De Havilland Vampire T.11 - 1:72 Airfix

Paul A H

Ok, here's a question, were there any external changes to the twin seat Vampires (beyond the drop tanks) during their lifetime?

I want to do a mid-50s 602 aircraft, then a late 60s School of Air Traffic Control (A lttle theme I have going, and in Light Aircraft Grey, so no metallic!), then maybe a T22......

Edited by Dave Fleming

The early T.11's had the barred canopy and the NF.10 fins. Some T.ll's were flown with the early canopy and the later fins. A type that will cause confusion is the NF(T).10 which had a late T.ll type canopy and the early fins. Not all T.lls had the Rebecca Mk.4 aerials on to of the wings.

John

Edited by John Aero

The early T.11's had the barred canopy and the NF.10 fins. Some T.ll's were flown with the early canopy and the later fins. A type that will cause confusion is the NF(T).10 which had a late T.ll type canopy and the early fins. Not all T.lls had the Rebecca Mk.4 aerials on to of the wings.

John

Thanks John, I forgot about the early canopy. I think that least one early one had a camouflage scheme. Check serials is the watchword on the T11/NF(T) 10!

Hi everybody

I do not care about the engraving or number of rivets of the model . This I can do or correct myself .

For me the most important thing I have to know before buying a kit ( cheap or not ) is " Are the SHAPE and dimensions " accurate ?, cause if these are off , there is nothing we can do about it , without real hard working.

As for the details , it is up to the modeler's wish to add them or not .

So , my question is simple , "Can you please tell me if this kit is good in shape and scale".E.G. Are the booms , fins , air intakes and nose-canopy O.K.?

I do not have that much serious doc / scale plans about this aircraft.

I suppose that some Brit gentlemen modelers and T.11 lovers here on this site will have this material.

Thanks to Airfix for releasing this kit.

Madcop :)

Mine arrived today. After examining the kit parts I started to read this thread again. Then I read about the sink marks. I hadn't noticed them on the parts so I hurried back to have a look. I found 'em. Eventually... took a bit of searching, I can tell you. The one on the port wing is slightly deeper. I'm not convinced that it would be worth the time and effort even trying to fix the one on the starboard wing. Things may change after a coat of filler, but I honestly can't see them taking more than about ten minutes to fix.

The panel lines are slightly deeper than on the Airfix Spitfire XIX which also arrived today. However, given my style of modelling and the amount of primer and filler I end up slathering on, then that's not actually a bad thing. :D

I like this kit! And I'll freely admit to being an Airfix fanboy! :lol:

Hi Steve.

Those two Vampires are not T11's - the main external difference being the pylon for the drop tanks. The T11's drop tanks were a completely different design, as shown on the Airfix model. I think these aircraft are either ex-Swiss T55's or maybe ex-Australian T35's?

Vampire Fan you are correct they are both ex-swiss T55s made up to represent a RNZAF T.11 and a RAAF T.35 Vampire with Oz tail codes and very wrong kiwi roundels, so work that one out??? :banghead:

DSC_9756_zps8979b05a.jpg

• Like 1

A review sample rocked up today at HQ, and I had to have a look inside after all the kerfuffle. What a nice looking kit! :clap2: I'm not a 1:72 builder, but this is one of those kits that is severe temptation, despite its size. The detail is excellent, and panel lines restrained, while those two sink marks are eminently fixable, and are the only two on the whole model. A crackin' little model, and if appreciating a good tooling from Airfix makes me a fan boy, then so what? ;)

• Like 3

...and if appreciating a good tooling from Airfix makes me a fan boy, then so what? ;)

Fan boy :bleh:

Seriously though, sausage fingers here (me, that is) normally works in 48th and larger, but the subject and what looks like a nice, very reasonably-priced kit, means more than one of these will be gracing the shelves at Laidlaw Acres

Mine arrived today. After examining the kit parts I started to read this thread again. Then I read about the sink marks. I hadn't noticed them on the parts so I hurried back to have a look. I found 'em. Eventually... took a bit of searching, I can tell you. The one on the port wing is slightly deeper. I'm not convinced that it would be worth the time and effort even trying to fix the one on the starboard wing. Things may change after a coat of filler, but I honestly can't see them taking more than about ten minutes to fix.

The panel lines are slightly deeper than on the Airfix Spitfire XIX which also arrived today. However, given my style of modelling and the amount of primer and filler I end up slathering on, then that's not actually a bad thing. :D

I like this kit! And I'll freely admit to being an Airfix fanboy! :lol:

I had one arrive from Airfix yesterday (also with a PR.XIX and a Fury) and I have to agree. It's a lovely looking kit and the sink marks are barely noticeable. I had to hold it up to the light, with it rotated at a certain angle to actually see it. I've seen and fixed much worse on much more expensive stuff in the past.

• Like 1

I managed to get my mitts on one of these kits the other day. First impressions are that its a cracking little kit, absolutely gorgeous.....however, all this nonsense about the panel lines......They are too deep! You only have to look at the pic's of the made up models at the various shows to see that. Compare that to the artwork on the box (thats if commenting on artwork on boxes isn't forbidden nowadays!) or (heaven forbid) photo's of the real aircraft! Accept it - and move on!! Camera flash my aristotle!

The panel lines are similar to most of Airfix's recent issues. I can't see any difference in these than say their Harrier GR9 (which I'm tinkering about with at the moment)..

This isn't a problem for me though. Particularly in this case - if using yellow or Dayglo, you will need a good white base coat. I'll no doubt use Halford's white. Spray, leave to dry sand smooth, spray again leave to dry and sand down again. The panel lines will have reduced in depth greatly. For a kit with more refined panel lines - then I would NOT use Halford's!

Now in this instance it may be of benefit having deep panel lines - given the need for a good solid base coat, whether deep panel lines generally are acceptable in other kits is another can o'worms. I'm hopeful that by the time the Harriers and Lightning are produced the panels will be more acceptable...but I'm not too confident - I hope I'm wrong - I really do!!. As bad as the Trumpeter Lightning kit is the panel lines aren't that awful! Still - Deep Panel lines is what primer and Mr surfacer are for.................

• Like 1

Bill, try using a light pink as a basecoat for the yellow. Sounds strange I know, but it does work.

And advice for anyone using the superglue and baking soda trick - cease immediately! It goes micey over time and seeps a horrid brown liquid goo that has a chemical reaction with paint. And it comes through Halfords primer too. You have been warned.

• Like 1

And advice for anyone using the superglue and baking soda trick - cease immediately! It goes micey over time and seeps a horrid brown liquid goo that has a chemical reaction with paint. And it comes through Halfords primer too. You have been warned.

Ew. Thanks for the tip :).

Hello, got mine today from my local model shop and it looks great to me.

Had a bit of a spree this week as I also got the 1/72 Spit 1/11a and the Mustang, and also ordered the Mr Hobby Metalcolor range of acrylics to try for the silver finishes. I do not have an airbrush, and I have read on here that they are excellent for brush painting. This Vampire (or Mustang) will be the test-bed.

I have no complaints whatsoever about the kit, box, artwork or transfers, and I reckon Airfix are doing a brilliant job of enticing us out of lots of money!

Keep up the good work Airfix, just give us a Defiant!

All the best, Ray

I'm intrigued because I've never had this happen! How long did it take for yours to start reacting? Edited by Jonathan Mock

I'm intrigued because I've never had this happen! How long did it take for yours to start reacting?

It has happened every time I used that method. It's about the color of maple syrup, perhaps slightly thicker and smells strongly vinegar-like. It shows up in about 5-6 months time and ruins everything it touches.

Got my two today and it looks a great little kit and hope to make a start sooner than later. Also Mr Hannants mentioned on Hyperscale that there are a couple of decal sheets coming out for the T.11 as well which should sell more kits.

One other thing was there any magazine articles that showed profiles of the aircraft in different squadron markings like there used to be SAM.

Robert

Edited by Robert

Got my two today and it looks a great little kit and hope to make a start sooner than later. Also Mr Hannants mentioned on Hyperscale that there are a couple of decal sheets coming out for the T.11 as well which should sell more kits.

One other thing was there any magazine articles that showed profiles of the aircraft in different squadron markings ike there used to be SAM.

Robert

There's some in the Warpaint book on the Vampire, 14, 19, 43, 45, 56, 63 (mis-captioned as 62) and 219 Sqn's.

Wez

Edited by Wez

I picked this model up for £7.99 at Modelzone on Tuesday and hope to start building this weekend. For the money it is a bargain and I am so glad Airfix are now producing an impressive range of kits that a few years ago would have been a dream.

It is a great time to be a plastic modeller I think.......

:goodjob: Shuttle

Edited by Shuttle

An £8 kit.....And two small sinkmarks were an issue?

What would you get from Tamiya for that price.....Mebbe a couple of pots of paint or some masking tape?

Get a grip people!

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead
  • Like 1