TADS for the nose of their builds, drop me a PM.

Has anyone got a close up of the under fuselage 5 point HIDAS sensor, it appears to be off the the centerline?

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Nose sensor now sorted thanks to Daryl.

If anyone else needs a M-TADS for the nose of their builds, drop me a PM.

Has anyone got a close up of the under fuselage 5 point HIDAS sensor, it appears to be off the the centerline?

Shaun.

Glad it got to you ok, Shaun.

You're right about it being off-centre. Here's a pic showing how far over the centreline to starboard it's placed.

DhMzBf6.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your finished cab!

Daryl.

• Like 2

Here's a pic of the progress on my Longbow, almost ready for primer just a few small things to sort out (removing the redundant fuselage sensors is one of these small jobs from the 4 point HIDAS arrangement) before painting.

AHtopside_zpsa0f82d0c.jpg

AHside_zpsf5498a16.jpg

ahunderside_zps2069b677.jpg

Rearfuslage_zps6d33158e.jpg

Shaun

Edited by Shaun
  • Like 2

This is looking great ! These things grow lumps and bumps all over, don't they??!

Yes, there's few things to add to make a british Longbow.

Does anyone have any side on pics that show the shape of the long range external fuel tank?

Shaun.