Jaguar GR1 Revell 1/72 - Desert Cat "Diplomatic Service"

Pat C

Finally got one finshed this year! There are few Jags on RFI at the moment so here is my effort which is the Revell boxing which I think is a shared mould with Italeri. Mine was moulded in yucky brown plastic of the slightly soft waxy variety that makes sanding more of a pain than usual.

jag8.jpg

The fuselage is split into front and rear sections and I opted to join the complete port and stb sides together first, rather than building the front and rear halves and joining them. This did leave with some seams top and bottom, but I thought that easier to deal with than jutting out edges at the sides which would have required removing most of the detail in a blur of furious sanding! As always I cock something up which in this case was gluing the airbrakes shut before spotting that they appear almost always to be open on the ground! But I did mange to prise them off and repair them at least.

jag5.jpg

There are plenty of posts on BM weighing up the pros and cons of this kit vs the Hasegawa one, and pointing out the things you can do to improve the accuracy. For my part I just did some minor things like putting the chaff/ flare dispensers in their proper place not so near the rear of the aircraft as Revell would have you place them, chopping back the fins of the US issue cluster bombs to make them slightly less weird looking, and cutting back the HUD to make it a bit more in scale.

jag1.jpg

Paint is all over Xtracrylic desert pink and although the weathering doesn't show up very well in these pics, lots of chalk pastel was slapped on with a bit of Flory models wash in some strategic places. Decals are from one of the old Modeldecal sheets.

jag11.jpg

jag10.jpg
jag7j.jpg
jag2y.jpg

Hope you like!

Pat

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 5

Thanks chaps

Like the dio base as well.

I found some sand coloured model railway ballast in Hobbycraft - might take some pics of my Bucc and Tornado using it as well.

Very nice Pat. I keep toying with getting one of these but just never seem to get round to doing so. What markings does the kit come with?

This one came with Debbie/ White Rose and a cammo bird. As the Debbie nose art is a bit scary looking it was an easy choice to use the Modeldecal sheet!

Pat

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 1

I like that a lot. I've got one in the stash and a couple of sets of decals I bought for various Desert cats, I might have to dig it out at the weekend!