Vehicles that go with your aircraft

Scratchbuilder

I was wondering.....most people put their model aircraft on some sort of a scenic base, often almost a set-piece (diorama).

So would you consider putting a model of the pilot's car by the aircraft? Something suitably sporty from any given era...a 3 wheel Morgan or cyclecar or maybe a motorbike/sidecar for the early years, some nice vintage Alvis 12/50 or Lagonda Rapide for the Golden Era kites. An MG TA or TD, Austin Healey for the post War to Cold War era. And a suitable figure to go with it and maybe even his dog?

And what about some nice printed card half relief backdrop buildings to complete the scene, like hangar fronts, control buildings, barracks and the like?

Any thoughts?

Martin

Hi Martin,

sounds like a good idea to me. There are a few vehicles available in 1/48 and 1/32 but I think they are all military versions.

I have planned to build a Revell MG TC in 1/24 to go with the Airfix Spitfire VB, also in my stash.

Would be good to have something in a smaller scale, not sure how widely popular this could be though.

Only replies will tell?

Regards,

Steve.

The model railroad people have extensive ranges of vehicles and buildings that could be used. The sports cars suggested though would most likely be found with the AAF (Auxiliary Air Force) squadrons as it was mostly those pilots who would have had the wherewithal to buy such expensive vehicles.

Steve, as you're a Triumph fan, the Gunze TR3a is a superb 24th model? Or the old Lindberg Mk2 GT6 with a little work is also a good one.

Christopher, in the day, those cars (except maybe the Lagonda) were not that expensive and pilots usually had smart cars.

It's only these days you need to be able to afford the aircraft to afford the car as well!

But you get the idea. There are no models in 48th scale, only 43rd which are way too big.

Martin

Remember incomes were significantly lower then. Pilots used to belong to the upper middle/upper classes but this was as I mentioned it was frequently the AAF they went to. You're more likely to find second hand cars or motorbikes (and that would be interesting) in ordinary RAF circles.

Scale Link are worth a look and not just for their vehicles but also their etched brass.

Edited by Christopher

Hi Martin,

I have built a couple of the Gunze TR series and found them quite enjoyable. The Lindberg GT6 is a different matter altogether, I have a couple of examples of that kit and it will take a lot of work to make anything looking like a GT6+. In any case I will modify it slightly to represent a MkII GT6 (UK spec) Converting to RHD may not be a big issue and I have a real Mk III in the garage which has a very similar dash.

I got the MG TC (midget) as it sits at around the correct timeline for the Spit. The early MG's were very similar looking with the major differences being improvements to the engine and drive train.

I also have a set of South Eastern Finecast wheels and tyres to improve the look of it. TV and film seem to suggest that many Flying Officers drove or had access to such vehicles and that is what I am basing my 'scene' on.

Really feeling enthusiastic about actually building this now I have spoken of it publicly lol.

Steve.

• Like 1

I'd go for some good vehicles.

I have a painting that has a Hurricane with pilots on wooden chairs, a dog or two and a lovely MG in it. I'd love to try to recreate that in 1/32 or 1/48.

My other bug bear is that lack of airfield equipment, especially for World War 2 era Allied Aircraft. I'd love a starter cart to go with the 1/32 Spitfire IX I have.

J.

I'm building a Hurricane for one of my flying buddies (his grandfathers) and have acquired a Matchbox MG TC to go with it (converted to TA) - just trying to get confirmation of the colour of grandfathers MG).

Iain

Ah, well, there we are. Some interest in this idea. I could have a lotus Elite )50's one) out quite quickly to go with late 50's/early 60's jets in 1/32nd scale, or an Austin Healey Sprite/MG Midget, same scale for the lower ranks.

Car values dropped rapidly after a year or so and HP was becoming normal after the War, so any of the cars I mentioned would have been affordable, especially true vintage cars by the start of the War, although rationing would have precluded their use during the War. But just after the War the old cars would have been used again.

It wouldn't take me long to knock up an Austin 7 Special along the lines of a Cambridge Special Sports, considering I have a real one I'm restoring!

I think 1/48th scale is the one to go for as there are no model cars in that scale currently

As to airfield equipment, I'm surprised to learn there aren't any! I would have thought they'd have been very well covered already, but once again, would not be too much trouble to do. I've already done masters of things like Auxiliary Fire Service vehicles in 1/48th for a company called Fire Brigade Models.

And what about the background buildings?

Cheers,

Martin

I'd go for some good vehicles.

I have a painting that has a Hurricane with pilots on wooden chairs, a dog or two and a lovely MG in it. I'd love to try to recreate that in 1/32 or 1/48. ...

J.

I believe that Airfix have (had?) an MG K3 1933 in 1:32 scale?

Kind regards,

Joachim

Joachim,

Airfix did have an MG K3, but it would be a very wealthy pilot ineed who could afford one! Only 33 were made and all for competition. Not saying one or two didn't escape to private road-going ownership, but it would be pushing credibility a bit!

A PA or PB Midget would be a more likely MG.

Another very likely car for a pilot would be an Austin 7 Nippy or Ulster That would be a possible from mid thirties to late fifties.

Martin

If you're looking at the larger scales then the Matchbox 1/32 classic cars series will also provide some options. Even so the cars depicted; Jaguar SS100, Aston Martin Ulster, MG TC, Mercedes SSKL, Citroen 11 Legere are at the higher end of the price range. Something for the AAF perhaps?

This is a very interesting topic as I often like to add that little extra to my a/c models and a car is a good way to do it. I have just finshed my Avia S-199 in the Messerschmitt GB and have since added a Gaz jeep and a couple of figures to it..

001_1067x800_zps2893a53c.jpg

002_1067x800_zps2d7a4519.jpg

I used the Tamiya 1/48 Gaz and it is a wonderfull kit.

Smudge

Whilst an Aston Martin Ulster and an SS 100 were expensive in their day, by the early fifties they were dirt cheap. I had a friend who bought sensibly after the War two Bugattis, two Bentleys and an E.R.A. for exactly £10 a litre each! He was trainee country solicitor at the time.

Martin

From reading numerous biographies, the regular full time RAF aircrew [not the AAF] would buy a car between them. As it spent most of the time on the airfield it was rarely taxed. Popular cars were Morris 8, Ford ten, Vauxhall, occasionally an Austin, a Ruby or Big Seven. Individual pilots sometimes bought motorcycles, often the more racey types, [right now I can't name them]. Hire purchase was available since the late 1880s but pilots were superstitious about taking on the payments. During the 1920s and 30s motorcycles and cars were available on H.P. A motorcycle typically cost between £50 and £100. Cars started at about £150 up to £250, for the smaller sporty types.

The types of cars I've mentioned are available in railway scale for 1/72 scale. Some are available in 1/48 in white metal but are rarer than rocking horse poo. Some of the vehicles and motorcycles are available in 1/24th. In 1/32 its mostly the more exotic/racey types available but Fords are reasonably easy to get. Gowland and Gowland did quite a few cars in 1/32 which would suit if you can find them.

F.

Railway scales are 1/76th and 1/43rd popularly. Gauge 1 is 1/32nd

You might want to cheat by using a 1/43rd model in the foreground, but they are a bit big.

Pilots would be able to afford second hand cars of a type more suitable to their fast boy image as values dropped considerably after a couple of years. And post War the preWar cars were very cheap.

Motorcycles were always pretty cheap, but this question of values is very indistinct dependent upon whether the vehicles were bought second hand, new, HP, rich family, etc. I don't think anyone really wants to go into that. My question was merely to find out if anyone would or even had included a car with their aircraft.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

To illustrate what I had in mind, I found this in Lewis's dense tome, British Racing and Record Breaking Aircraft.

And what do you know? I mentioned Austin Seven Specials and here is a Hamblin Cadet, albeit on a Ford 1172 chassis (a popular option in Specials days). Note the wheels.

This is a diorama that just HAS to be made! I love Golden Era aircraft and Specials. I have no choice!!

IMG_zps4e077562.jpg

Edited to say this is, of course, a Hamblin Cadet, not a Speedex...sorry!

Martin

Edited by Scratchbuilder

Aaargh!! No, John. That's too 'orrible an end.

I have, however found some more evidence of cars and aeroplanes when looking, as ever, for something else. R.J.Mitchell with his Riley Lynx (I think) and a rather nice Aston International with a few Spitfires.

And to confirm an earlier poster's comments, the Aston was indeed with an Auxiliary Air Force group<G>

I wonder what Peter Twiss drove.

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by Scratchbuilder

Have a look and Google up "Scale Model Scenery". They do card buildings and runway in 1/72 and 1/48. I haven't tried them yet but they look good. I guess you could get away with 1/43 cars with a 1/48 aircraft. Cararama do a good range of 1/72 cars and Oxford Die Cast do an even bigger range in OO, 1/76 including things like a Standard Vanguard in RAF markings (76SV004) and a BOAC Reliant Regal Supervan, RAF and RN David Brown tractor, RAF Green Godess, RAF desert Matador, RAF Bedford MWD, RN Bedford OWB bus,RAF and BOAC Scammall Pioneer Recover.