Corsair IV 117/D KD750 1846 NAS

Devo

G'day All,

I currently have a 1/48 Tamiya Corsair build underway. I'm going to finish it as 117/D KD750 using Freightdogs Decals.

I still have a couple of questions regarding the aircraft though. I have trawled the site and the net but still need to confirm some things, so here goes:

Are the main gear bay and tail wheel bay Gloss Sea Blue?

Inside of all gear doors GSB?

U/C struts and wheel hubs GSB?

Wingfold area GSB?

No underwing landing light, its moved to left wing leading edge?

Did this aircraft have any whip aerials fitted on the underside of the fuselage?

In the pic of the aircraft airborne over Capetown, does anyone think that a centreline bomb rack is installled?(Hard to make it out as I think only the front end of the rack is seen.)

What dimensions would the three scoops seen on FAA Corsair IV be in 1/48 and are there any good detail pics available of them?

I've squared the wingtips and will install the longer tail wheel.

Thats all I can think of for now. Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Devo

I am no Corsair expert, but it does so happen that I am building the Airfix re-pop of the Matchbox, Otaki, Arii F4U-1A at the moment, and also have a copy of the Fleet Air Arm Museum book "The Time Capsule Fighter, Corsair KD431" (ISBN 0-7509-4305-X) which I personally trust as a reference on the subject-

based on that book, KD431 did have Gloss Sea Blue everything you mention above, and that's all I can answer for sure, but if you use google images for KD431 you may find some further information.

Cheers,

Troffa

I am no Corsair expert, but it does so happen that I am building the Airfix re-pop of the Matchbox, Otaki, Arii F4U-1A at the moment, and also have a copy of the Fleet Air Arm Museum book "The Time Capsule Fighter, Corsair KD431" (ISBN 0-7509-4305-X) which I personally trust as a reference on the subject-

based on that book, KD431 did have Gloss Sea Blue everything you mention above, and that's all I can answer for sure, but if you use google images for KD431 you may find some further information.

Cheers,

Troffa

Thanks for your response mate, cheers.

Clearly you haven't been looking at Goodyear-Manufactured Corsairs for the Fleet Air Arm.

Aye aye!

I don't recall ever seeing a Corsair with GSB gear struts. During WWII they were mainly painted silver.

I've only seen black and white pics of FAA Goodyear FG-1D Corsair IV's and to me, most of the gear legs and wheel rims look to be a dark colour as per the paint on the airframe. The aircraft I'm doing was an FG-1D so everything is going to get blue on it, same for the droptank I'll install. I'm no Corsair guru either, just a gluer of plastic. I like to get a fair represenation without rivet counting though.

Edited by Devo

I'd also seriously recommend you get hold of a copy of Dave Morris' book "The Time Capsule Fighter, Corsair KD431" because it contains a wealth of information about how Corsairs were painted.

Thanks for the recommendation Jonathan. I'm a cheap charlie and can't justify the book.

I'm happy if people are willing to give or not give me the answers to my ramblings. Surfing the net is hit and miss, just trying to get info so that I can make a more informed decision with my build.

Cheers,

Devo

Again, I can only comment on KD431 which appears to have a zinc chromate yellow interior to its engine cowl, with a white section at the very front of the nose, where the cowl panels curve towards the prop hub. This matte white section is the subject of some discussion in the book as it is not known if this was a standard finish, although I would suspect it could be, as white is a good colour to show up any oil leaks in the engine or gear box thingy. (that's a technical term!)

regards,

Troffa

Again, I can only comment on KD431 which appears to have a zinc chromate yellow interior to its engine cowl, with a white section at the very front of the nose, where the cowl panels curve towards the prop hub. This matte white section is the subject of some discussion in the book as it is not known if this was a standard finish, although I would suspect it could be, as white is a good colour to show up any oil leaks in the engine or gear box thingy. (that's a technical term!)

regards,

Troffa

Thanks again Troffa, I appreciate the technical talk about technical thingie's.

Do you know what shape the two scoops on the fuselage and the one underneath are shaped like at all?? I can't zoom in enough on the pics I have gotten from public sources to see that detail. I can't tell if they are round , square , oval etc.

Cheers,

Devo

I'd also seriously recommend you get hold of a copy of Dave Morris' book "The Time Capsule Fighter, Corsair KD431" because it contains a wealth of information about how Corsairs were painted.

That book is the Bible for KD431 and other Good Year built Corsairs.

• 3 weeks later...

Aye aye!

I've only seen black and white pics of FAA Goodyear FG-1D Corsair IV's and to me, most of the gear legs and wheel rims look to be a dark colour as per the paint on the airframe. The aircraft I'm doing was an FG-1D so everything is going to get blue on it, same for the droptank I'll install. I'm no Corsair guru either, just a gluer of plastic. I like to get a fair represenation without rivet counting though.

A bit late in this thread guys, but here's a couple of BPF Corsair pics that I think I've posted before. Hard t tell what colour the u/c legs are, as there's just too much shadow.

faacorsair2.jpg

1842 Squadron (HMS Formidable) off the coast of Japan, 12 of August 1945. Pilot is a Kiwi, Sub/L (A) John Middleton.

faacorsair1.jpg

Taken in July 1945.

Cheers,

Pete M.

Cheers for posting those pics Pete.

Seems blue for most things is the go, with the option of silver coloured wheel rims and a sky coloured drop tank. My Corsair build is currently "slow ahead both".(Over taken by a Rafale M build??)

I appreciate all the info coming in regarding my questions though.

Thanks mate.

Devo

Going from the two photographs which Pete just posted, They appear to be Goodyear aircraft. The struts in the first photo i'm reasonably sure in Gloss Sea Blue. Silver or Light Grey painted wheels were considered rotable parts and they could very well have been sourced from earlier camouflaged Corsairs.

The second photo i'm pretty sure is of a Goodyear FG-1A. Earlier style 13'4" propeller, centreline drop tank, and you can just barely see the fuel tank vent mast in the corner of the national insignia where the "bar" joins the roundel. Pretty much proves its an earlier -A version.

-d-

• 2 years later...

I have a photo of three Corsairs with KD750/117/D furthest from the camera as they fly over Capetown in South Africa and it shows that a name is applied to the right hand side of the aircraft,......unfortunately it is just too blurred to be able to read but there are two words, one above the other!

Does anybody know that this might be? I`m currently building a model of this one myself.

Here is the pic;

1846%20Sqn%20HMS%20Colossus%20Vought%20C

Cheers

Tony