1/48 F-104 Starfighter

Hi,

The first picture is what I want it to look like, hopefully! :) I don't know if it will be entirely accurate, I'm using an F-104C. I'm going to try an Aires cockpit - a first for me. I test fitted it and as you can see there is quite a gap, so I'm going to thin the cockpit walls and trim down the cockpit tub and it should be okay.... Also there was a bit sticking out of the top of the instrument panel (near the HUD) that snapped off, so I replaced it.

F-104star_zpsffc594fe.jpgs1_zpsbfa0543a.jpgs2_zpsf6c70713.jpgs3_zps88492887.jpgs4_zpscc4dfb77.jpgs5_zpsafe109b1.jpgs6_zpsaa502a0c.jpg

• Like 1

Another one to follow; looking forward to seeing how it goes. What will you use for NMF?

Edited by mekon

I'm going to use Alclad chrome for the fuselage... and many others for different panels. The cockpit tub fits now. I still need to add instrumentation and seatbelts. I'm going to use transparent colour for the HUD lens and radar lens. I was going to do the HUD lens orange and the Radar lens green - does anyone know if this is correct?

c1_zps53ce65d6.jpgc2_zpsfcf05a09.jpgc3_zps0ca8e142.jpgc4_zps15c5f572.jpg

• Like 1

currently trying to get my act together on one of these and need all the tips i can get cos it aint happening. any advice you can give greatly appreciated.

did you have to do anymore than remove the ribs to get the tub to fit? ive already binned one fuse and dont wan tto ruin another.

Hi, If you look at the second picture of the fuselage above where I removed the ribs, you can just see a faint line halfway through where the edge of the cockpit will rest. I had to cut the bottom half away. Also on the cockpit tub itself I had to file the bottom wafer thin and file the whole front down to follow the shape of the nose. Also on the bottom of the tub at the back I had to cut two notches to accomodate two pegs that alighn the cockpit tub to the bottom of the fuselarge. Hope that helps.

Thanks - I'll be finishing off the cockpit and starting the wheel bays this weekend. I may not replace the front bay though because the

tolerances are very small for cutting the old bay out (I'll post a pic to show what I mean). Then I'm going to do various tests wuth the Alclad. I really want to weather the finish and try various metals... I'll post those results too! :)

Did a bit more work this weekend. There is still a gap the the front. I had to cut the top of the fuselage to fit the instrumant panel so it needs filing, don't want to take too much off, just so it fits snugly and closes the gap. I've done the seatbelts and painted the joystick anf throttle (not yet fitted). Soon as the cockpit tub fits I'll start on the wheel bays. I'm going to practice painting exhaust colours (on the kit parts) before fitting the resin exhaust. My first time with Alclad! :)

f1_zps8d99c8ed.jpg

f2_zps3d6cde64.jpg

f3_zpsa530e2fe.jpg

• Like 1

My favourite airplane. I will definitely follow you. Do you know how to paint the lower side of the wings?

Siggy

Hi there,

I was watching this with interest as the 104 is not only my favourite plane but I like the early ones in particular. You did a great job on the cockpit and I thought you got all the surgery figured out to fit it in, but I think one reason why the fuselage won't close is that you left the cockpit sills untouched.

You need to cut out a rectangular shape into the kit sills to make room for the resin ones so they sit flush:

s4_zps0d87c0ab.jpg

That way the tub will sit higher up and in its intended position. Also, the coaming/IP block takes a lot of internal trimming/fettling with and the rudder pedal PE a little shortening at the attachment "legs" to get that assembly to fit properly...

Here is my attempt after I got it in, the black lines indicating the outline of the Aires sills (the canopy seals are added from stretched sprue):

IMG_0036b.jpg

Are you using the Aires wheel bays or the kit ones? I think it's almost easier to detail up the kit ones than to try fitting the (too short) Aires ones...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on this!

Cheers

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey - I did cut the front part out where the instrument panel is (thanks for the pic BTW) but I didn't cut all the way up to the cockpit edge like you did (just half way through - difficult to explain - I'll do a pic tonight) However, I think you're right, i'll have to cut to the top... in line with your's to make it fit. I'm using the Aires cockpit and wheel bays. The main bay seems fine (i test fitted) I was just concerned about the front one - I still may just detail that one up. Got two weeks off soon - so should be able to get loads done.... Thanks for your help.

Hi PC2012, I was wondering because I have planned to do a starfighter in the same colour scheme. In pictures you can always see the aluminium fuselage and the top of the wings in white. But of what colour are the lower sides of the wings?

Best regards

Siggy

Hi PC2012, I was wondering because I have planned to do a starfighter in the same colour scheme. In pictures you can always see the aluminium fuselage and the top of the wings in white. But of what colour are the lower sides of the wings?

Best regards

Siggy

Those would be a light gull grey.

HI Jeffrey,

I usually use decanted rattle cans. Tamiya Gloss TS spray paints (which I have used before and really liked) do not seem to do the 16440 gloss paint. Can you recommend a good make to use?

I don't usually use rattle cans so I can't comment on those, but for my ADC Grey / FS16473 I use Xtracolor enamels. Even better, although slightly more expensive, are WEM colourcoats. I haven't used that particular colour in their line, but should I restock ADC Grey I'll probably go for WEM next time.

Both WEM and Xtracolor are best thinned with lacquer thinners to speed up drying time.