MiG-21SMT Fishbed-K, 2x RV Aircraft 1/72

Hello,

currently I’m building a pair of MiG-21SMT that are new kit from RV Aircraft. This comapny will realese the new variants and we can expect in a short time e.g. bis, MF, MFN and PFM.

The first Fishbed-K will be in NMF, so I airbrushed the Alclad Aluminium 101 as a basis. The second one will be in 4 colour typical soviet camouflage. For this camouflage I choose following acryl colours:

Grey Blue: XF-25 (basis), H.337, XF-82, XF-23
Light Green: H.303 (basis), H.312, 1:1 mix XF-4/XF-5
Light Brown: XF-49 (basis), 1:1 mix XF-49/XF-55, XF-55
Dark Green: H.423 (basis), XF-81, H.303

Dark Brown: 2:1 mix XF-52/XF-64 (basis) , XF-52

"The harmony" of mentioned colors I have already tested on the left wing...

Fishbed-K41.jpgFishbed-K42.jpg

The NMF fishbed with Alclad 101 Aluminium basis:

Fishbed-K39.jpgFishbed-K40.jpg

Pavol

Edited by pavolSK

Hi Giorgio,

from my point of view the most problematic item in this kit is the front ring. There is appropriate to do small adjustment. To ensure the correct edge is necessary to shorten (50%) and sharpen its front side (see picture). But it takes the 10-15 minutes for one ring :)

I also recognized the second problematic point. The separate panels with oxygen bottles around main wheel gears don´t fix quite good with wings. It's necessary to cut off mentioned oxygen bottles from their back side (app. 50%).But it's not a big problem and finally this cutting is not visible after gluing.

Other completion of airframe seems to me like no trouble. I can state this is a quite nice kit from the assembly point of view.

I have published a brief review of this kit in my blog:

Fishbed-K01.jpg

A few images of the building these kits I will add immediately.

Pavol

Edited by pavolSK

A selection of several pictures from previous work.

I improved the original resin cockpit from the kit by adding color photo etched parts from Bilek set (made by Eduard):

Fishbed-K09.jpg

Original exhaust nozzle from the kit without any improvement. Only airbrush and paints:

Fishbed-K11.jpg

And fuselages before closing. All parts sit easily:

Fishbed-K13.jpg

And some another steps in previous progress:

Fishbed-K19.jpg

Fishbed-K22.jpg

Fishbed-K23.jpg

Fishbed-K27.jpg

Fishbed-K28.jpg

Fishbed-K38a.jpg

Pavol

Edited by pavolSK
  • Like 1

Thank you Giorgio! R.V.Aircraft will release next versions in April-May. Here are mentioned the MiG-21MF, MFN,R and PFM, all in 1/72, I'm awaiting also the MiG-21bis:

http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=592&t=62485&start=75

I've made a bit of progress in the last day. The camouflage is finished (freehand without masking) and the surfaces of both models are ready for further processing... :)

Fishbed-K43.jpgFishbed-K44.jpgFishbed-K45.jpgFishbed-K46.jpgFishbed-K47.jpgFishbed-K48.jpg

Pavol

I agree with Giorgio that's some tallent to do that camo freehand! Those RV kits look very nice, if it wasn't for the Eduard kits in 1/48 (which I might have half a chance freehand airbrushing) I'd have probably bought a few of these!

Thanks guys! :)

Attempt for NMF surface.

I did it in two rounds. Each round about 3 hours of masking and 15 minutes of airbrush. I used Alclad 2 Aluminium 101 (base), 103 Dark Aluminium, 119 Airframe Aluminium, 119 White Aluminium. Some fields and cover are smoked with Tamiya X-19.Yes, it looks a bit much and unnatural now. But after wash it will look different... (I hope :)

Fishbed-K49.jpgFishbed-K52.jpgFishbed-K51.jpg

Pavol

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The current status:

The stencils and marking are applied on the first Fishbed-K "blue 60". For the better adhesion of decals I used the Microscale decal setting solution Set & Sol. The used stencil set is aftermarket product from Eduard production.

Fishbed-K59.jpg

Fishbed-K60.jpg

Fishbed-K61.jpg

Pavol

Edited by pavolSK
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I tested the new color PE set from RV Aircraft (made by Eduard). This test is a part of preparation for my forthcoming project - duo of MiG-21MF from RV. The result is a compilation of original resin parts from the kit and PE parts from the new RV set. Nothing more, nothing less (just the throttle is made on the left side).

RV72009_02.jpg

RV72009_05.jpg

RV72009_06.jpg

RV72009_07.jpg

RV72009_08.jpg

Pavol

Edited by pavolSK
  • Like 1

Fantastic job Pavol! :analintruder: I can look them for hours! :popcorn: Great presentation also and kit review on your blog.It has very helpfull & detailed photos.These new rv kits are a must.

About your modelling skills no comments,i loved your work instantly.I think is hard to make a model in 1/72 with such details and painting!

May i ask if you applied a clear varnish before the wash or after to protect all that stencil from time (yellowing) on the metallic Mig?

And how you applied the wash?

You carefully applied on each line like pin wash or all around the model and then rub it off?

Why you dint use oil washes?

Wow, these two Soviet beauties look Faaaantastic!!!!

However, my question is, how did you manage to achieve such an excellent freehand camouflage? I have a Badger 150 and I don't think I can achieve a similar effect.

Could you give us a few more details about how you have managed to do so? For instance, which airbrush did you use (which nozzle), the psi of your air compressor, etc?

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!!!!

Cheers

Sernak

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks guys! :)

To Amen: I applied the clear varnish before applying decals and also before and after the wash :) It means that a total of 3 times...I most prefer the application of Gunze GX1000 varnish for this kind of NMF surface (in dilutions up to 1:4). I painted by brush the MiG Prod. wash along the lines and details. And then rub it off. So something betwwen what you wrote. Not a pin wash and not a full watering a surface.

To Sernak: I have Harder&Steenbeck Infinity and Evolution airbrushes with interchangeable 0,15 & 0,2 & 0,4mm nozzles. Usually I'm spraying a camouflage fields with 0,2mm nozzle and afterward fine-tune the colour interfaces with 0,15 mm nozzle. The psi is 30 (or 2 bars) maximally. But I think the foundation is to use acrylic paints (Tamiya or Gunze H) and a decent dilution of at least 1:4 (or more) and then spraying several layers of paint. For the surface fading I'm using dilution up to 1:8 or 1:10.

The Fishbeds are already standing on their own landing gears :)

Fishbed-K76.jpg

Fishbed-K77.jpg

Fishbed-K78.jpg

Fishbed-K79.jpg

Fishbed-K80.jpg

Fishbed-K81.jpg

Fishbed-K82.jpg

Fishbed-K83.jpg

Edited by pavolSK
  • Like 3

The armament is already prepared for the both MiGs. So gradually I collected the following items: the imitation of tactical A-bomb IAP-500 (RV Armament set), a pair of rockets S-24 with the APU-68 adaptors ( (RV Armament set), a pair of PTB-100 bombs (HB kit Mi-24), a pair of SPRD-99 RATO bottles (Zvezda kit MiG-21bis) and the trio of fuel tanks (from the old KP kits).

Fishbed-K85.jpg

Step by step preparation of cockpit canopies.

Fishbed-K84.jpg

Pavol

• Like 2