Corsair IV 117/D KD750 1846 NAS

Devo

Hiya Ian,

Thanks for that,.....it doesn`t look like Crazy to me,...something shorter maybe? `Cops and Robbers' or something like that sort of size? Who knows eh?

Cheers

Tony

FWIW Ron Belling* painted the port side of this aircraft and depicts it with what he describes as a large fairy tale 'Mother Goose' in a corresponding position to the words on the starboard side. He doesn't mention what those were.

Nick

* 'A Portrait of Military Aviation in South Africa', Midland Counties Publications, 1989.

• Like 1

Hi Tony I think I can help with this one from as I have some more photos of 1846 sqn at home that I got from the faa museum. Will have a look tomorrow.

Nick

• Like 1

Hiya Nick M,

Thanks mate, yes I`ve got Ron`s book and helped with the research for the Freightdog Brits at Sea sheet, this is the left hand side;

royal-navy-corsair_zps25d7f91f.jpg

It looks like it has a British mod to both bomb carriers under the wings too (also used by RAF Thunderbolts too);

CorsairII_Bomb_zpsb25e8e64.jpg

Thanks Nick A,

If you can find a clearer view of the right hand side of this aircraft that would be fantastic!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

I see what you mean Nick;

_07___panchito_pistoles_by_michaeljruocc

Was he any relation to Foghorn Leghorn!?

I suppose there must have been two other Cabellero`s within the unit?

Did he have a catch phrase,....... this might be the writing on the other side of the fuselage?

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

my apologies I have only the port side of the KD750. The photo I have of another 1846 aircraft with both sides is KD696, 111, 'Yangtse Nancy'.

I think you're on to something with that gun toting cartoon.

Out of interest does anyone know which aircraft Henry Adlam (author of 'On and off the flight deck' and the 'Disastrous fall and triumphant rise of the Fleet Air Arm') flew with 1846 Sqn? Apparently his aircraft was coded '122', there is a lovely shot of this one:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/03/1e/79/031e7993c143cf58ca2f199dd7f405b9.jpg

could it be his?

I know of only two Corsairs coded '122' with 1846 Sqn: KD780 (pictured in your link) and KD412.

Edit - I have an original photo of 1846:122 with what looks like the name 'OMSK' on the cowl. The serial is not in frame. The same photo shows 114: 'WHAT'S COOKIN'

A list of these starboard side names and port side images would be quite useful.

111 - 'YANGTSE NANCY' / portrait of woman

114 - 'WHAT'S COOKIN'/ ?

117 - ? / Panchito Pistoles or Mother Goose

122 - 'OMSK'/ ?

There are probably others I've missed.....

Edited by iang
  • Like 2

I am preparing to do the same thing with my Tamiya 1D, glad to know about the Good Year vs Vought paint proclivities. Maybe I should just rattle-can this thing like I did in the olden days before I bought my first air-brush, then again maybe not. BTW, Foghorn Leghorn is my fave, followed closely by Marvin the Martian. I would love to see that on the side of some aircraft but Boeing doesn't like paint on their anti-grav aircraft. Wouldn't it look good on their TR3 that they keep out at Edwards. The funny things you learn when you got a relative in the Air Force.

Cheers

I know of only two Corsairs coded '122' with 1846 Sqn: KD780 (pictured in your link) and KD412.

Edit - I have an original photo of 1846:122 with what looks like the name 'OMSK' on the cowl. The serial is not in frame. The same photo shows 114: 'WHAT'S COOKIN'

A list of these starboard side names and port side images would be quite useful.

111 - 'YANGTSE NANCY' / portrait of woman

114 - 'WHAT'S COOKIN'/ ?

117 - ? / Panchito Pistoles or Mother Goose

122 - 'OMSK'/ ?

There are probably others I've missed.....

What does OMSK stand for? Typing it into google reveals 'On my stinking Knees'!

I don't know, but I think that's what is says? This is from an album of a unknown flyer on Colossus that I own. Note the U7 code on the cowl cover, which predate the BPF numbers.

img035%20copy_zpsedh5hi07.jpg

Cheers Ian,

The first thing that I noted too was the engine cover and intake blanks were still marked with the previous code U7O which was carried from Malta to Ceylon before BPF markings and codes were applied, but whether these refer to this particular aircraft or a previous `122' who knows? However,.......the upper wing BPF marking does appear to have a small white centre so it `could' have been modified from a previous East Indies Fleet roundel, meaning that it was not a replacement aircraft received via Australia? Mind you,....I cannot see a BPF bar on the wing marking so it could still be an EIF roundel?

OMSK- Apart from the obvious, ie a Russian city, I`m stumped at the moment.

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Hi Tony,

The image I posted was a heavily cropped portion of the original photo. The original shows full BPF markings. In addition, it provides evidence that enables accurate dating, because as well as part of her air group, there are a large number of ex-POWs on Colossus' deck. I believe that although Colossus made several POW trips after the end of the War, only one was with her air group embarked. On 26 September 1945 Colossus embarked 350 British and Australian ex-POWs from the Yellow Sea port of Inchon. Colossus arrived at Manila on 4 October, where she embarked more ex-POWs and civilian internees, include some women, and disembarked the army ex-POWs. So this gives an accurate window of when the photo was taken - 26 September to 4 October 1945 - as army personnel are clearly visible on deck, but no civilians.

I'd guess that OMSK refers to the Russian town and the pilot had some connection with it.

IG

Edited by iang

The other obvious comment is aircraft O and a nickname Omsk. Did other nicknames begin with the aircraft's letter?

Assuming that the cowl cover is for that aircraft and it is U7O and not U7Q. It is quite a difficult task to map the U5/U6/U7 codes onto the BPF aircraft numbers, as it requires quite extensive serial number data.

111/D: KD696 'Yangste Nancy'

114/D: KD702 'What's Cookin'

117/D: KD750 ?/ Panchito Pistoles or Mother Goose

122/D: KD780 'OMSK' (given the date of the photo it must be this one rather than KD412)

If you are right Graham, then KD696 would have been U7Y or U7N and KD702 would have been U7W or U7C. I have quite a few serials for the U5/U6/U7 period, but I don't have these.

Edited by iang

Assuming that the cowl cover is for that aircraft and it is U7O and not U7Q.

I'm inclined towards 70 (7 then zero) rather than 7-Oscar based on both the cowl cover and the intake cover at the wing root. Can't see it being 7Q based on the visible details in the pic.

Initially I assumed this was 7Q Queenie, with an extravagantly exaggerated stroke to differentiate it clearly from 7O Orange. But now I'm more inclined to think it is 7O, with a perpetation of the quirky FAA "theta" symbol seen on Formidable's Seafires, Marlets and Albacores in 1942-3.

Nor do I rule out the intake covers bearing 7U (look where the tops of the letter are relative to the top of the bar of the 7), thus calling into doubt whether covers were always, invariably, reserved to a specific airframe (to which it might reasonably be objected: but, if not, why mark them at all?

As to the significance of OMSK, I'm drawn by 85Sqn's suggestion that it's some now-forgotten acronym, maybe even the one he mentions, perhaps with stinking replaced with a more colourful adjective.

For what it's worth!

Not Theta but Phi, i.e. F for Formidable (the allocated code) in the Op. Torch photos.

I recall at least one FAA fighter with a Theta - a horizontal line across the middle of the O - I think it was a Hellcat but memory does not say which ship.

Oops: a little learning, etc. Too young to have learned Greek: education has gone to the bow-wows.

If F was the designated letter for Formidable during TORCH (and Sturtivant says it was), my theory goes for a ball of chalk. And I learn that the Formidable usage was not down to some classically-educated guy on Formid obtaining permission to put a stroke through the designated O to give an allusion to the carrier's name.

Think I can recall that instance of a (true) theta as well: can't remember where either.

On the topic of roundels, does anyone know if all BPF Corsairs in GSB showed evidence of the roundels of their upper right and lower left wings being painted out? In many photos you can clearly see a darker circle on the wing where the "European" style roundel has been painted over. In other pictures it's more ambiguous whether the wing has an over-painted spot or is a consistent GSB color.

In cases where the roundel was painted out, what color paint would likely have been used? Did the BPF have stocks of GSB, or would it have used a different color, such as EDSG, for overpainting.

Many thanks.