Saab 39 test

song

Looking at this...

DSCF0391_--iacutebrvbar-iacute_zps707c16

more eye candy

And comparing with these...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden---Air/Saab-JAS-39C-Gripen/2220015/L/&sid=b22395734431266fee3ab88048f0d038

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden---Air/Saab-JAS-39C-Gripen/2220179/L/&sid=b22395734431266fee3ab88048f0d038

The air intake looks too big and spoils the look of the model to me. The nose wheels too appear to be too large in diameter. Does it have a full engine that you glue inside the fuselage as well?

Jens

Edited by jenshb
  • Like 2

The top of the intake angles down on the real thing as does the fitting for the canard, these appear straight on the model. I think this is what's causing the intake to look to big.

Julien

The top of the intake angles down on the real thing as does the fitting for the canard, these appear straight on the model. I think this is what's causing the intake to look to big.

Julien

I agree, Julien.

The line on the fuselage is covered by the intake on the model... It should angle more!

The two are connected. Slope the top of the intake down, and it will be smaller. The main problem seems to be the top of the intake rather than the bottom.

In any case, we are too late for tooling changes...I'm beginning to think the Italeri kit isn't that bad - and cheaper.

Jens

DSCF0386_--iacutebrvbar-iacute_zps865d9c

pix

Glen

Mouth-watering Glen, very nice! I think the look of the intakes will improve drastically once the canopy is in place because the canopy sill will add to the depth above the intake. Still a stunning effort, can't wait for it. Please tell me you included this scheme on the decals:

Gripen_zpscf4b5fc8.jpg

First of all, THANK YOU Kittyhawk and Mr. Song for taking on this subject!! I personally love the Gripen.

However, one thing that seems to be amiss with the kit is the attitude of the airplane.. If you look at the picture of the South African jet above, you'll see that she has a straight to a very slight nose down attitude. The test shot (as well as the Italeri, Revell and all other kits of the Gripen) have a nose up attitude that in my opinion destroys the general impression of the aircraft. It's quite easy to fix as a modeller, but it would be nice to get it right straight from the box..

Dear Mr. Song, if you're using Facebook, please feel free to join the group Saab 39 Gripen (http://www.facebook.com/groups/saab39gripen/). The members of that group can probably help you with any additional references you may need.

By the way, is this a test shot using the actual moulds or is it a 3D print out of the CAD drawings?

Yes, the intake looks a bit strange. It is simple, one has to measure the real intake dimensions and its level difference from the canopy.

The kit looks good (there is no perfect kit) and it is certainly far better looking based on the available photos than the Itaileri was, even though the Czech rivet counters have already attacked it as "completely wrong". Why don't they ask Eduard to do a kit of it . . . I am sure they will be happy with it, no matter what inaccuracies Eduard builds into it. :winkgrin::D

But seriously, sad to see that the chaff/flare dispensers are not included on the right top of the fuselage. Yee, I know it would be easy to do them, after all this is what modeling is about . . .

Best regards

Gabor

hi Guys

this is a test shot, we may still make changes

Glen

2012030612505.jpg

I look forward to seeing them. If you guys are seriously interested in feedback to make corrections, then could I propose that you share images of a stereolitography model of the CAD surface model after the CAD model is released? That way you won't have to make expensive tooling changes if someone points out errors that will be expensive to retool to correct.

Jens