De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk VI digital 3D work-in-progress

Skyraider3D

Here's my current WIP project, the famous "wooden wonder": the De Havilland Mosquito.

MosquitoFBMkVI_wip07.jpg

This is actually my first British WW2 project since I started doing 3D some fifteen years ago! About time too, as I lived in the UK for the better part of a decade!

I've started with the most common version, the FB Mk VI. The Mosquito served in no less than two dozen countries and about 60(!) pilots made ace on the Mosquito, so it's a nice and versatile subject!

Some more images of its current state:

MosquitoFBMkVI_wip01.jpg

MosquitoFBMkVI_wip02.jpg

MosquitoFBMkVI_wip03.jpg

MosquitoFBMkVI_wip04.jpg

MosquitoFBMkVI_wip05.jpg

MosquitoFBMkVI_wip06.jpg

Still some modelling left to do, but it's starting to look like a Mosquito! As per usual there were no "perfect" drawings available, so it's a combination of known dimensional data, scale plans, engineering drawings, manual drawings, DH fuselage lofting data generously supplied by Mark Gauntlett (many thanks Mark!), AAEE reports, NACA reports and hundreds of photographs. I.e. plenty of research! Mark's drawings are the most accurate around, by the way, and form the basis of this model, though especially on the tail, wing and engine nacelles I've deviated from them were necessary. My goal is to make this an absolutely accurate 3D Mosquito.

The Mosquito will go well with the Junkers Ju 88 I made last year. These two aircraft are perfect adversaries and during the course of WW2 they fought eachother around the clock, over sea and over land, in all bomber, fighter and recce roles. Interestingly the battle between the Ju 88 and the Mosquito started even before the prototype was finished! On 3 October 1940 a well-aimed attack by a single Ju 88 flying at just 60 ft destroyed most of the jigs and killed 21 De Havilland staff, while injuring another 70. The prototype escaped major harm luckily, and as a sign of things to come, the Ju 88 was shot down by small arms fire...

I should be rounding this up this month, so stay tuned! :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful work! I dabble a bit in 3D Art, although I've yet to tackle doing an actual aeroplane in 3D (my first will definitely be the Il-2 Shturmovik). I've found that conceptually, constructing something in 3D is similar to plastic modelling (they're both called modelling for a reason) in that you're taking a bunch of geometric shapes and putting them together to resemble something real (or imagined - I enjoy doing Science-Fiction art). What programme(s) are you using?

Best Regards,

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

I can hear those Merlins growling.

Utterly brilliant. Have you decided on a scheme? Pardon my ignorance but can you do multiple ones and change at will?

Trevor the deeply impressed

Thanks Trevor!!

Have you decided on a scheme? Pardon my ignorance but can you do multiple ones and change at will?

First up will be a 418th Sqn intruder (for my client), after which I can indeed do any other scheme of choice. I'll definitely do a Coastal Command one and something in silver... SEAC, Turkish AF, RAAF, RNZAF, we'll see :) Also considering some current restorations like KA114 and TA122.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool!

If you're looking for alternative schemes what about 23 Sqn night fighters in Malta? Day scheme as you have now but with Night undersides applied in field.

Trevor still impressed

From a struggling 3D artist to an obvious master, brilliant work!

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. Just had a butcher's at your site - brilliant work there. I especially like the Taizan.

Edited by Learstang

• 1 month later...

Ah, yes, just spotted it. I'd overlooked it the first time but thank you, Andrew. This is wonderful stuff - great work, Ronnie!

Best regards,

Andy

• 5 months later...

Thanks a lot guys!

Glad you like the Nate & Tojo, Jason! Together with the Mosquito, these are some of my newest models. I have a Tojo/Mosquito dogfight artwork in the pipeline... but not how most would imagine it!

Due to other commissions and priorities, the model hasn't progressed much since last update. I still need to do the gunsight, tail wheel, some smaller details and all stenciling.

Meanwhile I'd like to show the so-called wireframe, so you get an idea how it's built up. Hopefully it's of some interest :)

Mosquito_wireframe_1350.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Utterly brilliant,.....fab,......er,....... stupendous,....... just WOW!

What a fantastic job,.......it looks real! Like Trevor says,.........10/10!

Cheers

Tony

Excellent work, I know how hard 3Dmax is to pick up, I tried and failed, but maybe I need to find a suitable course, although they do this at the University where I work, but would rather go outside and do it, otherwise they get you involved with helping the students

Excellent work, I know how hard 3Dmax is to pick up, I tried and failed, but maybe I need to find a suitable course, although they do this at the University where I work, but would rather go outside and do it, otherwise they get you involved with helping the students

If you find max hard, try some of the other programmes. Lightwave3d or Cinema4d