Vehicles that go with your aircraft

Scratchbuilder

John,

treat those old MAP Model Cars drawings with great suspicion. Any drawn by Walkden Fisher are nonsense. Etienne Becker's are wonderful. Russell Black's and Malcolm Firth's are generally trustworthy. Roger Taylor's are iffy. And much less known is that the great Dennis Jenkinson did a series of drawings for the long lost Model Car News magazine in the 40s. Profile Publications normally got t pretty well right although their Lotus Elite is wrong at the back.

I always measured the real thing when I was doing brass masters as the value warranted it. Less so with the (low value) slot cars, although my XJ13 is done with Neville Swale's help and he is building the most accurate replica of the original car, not the silly current post-crash rebuild.

American O gauge is indeed 1/48th scale, but I don't like American cars!

Cheers,

Martin

Ah - forgot to say that Renwal did a whole collection of 1:48 scale cars. But I never saw one in real life. From some pictures on the net and the bay i think they are very well detailed for their age. Though I have no clue how accurate they really are. Prices seem to vary a lot depending on the type and buyer/seller of course...

I just had another idea of an interesting car-plane diorama: A Barnstomer! Like a Curtis Jenny and a... ehr... well car. ;-) Still it would be quite american :-(

Damn - I have a Lindberg Jenny and now also another stupid idea...

Well, the Renwall E-type definitely had the right overall shape, but it was a long time ago and I don't have it now, but I recall it being noticeably smaller than a 1/43rd one. It was a coupe, btw.

Martin

John,

treat those old MAP Model Cars drawings with great suspicion. Any drawn by Walkden Fisher are nonsense. Etienne Becker's are wonderful. Russell Black's and Malcolm Firth's are generally trustworthy. Roger Taylor's are iffy. And much less known is that the great Dennis Jenkinson did a series of drawings for the long lost Model Car News magazine in the 40s. Profile Publications normally got t pretty well right although their Lotus Elite is wrong at the back.

I always measured the real thing when I was doing brass masters as the value warranted it. Less so with the (low value) slot cars, although my XJ13 is done with Neville Swale's help and he is building the most accurate replica of the original car, not the silly current post-crash rebuild.

American O gauge is indeed 1/48th scale, but I don't like American cars!

Cheers,

Martin

Martin I was actually thinking of european cars as many found their way to North America. Most of the drawings in the early days seem to be by Marice Brett, harold Pratly and Dennis Jenkinson.

John

RAF Wittering 1975ish No 1 Sqn, My old LA255 and my car Two Spits in ones life.

John

TwoSpits.jpg

Ah, fond memeories! I had an identical Mk.III Spit in my youth! "J" reg (with hubcaps, but odd seats - I seem to remember that the driver's seat was from a 1500!)

Thanks for making me smile! :winkgrin:

All of whom did a generally good job, John. Harold Prattly was very well thought of. I'm not sure if I know any by Maurice Brett.

I'm not sure if I could risk the time on a master of a 1/48th scale car, except, maybe something simple like a Sprite or Healey 100.

Martin

Ah, fond memeories! I had an identical Mk.III Spit in my youth!

That's not a Mk.III, that's a... oh, you're talking about the car. :winkgrin:

In 48th don't forget Tamiya has a VW bug- you can't get much more representational "car" than that. And for us rivet-counters, it would be a great canvas for conversion- which gives me an aftermarket idea that I won't act on! Hmm, let's see, I'm trying to do a mid '56 Beetle, so I need to...

bob

p.s. Just remembered, we're in the "Interwar" category. Caerbannog, I've got a couple of '30s Fords in 32nd by Lindberg. I don't know where you're going to get a 32nd Jenny, but they'd go well with a Williams Bros racer, or a P-12 or P-26... or even as an old beater next to some poor Lieutenant's shiny new P-36.

Edited by gingerbob

Ownership of car types had no demarcations. Airfields I served on as a young airman in the early 60's were the haunt of interesting cars. I had at odd times a1935 Morris 2 seater, A 1934 Singer Le Mans, a 47 Sunbeam Talbot 80 drophead and an MG.PA. My brother had a 37 Talbot London. The Sqn Commander of 12 drove a 47 Vauxhall and one of our SAC's owned the most beautiful BRG Jaguar Mk.5 complete with fitted toolbox in the running board. There were of course all the usual tin boxes and my Corporals Chevrolet Streamliner. Lots of guys had motorbikes with more Ariel Arrows than you could shake a stick at and service fishtail Parkas were ideal scooter wear.

John

Somewhere in my loft is a 1/48th "kit" of a Mk1 Range Rover. I bought it about 25 years ago. It's snap together in a soft mustard coloured plastic with the body in two parts - the join running down the centre-line of the car. It says that it's 1/48 scale, but I've not checked it out (I would be interested to see if it was a rip-off of the Heller 1/43 scale Range Rover).

Anyway, I thought it would look good next to a Lightning.

Al

That's where they can be found for sure, but please be very careful with many of them. They are in the most part, poor in terms of accuracy. I do check when a car master request comes in, but, alas, I usually dismiss them.

However, the written stuff 's helpful. Wheelbase, Fr. and Rr. track, wheel and tyre sizes, etc. I can usually get somewhere with those.

Martin

Hi everyone,

I have been searching the web for yonks trying to find some plans of any description on 1950/1960 british lorries but it would seem to be more fruitfull looking for hens teeth. Anybody got any ideas as to where i could find some so that i could do some scratch building.

Ken

Sent, but not the ones I know I have somewhere, however I've mailed my source and asked for another set to be sent to me so I'll get them off to you as soon as I get them.

Cheers,

Martin

Hi everyone,

I have been searching the web for yonks trying to find some plans of any description on 1950/1960 british lorries but it would seem to be more fruitfull looking for hens teeth. Anybody got any ideas as to where i could find some so that i could do some scratch building.

Ken

Ken,

I have some lorry plans and other reference material useful for modelling. Let me know what you're looking for and I'll try to help.

Gordon McLaughlin

[email protected]

Ken,

I have some lorry plans and other reference material useful for modelling. Let me know what you're looking for and I'll try to help.

Gordon McLaughlin

[email protected]

Hi Gordon,

I am looking for plans/ 3view drawings of the 50 and 60 british lorries so that i can do some more scratch building. No particular one just from that era as with everything british nobody does any kits in 48th scale. If you want any very obscure german/american/japanese then no problem but british no chance. I have made a couple of lorries and i thoroughly enjoyed it so want to do some more.

Ken

Ken, any chance of some pictures of your lorry models?

Very interesting subject. I have some photos taken at shows if they'd be of any interest. Just PM if you'd like them.

Martin

Hi Martin,

I can only find 1 model at the moment so will try to upload some photos. Never done this before so hope i do it right.

8583047037_51fe7b8d1f_m.jpg 8584146394_f9607d67ee_m.jpg 8584145344_0708b0d11f_m.jpg

Can you guess the film?

I was half way through building this when a kit did come out, but as i was enjoying myself i decided to carry on scratching building it. I don't think it turned out too bad.

Ken

Edited by theflyer