F-14A 'Iranian Air Force' 1:72 Hasegawa

woody37

F-14A ‘Iranian Air Force’

Hasegawa 1:72

box.jpg

In the 70’s, Soviet Mig-25’s were freely operating over Iranian territory and the IIAF didn’t have anything to deal with these high altitude high speed intruders. With the political situation very different in that era, they started to look for an interceptor to challenge the intrusions and the US was very interested to support them. After thorough flight testing of many aircraft by Iranian pilots, the Tomcat won in a final choice between it and the F-15, possibly because the incredible AIM-54 Phoenix giving it a long range intercept capability. A loan to Grumman of $75m by Iran probably saved the F-14 programme too due to the US government withdrawing its funding. 79 aircraft out of the 80 planned were delivered to Iran and this was completed by 1979 including many the Phoenix missiles. The aircraft was essentially the same aircraft as supplied to the US Navy less some of the avionics and had the later TF-30-414 engines that dealt with issues surrounding compressor stalls. Iranian Tomcats were to prove their worth in the 80’s in the Iran / Iraqi war when they were put into combat with great success against a variety of adversaries including Mirage F.1’s, Mig-21’s, Mig-23’s and more with claims that over 160 aircraft were shot down. The challenges faced by Iran’s Tomcat fleet were not just from capable adversaries but from the political environment, in particular an arms supply embargo from the west. Despite these challenges, Iran still operates the F-14 today and through reverse engineering and possible supplies from other countries such as Israel, it’s expected to remain in service for many years. In fact, it’s believed to have more aircraft serviceable now than in the 1980’s which is a considerable achievement.

The Kit
The kit is the second incarnation produced by Hasegawa as far back as the 80’s so this isn’t a new moulding but is generally regarded as still being the best kit on the market. It comes packaged in the usual way for Hasegawa, the photographic artwork being quite stunning in my opinion. In the box you find a lot of plastic. 10 light grey sprues, 1 clear sprue and a sheet of etch make this a pretty comprehensive kit with 195 parts. My first impressions are mixed. There is a lot in the kit and very nicely detailed too, however, perhaps the moulds are getting tired now as there’s a lot of thin flash around which will add to the time in preparation during assembly. Fortunately, it seems to of been restrained to the larger parts, the smaller more delicate parts haven’t suffered as much. Another challenge is that the instructions provided are for a US Navy kit. As such, there are several alternative parts such as the pod under the nose which went through several evolutions all of which are included in the kit, and whilst it may be obvious to some how the Iranian aircraft were configured, I’m sure not everyone will know. Only an additional decal and painting guide is included for the Iranian version. A great feature is the fact that the cockpit, slats and flaps can all be displayed in the open position.

instructions.jpg

Assembly starts traditionally with the cockpit. Here the side and quarter panels as well as the ejection handles all get treated to some finely detailed etch. In the reviews I’ve done on Hasegawa kits in the last 12 months, they generally lack detail in the pit with over simplified seats, but this kit is certainly one of their better efforts. The seats come in no less than 5 parts with nicely detailed side panels and have seatbelts moulded in to the cushions. The instrument panels are also pleasantly detailed allowing some intricate painting to bring out the detail. Something to be aware of however if you have a critical eye for detail is that the cockpit is that of a US machine, the current Iranian Tomcats have a different layout from looking at pictures on the net, most notably being two displays side by side rather than one above the other.

cockpit_tub.jpg

panels.jpg

seat.jpg

etch.jpg

The fuselage make up consists of a font section that houses the cockpit, a centre section made in top and bottom halves then the rear end housing the airbrakes. Surface detail on the fuselage is refined and crisp with panel lines and rivets being included, although appearance is let down by flash around the edges of the parts. The nose includes a pilot access ladder and foot plates that can be open or closed. The kit is quite complex in assembly and whilst I’ve built the 1/48 kit many moons ago, this kit seems to off more in terms of features despite being much smaller so may not suit beginner skills.

upper_fuse.jpg

upper_fuse_close.jpg

fuse_lower.jpg

fuse_lower_close.jpg

fuse_lower_close2.jpg

nose.jpg

airbrake.jpg

airbrake_close.jpg

The intakes are designed very well including the variable inlet ramps and full internal intakes right up to and including the engine fan. The assembled intakes mate on to the lower fuselage half which is previously mated to the upper surface. Exhaust assembly is again quite complex with 8 parts per exhaust that require assembling, however the effort is worth it with some pleasant detailing in both the internal and external surfaces.

intake.jpg

exhaust.jpg

exhaust_close.jpg

The undercarriage is beautifully detailed and captures the shape and intricacy well. Two nose gear options are included given that it’s the US Navy kit – normal or compressed as you would see it when lined up on the cat, however as the Iranians don’t operate from carriers, this wouldn’t be appropriate here. The main wheels come with separate hubs to aid painting but be aware that there are two types so reference to photographs will be needed. From my observations, it looks like hub part 19 is the correct type to use. There are some slight ejector pin marks on the front inside tyres although these should be easy to correct.

wing_lower.jpg

nose_gear.jpg

wheel.jpg

wheel_close.jpg

Assembly of the wings look straight forwards, although you need to decide on your sweep configuration. If you decide to have the wings swept, obviously you will need the flaps retracted but you will also need to cut a part off the internal locating mechanism where it sits in the wing glove. As with the fuselage, surface detailing is superb although yet more flash is present. The nose section according to the instructions, simply fits to the centre fuselage, however Andy Mullen who has accumulated considerable experience with this kit can offer far more than I can to building the kit HERE. Hope you don’t mind me linking to this Andy ?

wing_upper.jpg

wing_close.jpg

tail.jpg

tail_close.jpg

A comprehensive amount of clear parts are included in the kit. Wing tip, tail and wing glove navigation lighters are all catered for, so keep them well away from the carpet monster ! The canopy and windscreen are beautifully clear, however as normal, there is a fine seem along the canopy centreline that needs to be sanded out. The canopy gets a good dose of etch, the rear view mirrors and locking mechanism along the base give a boost of detail to an already busy cockpit.

clear.jpg

Now for the weapon load....or lack of. Considering the original kit came with the mix of Sidewinders, Sparrow and Phoenix, all of which are included in the instructions (as though to rub salt in the wound!) Hasegawa have omitted the lot. I find this very disappointing. The Iranians reputedly used the Phoenix in anger on many occasions as too the Sidewinder (although the Phoenix were probably expended years ago) , so this looks like a cost saving exercise. The drop tanks are included, but none of the pictures I’ve seen show them being carried. If you do get a set of weapons from somewhere, fortunately, all the pylons are included as they are on the included sprues.

Decals

The decals appear to be of very good quality. Very sharp in register and good colour, they should finish your model off very well. From what I can see, the markings never changed when the camouflage scheme changed, so you should be able to do the classic sand / brown / green scheme if you prefer. A good set of cockpit detail decals are also included if this is your preferred method of detailing, but the detail on the plastic parts will need sanding off to use. Markings are included for 3 aircraft; 3-6042. 3-6043, 3-6077 displayed in the paint guide in the latest scheme as worn in 2012.

decal.jpg

Conclusion

It’s widely agreed that this is the best F-14A kit on the market with good exterior and interior detailing. I’m sure the livery will be a popular choice too, however it’s not a perfect package. Plenty of flash on the larger parts will create some extra work for you and if detail is important to you, some research will be necessary to choose the right options contained in the box. A big disappointment is the lack of missiles in the kit considering the retail price is for a premium kit. That said, I’m pleased to have this in my collection as it’s an aircraft I’ve always wanted to build.

Review sample courtesy of
logo.jpg UK distributors for logo.jpg

• Like 3

A few comments: having the instructions for the original "Atlantic Fleet Squadrons" is normal for most or all of these hasegawa reboxes. The additional decal sheet however mentions which one of the original kit options must be used as a reference for assembly of the various parts, so that the right ones of the many optional bits are used. This seems to be no exception, as I can see on the new decal guide a couple of notes like "follow option xy" and "use part x,y,z for vertical tails". So it's important to keep at hand the decal guide too during assembly.

This kit never came with missiles. The original instructions referred to the weapons available in one of the hasegawa weapons sets. Anyone building this kit in Iranian markings should use the AIM-9J/P model sidewinders with their distinctive cranked arrow front fins and not the L/M used by the USN

The markings did not change during the change of camouflage, although some grey/blue aircrafts had the IRIAF titles in contrasting colours. However the same IRIAF titles changed during the life of the tomcat in Iranian service: the titles were initially IIAF (Imperial Iranian Air Force), then some had just IAF, moved back to IIAF and finally to IRIAF (Islamic Revolutionary Iranian Air Force). I have a feeling that the iranian flag on the tail changed also but I'm not sure now. So the markings in the box can be used for an aircraft in the previous camouflage but not going back too much in time.

Last but not least: the Iranian Tomcats don't use the door on the retractable refuelling probe... and this is a bit of a problem as the hasegawa kit does not allow this feature (the door is moulded on the fuselage). For an accurate reproduction, the offending part must be cut from the right fuselage half and part of the probe scratchbuilt.

My understanding was that IRIAF F-14s lacked the refueling probe door cover, as it interfered with the USAF-style refueling drogues they used. Does the kit reflect this, or did the probes later gain the doors back?

My understanding was that IRIAF F-14s lacked the refueling probe door cover, as it interfered with the USAF-style refueling drogues they used. Does the kit reflect this, or did the probes later gain the doors back?

Correct, and this is the same reason why USN Tomcats during OIF and OEF didn't carry the doors as they could have been refuelled by USAF aircrafts.

The doors were delivered to Iran, however it's very rare to see a picture of an Iranian Tomcat with the door on. Very rare but not impossible and I've seen a couple...

The kit does not reflect this, and no 1/72 Hasegawa kit has this feature unfortunately.

Interestingly I've seen mentions that Grumman studied the possibility of introducing a proper USAF style receptacle for Iran using the last aircraft ordered that was kept in the US, but work stopped after the revolution

• Like 1

always loved this livery on the tomcats.

as well as the ferris scheme it is at all my fav one.

hasegawa model is still at today the nicest imho. dunno if it ever has been reissued into cheapest revell boxes. last f-14 are not hasegawa moulds at all.Nice ones, but not same level.

You wrote twice that Hasegawa's Tomcat is the best on the market and second time you also said that's something widely agreed. How come that there are so many opinions on the internet and in modeling magazines that Fujimi's Tomcat is better?

From what I read, the public opinion on best Tomcat is split between these two producers and might be a matter of personal preference, which means that it is not something that is widely agreed at least but needs more in depth analysis for final verdict. Fujimi also produced Iranian version and their kit comes with full weapons load.

Hi Marko ??, Sorry if that isn't your name.

Based on the research I did, I came to that conclusion. You're absolutely right, we all have personal preferences. I wasn't trying to start an argument or a debate. I (or perhaps we, all at Britmodeller) write reviews as a hobby, balancing family, work, modelling and of course reviewing. I really wish I had more time to do more in depth analysis, but I don't I'm afraid. Hence, I'm always welcoming of other peoples experience and knoweldge as Giorgio did above if it adds value to the review :)

I appreciate that this way of working may not be good enough for some people, that is something we just have to accept.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 2

Correct, and this is the same reason why USN Tomcats during OIF and OEF didn't carry the doors as they could have been refuelled by USAF aircrafts.

The doors were delivered to Iran, however it's very rare to see a picture of an Iranian Tomcat with the door on. Very rare but not impossible and I've seen a couple...

The kit does not reflect this, and no 1/72 Hasegawa kit has this feature unfortunately.

Interestingly I've seen mentions that Grumman studied the possibility of introducing a proper USAF style receptacle for Iran using the last aircraft ordered that was kept in the US, but work stopped after the revolution

Correct. Although doors were delivered they were never carried in service.

The drop tanks are included, but none of the pictures I’ve seen show them being carried.

That's because they never bought any in the first place.

You wrote twice that Hasegawa's Tomcat is the best on the market and second time you also said that's something widely agreed. How come that there are so many opinions on the internet and in modeling magazines that Fujimi's Tomcat is better?

Hi Marko,

To summarise, it generally is about buyer/modeller preference and a lot balances on your take on model making itself. Comments on the 'better' debate have to be taken into context, as just the inclusion of things such as weapons and even pricing can sway opinion on which is better (a simplified example, I know!)

The Hasegawa kits are highly rated for their overall accuracy in dimensions, shape, presentation as well as options, releases, upgraded parts, etc. Brand affinity plays it's part too... This is generally the main reason why folks will regard them as the 'best'. They aren't that easy to build though, due to the complexities of the modular moulds and ageing tooling.

The Fujimi kits are also highly rated but more so for it's ease of construction, features, weapons, consistent detailing, etc. Fujimi deserve credit for their productions, they've released a few kits with markings rarely if ever covered by other companies in 72nd scale ( the F-14A+ TARPS release springs to mind, it features the aircraft lost during the 1990/1991 Gulf War and the VF-24 'desert schemes')

As someone who has built both in the past, I prefer the Hasegawa kit for 'full on' detail builds and the Fujimi ones for 'quick relaxed' builds, purely down to accuracy of shape and variants. Some of my notes on the Fujimi kit in comparison to the Hasegawa kit and at times, the actual aircraft include:

1 - Shorter nose which is 'stubby' in appearance.

2 - Flatter canopy without the distinctive 'double bubble' profile.

3 - Overall shape and dimensions of the engine pods.

4 - GE nozzle fairings are inaccurate.

5 - None of the F-14D releases apart from the prototype can be built as full F-14D's if you care...

6 - Finally and a big one for me, the front fuselage cross section is far too 'square' in appearance.

Please note that this is just my personal opinion based on my own and others experiences and this in no way means that the Fujimi kit is bad. Ultimately, the choice depends on your approach to model making. The most diplomatic and ideal thing to do, would be to buy and build both and come to your own conclusions... :whistle:

Apologies for not posting any images to illustrate my observations, I hope this helps you somewhat. All the best,

Lee.

Edited by LeVi Tophatter
  • Like 1

From what I read, the public opinion on best Tomcat is split between these two producers and might be a matter of personal preference, which means that it is not something that is widely agreed at least but needs more in depth analysis for final verdict. Fujimi also produced Iranian version and their kit comes with full weapons load.

Which modelling magazines and forums are those???

While the Fujimi kit is anything than bad, it cannot compare with Hasegawa for the reasons stated in the above post.

Ah, and the Fujimi Iranian markings (both IIAF/IRIAF) are wrong.

Just FYI....

Edited by Panoz

Hi Marko,

thanks for highly informative answer, I appreciate it. This is the first time I see someone mentioning shape differences between these two.

No worries, just helping another model maker out.

I have to be honest, I'm very partial to the Hasegawa kit purely as it ticks all the boxes for me and I have a soft spot for the big 'Turkey'. I only really noticed these differences when building the kits, the differences are very clear when either model is next to each other.

Marko, I would say just build either kit (if you can find and afford them!!!) and enjoy the experience but if you want an accurate model, go with Hasegawa. For a good, quick kit, go with Fujimi. Another route is to forget about the Fujimi/Hasegawa divide and build the easily available and affordable new Hobbyboss? kit...

Have a look at the link Woody37 included with his review, I think this will do much to inform your own opinion and even better, get you in the mood for some building!

Take care, Lee.

The matter of hasegawa vs. fujimi is not as easy as it may seem: both kits have pros and cons and certain bits of the fujimi kit are better than the equivalent in the hasegawa kit. One of these days I'll dig out a list of these bits and post it, but just from memory for example the GE exhausts in the fujimi kits are somewhat better... although as their Ds have wrong fairings they can't be used on the same kits to build an accurate B or D.

On the other hand the hasegawa kits have that slight edge in offering a more "sophisticated" product and this can be seen in a number of areas. One example only: the hasegawa kits are the only ones to offer main wheel wells including the part under the air intakes.

Unfortunately this sophistication comes at a price and the price is a certain difficulty in the assembly phase. Now this can and can not be a problem depending on the modeller, some might prefer a more accurate kit that is more difficult to build, others a less accurate but easier kit.

However the fujimi kits might be easy but only compared to the hasegawa kits, they are not beginner kits either IMHO

Speaking of cost, both japanese kits are quite expensive however they can be found for good prices hunting around in on-line shops, ebay auctions, second hand dealers and forum markets. I've never paid more than £18 for any of my Hasegawa 1/72 kits and I have quite a few.....

Edited by Giorgio N

The drop tanks are included, but none of the pictures I’ve seen show them being carried.

That's because they never bought any in the first place.

Well you learn something every day. Never knew that!

Julien

• 1 month later...

Which modelling magazines and forums are those???

While the Fujimi kit is anything than bad, it cannot compare with Hasegawa for the reasons stated in the above post.

Ah, and the Fujimi Iranian markings (both IIAF/IRIAF) are wrong.

Just FYI....

What is wrong with Iranian decals?? I would like to make this option.

Hi Giorgio, thanks for the kind offer. I am afraid my kit is burried at the back of my loft somewhere and not easy to find. I was hoping the guy who said they were wrong might shed some light. Failing that, I may have to get stuck in and sort out my stash! Cheers.

Edited by chockhead

• 1 month later...

Hi Giorgio, thanks for the kind offer. I am afraid my kit is burried at the back of my loft somewhere and not easy to find. I was hoping the guy who said they were wrong might shed some light. Failing that, I may have to get stuck in and sort out my stash! Cheers.

Kit contents:

http://www.andysmodels.me.uk/models/images/Misc/Kits/Fujimi/FJ28001.htm

Decals:

Fujimi_Decals.jpg

Real aircraft:

IIAF_F-14.jpg

IRIAF_F-14.jpg

Edited by Panoz

And here are the profiles of the two Iranian options again from Mr. Mullen's site. (Photos are NOT hotlinked).

Note that the markings are depicted correctly in his artwork.

F14A_IIAF_3-863_160299_001.jpg

F14A_IRIAF_3-6020_160318_001.jpg

As for Fujimi; well other than the wrong colours and proportions of both the roundels and fin flash as well as the wrong font of the serial numbers and IIAF/IRIAF titles they're not bad. :whistle:

And didn't anyone tell them that the flag changed after the "Revolution"???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Iran

Probably not... :rolleyes:

Edited by Panoz