Tristar 1/35 Panzer 1a Flakpanzer

robw_uk

All,

I have joined an Anti-Aircraft "campaign" on another forum (same as our Group Build). My subject, the Panzer I Flak panzer. i am going with the Tristar version with the ammo trailer (plus AM barrel). No photos just yet but, so that you get an idea on the subject here is the official Tristar website:

http://www.tristar-model.com/products35019.html#

due to start march 1st and will build while I finish the Sd.Kfz 10 I am building for the GB on here.

photos tomorrow - have been donated Dragon Pz 1a parts to see if they are better than the Tristar ones - think the interior in my kit is better but some of the exterior detail is a bit soft.... also need to do some work on the exhausts - in the kit they are solid - thinking to replace with metal foil shaped.....

ok - now I am happy to leave the Sd.Kfz10 where it is in terms of finishing I can move on to the next build: I took the following to show what I will be building (plus sprue shots of the kit, the AM gun barrel). I have some Dragon Pz1a sprues and magic tracks to add as/where the kit detail needs improving

IMG_3323_zpsf812f6e7.jpg
IMG_3325_zps82c28f0a.jpg
IMG_3329copy_zps76b1ee47.jpg

started with my Pz1a - just a couple of steps through on the gun. Replaced the kit barrel with the RB after market one - very nice. and started on the gun housing...

IMG_3334_zps7e6e6eb6.jpg

my latest update - gun done. Must say Tristar have done a good job. I had a few confusing moments interpreting the instructions but that was me not them. Gone for the travel position as the gun has to be built either up or down...

IMG_3336_zpsc96c9131.jpg

IMG_3338_zps15650c79.jpg

IMG_3337_zps5a1408dd.jpg

Edited by robw_uk

Hi Rob.

Nice start on this kit.

Watching with interest. :popcorn:

thanks foxy... continued last night on to the trailer - nice detail on that too - hope to have it complete tonight (will leave wheels off of course and maybe the box for ease of painting). Need some paints before tackling the interior - plus away this weekend and for 2 nights next week which means little progress - will start on the interior/main build in a week or so's time

• 3 weeks later...
a little progress from me - trailer complete (wheels just fitted until tidied up & all painted) and interior started. Gone for grey floor panel & transmission and white sides & bulkheads....

hope for more later in the week - going to add the drivers pedals and batteries (?) on the other side of the transmission along with the step(?) at the back an dthe other side then gloss & weather.....

IMG_3427_zps86e1542d.jpg

IMG_3429_zps23a71c98.jpg

thanks foxy - done some initial weathering (used True Earth "general aging" to do the pin wash - think it came out ok so will do some chipping tonight....

which leads me to the next thing ;-)

***advice needed*** as I am progressing on my Pz1a flakpanzer I am now approaching the wheels... this has 2 wheels either side in bogies - in terms of building should I build that assembly and paint or paint all the parts then build? i have not even started to look at the indi-link tracks, going to have to tack the wheels to the sides then build the tracks I guess (same as the Sd.KFZ 10 link & length).....
thanks all

thats what I was thinking MAtt - happy to glue wheels on after paint (or bogey on after paint) but wheels to bogey... least I can fill any gaps

• 2 weeks later...
little more progress... interior painted up - thinking the weathering is a little hard but you wont see much... sort of getting there with it but a lot to improve on. Also all the running gear primed & painted (using Vallejo Model Air German Grey)...

IMG_3430_zpsce0adb29.jpg

IMG_3431_zps94b12923.jpg

IMG_3432_zps1bcd0063.jpg

IMG_3433_zpscaa4d038.jpg

IMG_3434_zpsbde25e8d.jpg

IMG_3435_zps41317a26.jpg

just a quick update - wheels painted and bogey/wheel construction done... placed on for the photo

IMG_3438_zpsc9c258e7.jpg

also built the jack block and fire extinguisher (Dragon/Tristar kit bash - the Tristar extinguisher didnt have the cradle that the Dragon one did)

next stop

INDI LINK TRACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

found the following photo

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/LeungKwokOn/Marco-PA-Forum-Pictures/FlakPanzer/FlakPanzer-12.jpg

which shows a crew sitting on the front of a Pz1a flak... also shows 3 rows of spare track (can be done)....

any thoughts on figures I could use to depict these 5 crew? lookign around, any "at rest" seem to be later in the war or more "formallY" attired....

thanks

sorry for 3 quick posts... well I tried the dreaded indi-link tracks and, with Humbrol liguid poly they did not go together badly. used Dragon tracks rather than the tristar ones and they just dropped in to place.... 1 complete side took probably 90 minutes (not too many tracks links)...

all just placed on (running gear too - blu-tac) to go fully off - sag is perhaps a little unstated but for my first attempt...

IMG_3443_zpsf33f40be.jpg

IMG_3442_zpsdba3277f.jpg

IMG_3440_zpsc6e2561d.jpg

Edited by robw_uk

Once you adjust the sit of those tracks they should looks spot on.

Great build and a very useful reference thread for me as I've got one of these to do too.....But mine's resin and 1/72! :analintruder:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

thanks ...

"adjust the sit of those tracks"... I know some of the joins between runs is a bit mis-aligned and I guess I can play a little when they are painted up and ready to be fixed, but what else would you suggest

Basically just moving the sag to where you want it....At the return rollers and a little below the drive sprockets.

I really like the way indy-links give you the freedom to adjust it, but they're a bit much for 1/72 scale (My Trumpeter FAMO is staring at me over my shoulder as I type.....Glowering! :winkgrin: ).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2nd track done - looks similar to first so no photos... also built up 3 runs to go on the front armour (as per the photo linked a couple of messages above).. one thing I cant see there is how they were "attached" if at all to the hull... lookslike the wedged the bottom against one side, then middle on top then the top one on top of the otehr 2....

well hoping to get the sides primed (and maybe "greyed") tonight along with the tracks (starting with black, then oily steel + black, then rust)... then I can complete the wheels & tracks and mask off for the remaining build

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm some paint on - still struggling with tracks - think I am going with an odd colour (or too heavy with rust).. think I will repaint them jusy metallic and then weather slight rust in....

I almost always use matt black mixed with dark earth as the basis for my track colour, no metallics whatsoever. I use oil washes and drybrushing for depth and pigments for rust, metallic shine is provided with graphite, either dusted on or straight from the pencil.

thanks Sgt.S... actually having seen them now as a base to start weathering they are not too bad so wont paint... so tonight I intend to glue wheels on then tracks - going to "risk" weathering all once the full build is done - not sure I can get at the fiddly bits on the running gear but I can do what I can see... I have to at least have the wheels & tracks glued before doing the uppers other wise I wont get the upper tracks on under the fenders...

am I being mad trying this or should I weather all but pigments with wheels off then glue then do upper?