Hurricane experts needed!

Iain Ogilvie

Trying to source some aircraft details for a project I'm working on.

Subject is Sgt Des "Dizzy" Fopp (later Sqn Ldr) who flew with 17 Sqn in France and then Battle of Britain.

Trying to pin down serial number of an aeroplane he'd have flown - and codes/airframe spec (prop etc..)

So far I have him as being shot down whilst flying P3673 on Tuesday 3rd Sep 1940 - any pointers on where I can find info on that particular airframe?

Also - any pointers on serials for Hurricanes flown by 17 Sqn in France - especially anything that could pin down a specific airframe to Fopp.

As usual - any pointers/help really appreciated!

Iain

Hi Iain

can't help specifically, but ther are some pics of about of YB-W,

this is a famous shot

0FF6CF5C_5056_A318_A8ADB571A51631C0.jpg

a few more here.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircraft/hurricanebirdwilson.cfm

There wavy sky demarcation implies an in field repaint I'd say. not sure of the date of these.

also

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205059818

Taken Debden July 1940

standard.jpg

looks to be YB-F but that maybe an 'E'

I mention these as they show the codes read YB-* on port and YB-* on starboard, as this varied between squadrons, both in size and style.

And that when these pics were taken 17 sq had light, probably sky, coloured spinners. There is a better pic of YB-W about head on showing the spinner to match the undersides BTW.

Orders came down from high to do spinners in black [in aug 1940 IIRC], but these may help with an idea of how other 17 Sq Hurricanes were finished if you can't find specifics on YB-E, which at least is some kind of guide.

HTH

T

Edited by Troy Smith

Mentioned this in another thread but has anyone got any ideas or codes for the following Hurricane, flown by my brother''s wife's

The Hurricane in question is P3581 of 605 Squadron flown by P/O P. Danielsen who lost his life when shot down by a BF110 on 27th may 1940.

I'm looking for squadron code letters, which I think we're UP-* at the time, but can't find the individual aircraft letter

Many thanks

Steve

Edited by kspriss

Newton, "A Few of the Few" (p. 151) suggests that Fopps usual aircraft was P3539, YB-I, which apparently lost 3" off the prop tips after a taxing accident (not by Fopp), which threw the prop hopelessly out of balance.

PR

• 2 weeks later...