Airfix Vampire T11

Martian

Before Telford I was modelling really well. I then picked up a very nasty bug at the show and have been feeling grotty ever since. Even though I have begun to feel better my modelling mojo seems to have disappeared, until now that is.

The release of this kit has had me more pumped up than any since the 1/48 Sea Vixen from Airfix as there are a few Fleet Air Arm schemes that I have wanted to have a bash at for years. So, without further ado, it was off the the LMS to pick up a couple of kits that I had on order and out modelling tools.

I plan to keep this one simple as the main object of the excersise here is to get something finished. I shall keep the other kit until I see what comes out in the way of brass etch and decal sheets, I can always get another two or three in if it turns out that I cannot wait for these.

So, here is what I managed to get done this morning. Not a lot but it is a start! I have cleaned up the main airframe parts and glued most of the cockpit parts together. I shall add a little detail to the ejector seats and modify the radio equipment on the shelf behind them to represent the T22s as used by the Fleet Air Arm. I hopre to get this done this evenng. I will add navigation lights and brake lines for the undercarriage and that will be about all for this kit.

Initial indications are that this kit is both accurate and fits together superbly well. At £7 I think it great value for money and Airfix deserve to sell an awful lot of these.

Hopefully this build will spur me on to getting on and finishing my Gotha and getting the next big build underway.

Thanks for looking

Martin

101_3275_zpse2fcc9e2.jpg]

101_3274_zpseacb4ab9.jpg

101_3273_zps2240ddc4.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good so far. I'll have to do a WIP of mine as well.

It's a lovely kit and got a lot of interest when I displayed it on our stand at Huddersfield on Sunday assembled in Primer. Watch out for the smaller parts as they are fragile. I've already broken and lost the pitot tube on the tail and the small ariel on the underside.

Thanks chaps. The pitot has already been removed as I shall be replacing it with one made from Albion Alloys tubing, there is no way the kit item will survive the build. The same will probably go for the under fuselage aerial too. I reckon Airfix would mae a killing if they scaled this one up to 1/48 scale.

Martin

Good stuff MH,nice to see you back in the saddle my friend.

Post up some pics of the T.22's differences you mention,PatC and I

Happy to do that as soon as I can find the appropriate documents. I recall scanning it sometime last year for a BM member and seem to have misfiled it! I will have to find it soon so I can crack on with the model.

Martin

Looking forward to this one, Martin! I have one on order, which should be here shortly. I know what you mean about taking a break and doing a quick "mojo-restorer." I'm using the Airfix Spitfire Mk I for that right now! If only I could find a Dark Earth paint that I like.....

Cheers,

Bill

Glad to see you back building Martin!

I love your builds and look forward to seeing the Gotha finished as well!

You've done the right thing using this kit as a Mojo "buster" as from what I saw at Huddersfield it really is a nice kit. I will be getting one I think! or two! Be nice if Airfix also did a re tooled Meteor as well to go with it!

Martin

I noticed your part built Vampire at Huddersfield, and pleased to see it. I am about the same stage as you were on Sunday and have already added a little detail to the cockpit in the way of Seatbelts and 'bang' handles....I can only agree it is a lovely little kit and dont know what all the initial fuss was about from some previous comments, had heard there might be a 1/48 future release as well as Trumpeter due to release a T11...not sure how true that is...anybody know?

Hasten to add not comments from this particular thread !!

Edited by Andytee

Martin

I noticed your part built Vampire at Huddersfield, and pleased to see it. I am about the same stage as you were on Sunday and have already added a little detail to the cockpit in the way of Seatbelts and 'bang' handles....I can only agree it is a lovely little kit and dont know what all the initial fuss was about from some previous comments, had heard there might be a 1/48 future release as well as Trumpeter due to release a T11...not sure how true that is...anybody know?

Not mine, I have only ever driven through Huddersfield.

Martin

Sorry Martin my mistake...was FZ6's....but still agree on the kit itself though

Martin

It was my Vampire that was at Huddersfield. Just about to put up a retrospective WIP thread.

Really enjoying building this kit.

Regards,

Mark

Yes sorry to you too Mark. I misread the thread...as I say it was good to see your build...hoping it might be true about the 1/48.....wishful thinking maybe?

Good choice Martin and good to see you back fella. I also picked one of these up at 'uddersfield and looking in the box it seems Airfix have done a good job on this iconic design. I'm going to go for the Vintage Pairs XH304 as I always liked the look of the CFS light gloss grey and yellow scheme. Funny what you should say about losing your mojo along the way, a few people I spoke to on Sunday felt the same way as indeed I do having been very busy with other things recently and not having touched a model in months, (plus the fact that everything's in storage whilst building work is done !).

Looking forward to seeing progress.....whatever the pace.

(I also hope Airfix release it in the proper scale at some point ).

Melchie