Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk II

davidelvy

true very true.

cheersy

http://www.aeroimageworks.com/spitfiresintheantipodesblog.htm

Prof-meisterrrrrrr

• 7 months later...

I`m the last one to trash a kit without seeing it in the flesh,..BUT,.....does anybody think that the windscreen looks strange, especially the armoured glass section?

I thought that the ailerons looked fabric covered too at first glance but the photos I`ve seen have not been clear enough to make them out properly?

I really hope that Revell don`t cock this one up like they did with the Halifax?

Cheers

Tony

The ailerons are depicted in the kit shown in those pics as metal covered with recessed rivets. Whoever painted it believes too strongly in all this pre-shading / post-shading malarkey, that's all. He's accentuated all the rivet lines and so that's made it look like a representation fabric covered aileron.

I'll decide about the windscreen when I see some bigger pics of that area.

It would probably be best to wait until the real item is available, since any photo of the windscreen could easily be taken with a wide-angle lens, so distorted.

However, there are a few issues, starting with the crowbar, which was not, as far as can be ascertained, fitted before 1942.

The bigger oil cooler was not fitted until September 1941.

There's provision for dropping the flaps, but no separate doors, covering the (visible when operated) "elbows" of the mechanism.

"Wheels up when indicators flush" decals are supplied, but no sign of the indicators themselves.

The Very pistol cartridge rack is doubtful on a seat supplied to Castle Bromwich.

The ailerons were fabric-covered until July 1941.

2-bar rudder pedals were not fitted before 24-4-41, starting with the 725th Mk.II, but could be done retrospectively.

There was no scoop on the upper cowling panel just above the rearmost starboard exhaust, it was a simple blister, and the blister on the port side should be smaller; the Heywood compressor, necessitating the scoop, was not fitted until March 1942 (on the Mk.V.)

"Walkway inboard" should be fitted the other way round, so it's readable from the wingtip.

The A/B "mirror" camouflage scheme was not abandoned until 26-4-41, so should still have pertained to the first Mk.IIs.

That's all I can spot, so far.

Edgar

• Like 1

Hi Edgar,

Thanks for your run down on the Mk II, I have not seen any pictures of Mk II Spitfire aircraft cockpits that show the Very pistol cartridge rack fitted to the seat. I have seen some pictures that show Mk I aircraft (with the hand pump undercarriage retraction) fitted with the seat mounted cartridge rack.

Spitfire Mk II, P7508

large.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs

IWM ATP 10397F

Spitfire Mk I

At least I presume it is a Mk I, despite the Imperial War Museum caption.

large.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs

IWM CH 1205

Cheers,

Daniel.

Other photos of this model show rivets on the fuselage, but all recessed. Understandable in view of the likely comments for any raised rivets, but the real plane begs to differ with the model.

As has been pointed out, the camera can deceive, but the nose looks a bit funny in shape too. Too deep, or bulged on the lower panel (?), but being a bit picky, I know.

I'll still have a couple, and probably a few more down the track! :)

Bring it on!

PR

(Patience is a virtue! Is it April yet?)

I think - it's look as Spitfire MK. I/II. And price was - very probably - nice ! 25Euro i think. Yes, Tamiya's "nine" is best and more detailed, but is expensive. When revell don't make any fatal error it is a hot candidate for few pieces... And last kits (Bf 109G) are relative good, with few errors but i can live with it. (For it's price..)

I'm minded to agree with Tony about the windscreen-but it seems to be an area that other manufacturers also fall down on. Are there any vacform options in 1:32nd?

I wonder if oil coolers and doors might be optional parts? I presume that the aftermarket brigade would be along with replacements (plus fabric ailerons) if not.

I might well get this as I've always wanted to do a "big" early Spit, and I'm a bit fed up of waiting for Tamiya to make one to the same standard as the Mk. IX...

I'm minded to agree with Tony about the windscreen-but it seems to be an area that other manufacturers also fall down on. Are there any vacform options in 1:32nd?

Sadly no, or none that I can find, hopefully someone will get around to this.

Cheers

Dennis

Hannants had one listed (a 1/32 vacform canopy, that is) from Squadron for the Hasegawa Mk I/V as a 'Future Release', but this has since apparently been dropped.

Maybe they (Squadron) will resurrect it, or have they jumped out of Vacform canopies now?

PR