Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk1A, 760 NAS Yeovilton 1941

jenko

This is the latest of the bench. It's the 1/48 Hasegawa kit OOB. No problems in the construction and details about this kit abound. The aircraft is well documented pictorially and should be as worn as hell. I've done it as it would be restored and going into a museum..................it's the way I do 'erm.

Comments are always welcome.

Thanks for looking.

DPP_146_zps366068a4.jpg

DPP_145_zpsed496a3c.jpg

DPP_144_zps89aeb021.jpg

DPP_147_zpsb831b44e.jpg

• Like 5

That's really nice tidy Hurricane, just one thing though, the catapult spools that you`ve stuck into the side of the rear fuselage shouldn`t be there, those holes are actually drainage holes. As far as I can tell the only navalisation on these training machines was the radios?

All the best

Tony O

PS- Is that a P-40 style tail wheel?

Edited by tonyot

Hi Tony,

I didn't put the full story about this. The kit was bought at a show some time back. When I started making it I found the correct sprue with the tail wheel, exhausts etc was missing so that was all I had in the spares box......hobsons choice.

Will sort the spools out.

Thanks

Dick

Jenko...

With exception to the roundels on the side of the fuselage and on the lower wings... that is a beautiful Sea Hurry. ;) Its a VERY nicely kitted example.

The roundels that you have on this particular example are what are known as the Type C.1. Implementation of these roundels were implemented for the time frame of July 1942 - January 1945. With this roundel lasting on some Hawker Tempests till 1947.

The roundel implemented for 1941 would have been the Type A.2. Which is the same roundel used during the Battle of Britain. The roundel looks similar to the Type A.1, which all four rings of the roundel are equal in proportion. However, for the Type A.2 the outter(yellow)ring is slightly thinner than the inner three.

The lower wing roundels which you have here were also implemented for the same time frame as the fuselage roundels(July 1942 - January 1947). The lower wing roundel would have been the same as they were during the Battle of Britain utilizing the Type A roundel with the three equally proportionable rings of red, white and blue.

Again great job. ;)

Best Regards,
Hurry

Edited by Hurry

Hurry,

The kit is OOB. However the date I took from a photo in " On Target Profile 12 Hawker Hurricane" page 60 bottom left hand side where the caption states for this aircraft (P3090) but coded W8-F, Yeovilton 1941.

Dick

There is a colour photograph of P3090 W8E, complete with Type C1 fuselage roundels on page 12 of Volume 3 of Charles Brown's Camera Above The Clouds. Photograph trumps artwork any time. No date though.

Sturtivant's FAA Aircraft lists P3090 as serving with 759/760 Squadrons, first as W8E and later as S, from September 41 onwards. Last recorded in a landing incident in Feb 43.

Suggest the model is right, the date wrong.

Sturtivant lists the aircraft as a Mk.IB, meaning it should have arrester hook and DH prop (not 12 guns). I suspect that the Rotol prop and the absence of the hook are not coincidental, otherwise the cg would be too far aft. The Mk.IA designation was for the CAM ships' Hurricanes, but I suspect here we have a de-hooked Mk.IB?

Sturtivant lists the aircraft as a Mk.IB, meaning it should have arrester hook and DH prop (not 12 guns). I suspect that the Rotol prop and the absence of the hook are not coincidental, otherwise the cg would be too far aft. The Mk.IA designation was for the CAM ships' Hurricanes, but I suspect here we have a de-hooked Mk.IB?

According to Edward Shacklady in his book " Hawker Hurricane, Classic WWll aviation volume 1" by Tempus Publishing Ltd. in appendix ll .......it's a 1A.

It is certainly "de facto" a Mk.IA in the photo, however it may have been fitted ex-factory or labelled in the records. Sturtivant doesn't have many SH Mk.IA, but a few simply as Mk.Is, all of which follow a similar career path to this one, in training units only. He also queries at least one Mk.IB as (IA?), so this could well be another. The CAM ship fighters were RAF operated, so perhaps many SH Mk.IAs never joined the FAA?