What is...what if?

Scratchbuilder

Personally I love Whiffing. But, as others have said, my whifs have to have a basis in reality. I often do a lot of research into the idea I have and make a whole back story to make it as believeable as I can. My favourite thing is to take a point in history which could have gone one way or the other and see where the other way takes me.

Some of mine....

Gloster Rapier. Using captured German Horten, combined with British engines.

DSCF0213.jpg

Hawker Siddely Typhoon F1. What if the P.1121 had been further developed and put into production?

DSCF0191.jpg

Vulcan B3. After the Falklands the Vulcan was kept in service and given a full update.

DSCF0080.jpg

Tomcat F1. What if the Navy bought them?

DSCF0075.jpg

Hawk TF3. With cutbacks the RAF are forced to used radar equipped Hawks as fighters.

DSCF0074.jpg

Actually its the other way round, the rivet counters can't comprehend What-if and see it as a waste of a good model or two and tend to bypass the What-if's for fear we may corrupt them :banghead:

Lol!! :lol: I can relate to that Geoff!!

I got a lot of comments on another modelling site from people commenting on my Boeing B-56 ( that's the converted B-47 in the photo!) Mostly along the lines of " don't understand why" or, " waste of a hard to find kit". Well, the B-56 was REAL ( albeit never leaving the drawing board) and it would have had 4 engines ( in single mounts) . Well, imagination is something of a modelling prerogative in my view & I think if people have to ask the question "why"?, then they will never understand the answer.

As Martiin also pointed out , this is a hobby. There is I think a line to be drawn between (a) a hobby and ( B) an obsession and, to my way of thinking there are far too many "modellers" who have lost sight of (a) and crossed that line.

One of my biggest sources of amusement ( and despair!) is the people who get all worked up into a frenzy over the most utterly trivial issues that, in many cases cannot even be SEEN unless one carries out a Bernard Spilsbury type forensic examination!! The pick of the bunch are the ones that start rubbishing a kit ( and, even in some cases making nit picking comments about the "inaccuracy" of the box art) BEFORE the kit ceases being a photo of a test shot and actually goes into production! F F S, it's ONLY A MODEL !!

:doh:

Allan

ps - I do actually enjoy "proper" modelling as well just in case anybody was wondering!

Edited by Albeback52

all beleivable :)

what if the f111 had major problems early on (i think that part is real!) and the tsr2 entered service?

the yanks needed a strike plane in vietnam but wernt at all sure if the f111 was up to the task.

which is better? theres only 1 way to find out FIGHT! (well an in service competition anyway lol)

2yv55jo.jpg

ri5awh.jpg

2mhj4p1.jpg

• Like 1

Lol!! :lol: I can relate to that Geoff!!

I got a lot of comments on another modelling site from people commenting on my Boeing B-56 ( that's the converted B-47 in the photo!) Mostly along the lines of " don't understand why" or, " waste of a hard to find kit". Well, the B-56 was REAL ( albeit never leaving the drawing board) and it would have had 4 engines ( in single mounts) . Well, imagination is something of a modelling prerogative in my view & I think if people have to ask the question "why"?, then they will never understand the answer.

As Martiin also pointed out , this is a hobby. There is I think a line to be drawn between (a) a hobby and ( B) an obsession and, to my way of thinking there are far too many "modellers" who have lost sight of (a) and crossed that line.

One of my biggest sources of amusement ( and despair!) is the people who get all worked up into a frenzy over the most utterly trivial issues that, in many cases cannot even be SEEN unless one carries out a Bernard Spilsbury type forensic examination!! The pick of the bunch are the ones that start rubbishing a kit ( and, even in some cases making nit picking comments about the "inaccuracy" of the box art) BEFORE the kit ceases being a photo of a test shot and actually goes into production! F F S, it's ONLY A MODEL !!

:doh:

Allan

ps - I do actually enjoy "proper" modelling as well just in case anybody was wondering!

Couldn't agree more with you....

I'm not really into building What if models, but must agree that it's a refreshing way of clearing my mind when I got stuck and loose interest about modelling, and that happens sometimes, despite my ever growing stash of "want to build" kits...

Whenever I build a What If, I like it to be somehow "believable", and not too far away from what could actually had happen....

What if is a whole lot of fun and a good exercise in imagination and resourcefulness. Some back stories that Whiffers write to back up their projects are fascinating in their own right. Here's a couple of mine.

Avia S-90 Hurikan:

2009_0427bubblecane0006.jpg
2009_0427bubblecane0007.jpg
2009_0427bubblecane0008.jpg
2009_0425bubblecane0007.jpg
2009_0425bubblecane0008.jpg

Fiat G.163 Cometa:

Komet_1.jpg
Komet_2.jpg
Komet_3.jpg

Edited by upnorth

As has already been said What-if can be anything from paper projects, such as the supersonic Supermarine Scimitar development,

011.jpg

to pure flights of fancy such as the Gloster Reaper,

reaper006.jpg

or could be as simple as a change of markings,

F15A007.jpg

Andrew

• Like 1

If Britmodeller had a roof, this would be a loony bin :) :)

OMG, "whatiffers" show like the bugs that run when you lift a stone :) :) :) :)

Really nice kits here....!!!!!

Edited by Artie

Great stuff there and as for the back stories in "support" of these flights of fancy, try reading about some of the better model railway layouts, based on what might have been. Parliamentary Acts that were passed, but never built, etc. Some of them actually have you wondering if you're reading a history book. You could almost be forgiven for going off in your car looking for evidence!

Martin

If Britmodeller had a roof, this would be a loony bin :) :)

OMG, "whatiffers" show like the bugs that run when you lift a stone :) :) :) :)

Really nice kits here....!!!!!

I think you'll find the correct term is " whiffers "

lol come to the dark side

we haz cookies

Yes. but people, BEWARE! They also have.................................................................

TWIGGLETS!

(Spawn of the devil!)

Great whiffs Guys, the TSR2 in Upper Heyford ( :weep: ) marks is a cracker.

Paul

Whatif Profiles:

http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/aircraft/fantasy_aircraft_start.html Imagine an SU-27 in Blue Angels livery.

http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/scifi/scifi_start.html Sci Fi Whatifs

Whatifs are fun, they allow you to stretch your imagination beyond the accepted/normal.

Oh how about a YF-23 in JASDF colours?

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=89934&view=findpost&p=1295879

Mr. Hobby has just released the "oceanic" paints..so you can do that awesome blue on blue.

Hopefully the 1/48th kit is good when it gets released.

Edited by Av8fan