A late entry! 1/12 Yamaha YZR500 (OW70)

Mark

Sorry to the Hosts, I forgot that I'd signed up for this!!

With the start of the Le Mans GB tomorrow, of which I'm proud to be co-hosting with Madmonk, I thought that I'd get started on finishing at least one entry for this GB. I started the kit last weekend and there are photos, which I'll start posting later this evening, but here is the kit that I'm making:

038ow70.jpg

There s a bit of sentimental attachment to this kit as it was, on my return to the hobby twenty odd years ago, my first attempt at a motorbike kit and I was blown away by the level of detail. There's even a real spring for the suspension!!

Fast forward to 2013 and I got the kit off of eBay and have acquired aftermarket decals and some detailing parts from Top Studio, along with Zero Paints from Steve at Hiroboy

I'm really looking forward to finishing this as, for me, it really is a case of seeing how techniques and my own skills (or lack of!) have developed over the twenty years since I last made this kit.

That looks like a cracker Mark., welcome to the group of mad modellers. I'm sure you are going to stun us all with your modelling techniques.

Colin

Cheers Colin, as for 'stun'? Well, I'm doing the best I can with this kit and it really is a pleasure to build, as all of the Tamiya 1/12th bikes are.

So, where to start? Oh yeah, the mandatory box and sprue shots! The above image was just grabbed from the Internet, but here's mine, along with the sprues. I can't remember the previous attempt at this kit having had a clear cowling though...

DSC_2069_zps5feaca53.jpg

DSC_2071_zps18689524.jpg

DSC_2072_zps1d6d6593.jpg

DSC_2073_zpsd3b4679c.jpg

DSC_2074_zpse98d163d.jpg

I don't know who produced the aftermarket decals, but they are much better colours than the kit's decals and include the important sponsors logos.

DSC_2070_zpsfdb2ba10.jpg

The Top Studio Hose Clamps Set is really worth getting as it not only includes the clamps, but also a load of rivet and bolt heads that detail the engine up nicely.

DSC_2078_zps0ff1e394.jpg

So, assembly started last weekend with the frame and engine components. All parts were primed using Alclad's white surface primer. The engine block was painted Alclad II Burnt Iron and various other metallic shades were used for the cylinder heads, clutch etc. The cylinder head bolts look as if they are anodised and although the instructions call for these to be painted red, I chose to paint these with Alclad II clear red, which matches the photos I have quite well.

DSC_2076_zpsbd269a83.jpg

DSC_2077_zpsd1895433.jpg

DSC_2079_zpsff0c289f.jpg

DSC_2081_zpsaad8e34e.jpg

More updates later!

A bit more progress over the last two evenings. This kit is falling together nicely, as expected of these 1/12th Tamiya kits, but there are some areas that I've sought to correct, most specifically the use of the thick rubber hosing for everything from brake lines to ignition cables, so these were replaced by much more 'in-scale' cable from Model Factory Hiro. I think the Tops Studio brackets certainly add life to the water plumbing and this time around I had the advantage of using Alclad II metallics which give a much nicer finish than the paints I used 20 years ago!

Here are a few photos to show how far I've got:

DSC_2088_zps7c7c43f5.jpg

DSC_2089_zps3044e86c.jpg

DSC_2099_zps639a2c65.jpg

The exhausts are just placed on at the moment to check the fit. Any ideas on colour? The instructions call for gun metal but photos show them to be more brown??

Phew! A marathon session at the workbench yesterday resulted in me getting a long way on with this build as well as starting a Porsche 917K for the Le Mans Group Build.

Thanks to Pte1643 I managed to look through some great images on the 'net for the very prominent exhausts and found that the colour that Tamiya state (Gun Metal) is far too dark. So I tried to match the colours from the screen as best as I could and used Alclad II Gun Metal, Dark Aluminium and Burnt Iron in an approximate ration of 45:45:10 respectively. This was sprayed over the exhausts after they had been primed with Alclad's own black primer. Once dried then the 'artistic licence' began with Pale Burnt Metal being lightly sprayed over the bends. This was followed by Hot Metal Sepia and Hot Metal Blue and I was quite happy with the result, but I'll let you judge from the photos.

The clear cowling was a pig to get together so I 'borrowed' a standard cowling from another YZR500 kit in the stash with the ultimate intention to build the other as a naked bike alongside the race ready fully-cowled one. After all, it's such a shame with these kits to cover all the hard work up!

One question though, are the rear exhaust cans painted black (as the instructions would have them) or are they made from a composite material?

The front forks and brake discs need to be completed properly (the incredible tedious job of drilling out 60 holes per disc was done with the aid of a small hand held drill chuck, a micro drills bit and red wine...!!) and then the instrument panel attached along with a couple of 'black boxes' that sit behind the nose cowling. Once done that will basically complete the basic bike with just the bodywork to add and once the decals have been applied I'll be calling this one done; not long to go!

DSC_2166_zpsca72887b.jpg

DSC_2168_zps57540fd0.jpg

DSC_2170_zps1787f08f.jpg

DSC_2171_zpsbaed872a.jpg

DSC_2172_zps9c0cdf2e.jpg

DSC_2173_zps53c810e9.jpg

Top work Mark.

The "Spannies" look great.

Re: cans... Matt (or Semi) Black would be fine, they were most likely Anodised Ali back then. Carbon was around, but not widely used on exhausts back in the day.

Edited by pte1643

OK, before I display the next set of photos there follows a public health warning:

Viewing bright colours may be harmful to your eyesight; sunglasses are strongly recommended.

Now the photos:

DSC_2175_zpscfea5fd0.jpg

DSC_2177_zpsb11a9e92.jpg

All bodywork has now been painted, using the fantastic Zero Paints from Hiroboy. Great paints that airbrush straight from the jar, accurately colour matched and superb coverage. If only they did a military range too!

The next step is to varnish over the paint once it has fully hardened, for this I will probably use Alclad's varnish as it is not as shiny as Zero Paints two-pack, then it's decal time!

DSC_2174_zps51ed6bcd.jpg

I'm a bit worried as to what the images did to my camera CCD! They are not photoshopped, if they were I'd have got rid of the overspray on the rear, right hand side flank! Just noticed that, as well as the fact that the lower rear triangle, on the bottom of the body fairing, should really continue the line from the upper, rear fairing. Oh well, more work to do tomorrow...

What I should have done was take my time... Anyway, the demarkation line between red/orange and white should be continuous from the rear panel to the lower, following the blue line:

DSC_2177_zps16e0e15f.jpg

Lookin' good there Mark. I like your idea of Alclad varnish as opposed to Zero. The bikes in those days didn't have the toffee apple glass coat of the modern bikes where the graphics are trapped under the clear coat. There was a distinct difference in the gloss of the bike and the sheen of the vinyl graphics. You could even cut around each decal to remove the clear carrier to be even more prototypically correct.

Yes it is bright/loud, isn't it!

Colin

Nice build! I painted my Rd350 in that colour scheme. I also used to ride around with the headlight on. I still had someone pull out on me and got the old "sorry mate i didnt see you!" Really?

Edited by gunpowder17
  • Like 1

Nice build! I painted my Rd350 in that colour scheme. I also used to ride around with the headlight on. I still had someone pull out on me and got the old "sorry mate i didnt see you!" Really?

Exactly same here on my first tiddler RD125LC which I painted Marlboro' colours - that was in '87 and she's been in bits ever since. Same SMIDSY!

Superb build so far Mark - iconic machine - and those colours nailed! :thumbsup:

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Exactly same here on my first tiddler RD125LC which I painted Marlboro' colours - that was in '87 and she's been in bits ever since. Same SMDSY!

Superb build so far Mark - iconic machine - and those colours nailed! :thumbsup:

Iain

Iain, the very same as my first bike! A669 OKO white Yam RD 125LC (21bhp version) in 1986!! She flew....I have the scars on my knees to prove it! Was in awe of the 500LC though!! As was everyone then I think....

ATB........

• Like 1