Iwata Eclispe HP-BS Airbrush from Air-craft.net

Julien

Iwata Eclispe HP-BS Airbrush
From Air-craft.net

iw%201.JPG

Iwata describe the Eclipse series of airbrushes as Multi-purpose, high-paint flow, high detail professional airbrushes. For use in applying moderate to large amounts of paint to a variety of surfaces,and to various sized areas. The HP-BS is a gravity fed airbrush featuring a 0.35mm needle / nozzle combination with a 1/16oz sized cup. The improved funnel design of this cup makes for a more efficient paint flow, and easier cleaning. This reviewer is fairly new to airbrushing in proportion to the length of time I have been building models, and I have been a brush painter for the majority of my modelling career, considering airbrushing one of the dark arts! I have David Pennington ex of SBX models for getting me into airbrushing as he said it would improve my models, he was not wrong and this is my public thank you to David for this.

I normally use the HP-CS with its large 1/3oz sized cup, so wondered why you would want the HP-BS, as it looked like the same airbrush with a smaller cup. In fact as well as a smaller cup the HP-BS is about 10mm shorter than the HP-CS.

iw%204.JPG

Now these differences do not seem a lot, however it makes the HP-BS seem a lot more light and nimble in your hands, great for painting smaller and more intricate details. I also like the smaller cup as it means I mix (and waste) less paint when doing smaller jobs.

The airbrush arrives in a sturdy card box in a foam bed to protect it during transit.

iw%203.JPG

The build quality of looks very good indeed with them being made in Japan, that's pretty much guaranteed. The HP-BS is a standard 0.3mm nozzle and needle, with many of the parts looking like they are common across the range, which will help keep the cost of replacement of consumables down should you happen to need any.

iw%202.JPG

Conclusion
I really do like this airbrush. I would recommend it for a second brush which is how I am using it, as is very good for painting smaller areas, and doing work which requires a bit more dexterity than its larger cousin. It should be noted there is no lid for the smaller cup, but then I don't use the lid on the larger brush, so its not an issue for me. You might want to get one if you're prone to spilling paint on your models.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
logo.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A samll update on this airbrush.

I have been using it on and off and find myself reaching for it if I know it can hold the paint for a job as its easier to move in my hand.

I also find it saves me paint, as even for small jobs I was putting too much paint in my other airbrush.

Julien