Yamaha YZ250 - done :)

Will Vale

I did the things I really didn't want to do today - polished the bodywork and applied the decals. Actually the polishing wasn't too bad - I kind of like doing it and didn't go through the paint:

8612056203_d1827becec_c.jpg

(click for bigger)

It won't look this shiny most of the time - this is under-exposed in direct sunlight to show the reflections.

The decals were a bit of a mare though - I cracked one of the red race number backgrounds, so started putting the yellow alternative on the other side and split that one too :( In the end I got the red background on the front and RHS plates, and the yellow on the left - oh dear :(

The fuel tank decals (all important) went on OK - I slid one too hard and split it in half, but it was clean and I nudged the halves together. I find decals trying, I'm not usually so ham-fisted but I think they make me nervous. Especially annoying because these should have been easy. I also lost the "Yamaha" from the back of the seat - I wanted to set that one in Klear since it's an odd surface to decal onto, but managed to pick up one of the 'A's while trying to squeegee it and wasn't able to get it off my finger. Oh well, the works bikes didn't have these decals either :)

Thankfully the race numbers went on beautifully once I had the backgrounds on.

I'm toying with the idea of creating a duplicate red-backgrounded number on thin styrene and having this on the ground as though the junior class roundel is in the process of being replaced by the senior one. Not sure if this is a goer since I think it'll be hard to make it self-explanatory, but I don't have an alternative atm.

As a reward for all this misery I tried out the hairspray technique on the little stand. That was fun, messy and rather more my kind of thing:

8612056507_1c52114a9c_c.jpg

I've also finished weathering the chain + sprocket, and made the replacement hex bolts for the swing arm, but I didn't take pictures of those. Should be able to put it all together tonight.

Oh yes, and since the tank decals were glossed over in my reference, I applied some Alclad Aqua Gloss - worked great on the handlebars, but has been a bit orange-peely on the tank. I think I sprayed from too far away - I've been painting the tank with rattle cans and I haven't adjusted properly :) Anyway, it's now sanded down (decals survived) and has had three more coats but will need to be re-polished.

Bah. It sounds like a tale of woe and it is a bit (stupid decals!) but it's also a lot of progress towards completion. Onwards!

W

Sorry to hear you're up against it for time - what I saw so far on your thread looked great - I can see that you don't have my decal fear :)

Nearly done now - got it all together (apart from the rear brake linkage) and it all fits. Although the Tamiya tubing is pretty naff - creased and such, plus some of the lengths didn't work that well so I've had to swap things around. I'll replace it all after the GB deadline I think. Especially the fuel line which should really be translucent.

8613416506_8835f24008_c.jpg

(click for bigger)

I fixed the sprocket after I saw this :) I don't know how it was possible to make models before digital photography...

Tomorrow should be polishing the tank, adding the last handful of bits and doing some more weathering. Plus photos I guess.

Cheers,

Will

Superb build Will - always loved the YZ line when I was putt-putting about on my FS1e many moons ago and that is just how I remember them

Thanks again all! I think I'm done:

8615822856_f5d017412f_b.jpg

(click for bigger)

Spent some time messing around in Photoshop, it's not perfect but it looks good in the thumbnail. My own 1:1 bike :D :D

Off to take some gallery pictures before the light dies.

Will

Didn't get the daylight, so I took these on the workbench. Not ideal as it's hard to get enough light onto such a big model, but you get the idea. I'm hoping I have time in the a.m. to take some gallery pics in natural light, but if not these'll do:

8616342930_0ea7dcd304_c.jpg

8615237431_d6872af465_c.jpg

8616343678_336323f8e0_c.jpg

8616343978_54e403c2d2_c.jpg

W

Cracking job Will, running close to the deadline but hey you managed to get her finished. Thanks for the great pics.

Colin

PS I'm getting closer......

Absolutely stunning! I wish that Tamiya had done more of these large scale bikes; seeing how they can come be made up from your thread of this bike, any of the MotoGP bikes would have been great!

Absolutely stunning! I wish that Tamiya had done more of these large scale bikes; seeing how they can come be made up from your thread of this bike, any of the MotoGP bikes would have been great!

oh hell yes...

Italeri do do a 1/6th RC 211 tho

Thanks again, I put some daylight pictures in the gallery this morning. This was a really satisfying build, not exactly easy or quick but the experience of it coming together at the end was magic. I'm definitely a convert to bike modelling, which is weird because I'd never really "got" the attraction it before, not being a biker.

I wanted to say how much I enjoyed this GB - awesome builds to be inspired by, lots of involvement and lots of tips, many thanks. Also thanks to Steve for egging me on when I was asking about these kits last year :)

Will

Edited by Will Vale

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, I saw that on there too :) I got mine in the sale at the end of last year for 3000 yen, so I'm still ahead :goodjob: I was really hoping they'd put some of the other big bikes in the sale, but no dice.

There's a nice build of this kit in a recent TMMI, in Yamaha yellow finish.