Harley FXSTB Bad Boy

Natter

Thank you to all for the kind comments.

Will - I did the bolts with a small brush, gave me a splitting headache. Masking and spraying really was too far above and beyond....

Jorgen - I think you may be right, I will go without the heat bandage.

Krow- This is definitely not a 'shake and bake' Tamigawa kit, but I am enjoying it.

So, what of today then. Considering I had a day off work there doesn;t seem to be much progress, but what you see is glued together now, not just dry assemb;ed like last night. Because it was designed to be a snap-together it had taken some minor adjustment to make it go together as a standard glued kit. This has been a two steps forward, one step back experience. I keep having 'ideas' as I make it. If your Harley had a single seat, flat bars and a straight through zorst would you leave the standard filter on. Nope, you'd stick on a great big K&N like this:

1aright_zps42787fb7.jpg

At the moment it is just blu-tacked on so I can take it off to paint it. I made a couple of plastic discs and then rolled a thin plastic card cone. I laid lengths of micro-strip on the cone and there you go. The induction tube looks a bit weedy, so I may need to replace that.:

1bfilter_zpsfb45e101.jpg

1dfilterclose2_zpsf9755afd.jpg

1cfilterclose_zpsc8fe0836.jpg

The forks are glued on as are the front springs and the light. The flat bars are done and the ignition sorted - I painted the moulded cable with Xtracrylix trainer yellow. The ignition cover needed masking and Alclad; oh the joy of cleaning the airbrush after Alclad. The stand was actually moulded closed with the plate, but I removed it, drilled the plate, strengthened the stand with stiff wire, and adjusted it so it sat right when it was open; voila.

1eleft_zpsadd151e1.jpg

1fignition_zpsda4251d3.jpg

I didn't see the the bits on the primary drive cover until I saw the pics, but they'll come off with a bit of tape.

Back to work tomorrow, and I have a couple of late nights coming up so this may be it until the weekend.

Oh pants. I always dread the home stretch of a build, things always go wrong. I had done the handlebar cables and just had time tonight to try and get the decals on. The bodywork was glossed with Windsor and Newton Galleria acrylic gloss, and the decal solution reacted with it. Even plain water marked the varnish, rats.

tankscratches_zps1acdb120.jpg

The scratches are from my very, very gentle attempts to clear off the decal solution (micro set) using plain water. I have added the rest of the decals and now have to try and gloss over them to restore what was a very nice finish. The decals were rubbish, as you can see from the close up; brittle, poor register and too small for the model. Well, they're on now and they're staying!

In the pic below the model is just put together dry to give you an idea of how it should look when it is about done:

side_zps5b58d2c2.jpg

I used my dremel to grind the milliput I used to shape the back of the seat so it sits on the rear mudguard (fender) properly. Unfortunately everything in the craft room is now covered in a fine white dust! I will leave it for now and dry dust it tomorrow if I get the chance. Speaking of the rear mudguard, it looks too high.

Update - I can't sleep so I have had a play around and the rear end sits much better now. Once the dust in the room has been cleaned up and it has settled again I will try some Klear to re-gloss the bodywork. I hope it works.

Edited by Natter

Bummer about the decals . Some could be made from artwork. The tank should have chrome/enameled 'cloisonne' (?) raised badges any way. The bottom edge of the front of the rear fender should be tight on the frame top.

Yer getting there!

Krow (Steve), thanks for the notes. I have managed to drop the rear fender a little but the sub frame supports (?) along the sides are now the limiting factor. I would have to remodel these and the fender to drop it any more. It isn't perfect, but it is better. You are right about the tank badges too, they should be chrome/enamel metal badges. I don't have any decent vector drawing programmes and no decal film so all may have to stay as it is and lessons be learned for the next build.

May I ask for a piece of advice please? There is no clear piece for the speedo lens. I have never used the stuff before, so would micro krystal klear work as a lens?

Cheers in advance.

Shave the bottom of the fender if possible , the fender struts should be even with the underside curve of the fender.

Yes the KK will work as a lens , mix it thoroughly to medium heavy consistency , and lay in layers ,not too much and build it up slowly a little at a time, work the first layer into all the nooks ,make sure to let each layer dry , keep the speedo level as well.

Personally I would dispense with the decals if they drag the build down.

Edited by krow113

Almost there.............

Sorry Krow, I kept the decals - but the H-D badge has been re-made to look a little better. The number plate is made up, for a '96 model. The air cleaner cover is just tacked on at the moment while the K&N is being painted. The bodywork has been re-glossed with Klear but nothing has been cleaned up yet so there is still a little dust to clean off and touch ups to do. The slashed piped need Alclad and K&N need sorting, then that should be it.

aleftside_zpsa01425f3.jpg

arightside_zpsae3569bb.jpg

(The mirror isn't fixed yet, and I didn't notice it had swivelled until I saw the pics)

arear_zpsbd3140a4.jpg

Getting close........

Ladies and Gentlemen, many thanks to all of you who have followed and commented. You have kept me going on those, mercifully few, occasions when I was ready to consign this to the shelf of doom and start something else. She's done.

The box art on Revell's offering of the old Monogram tooling looks like this:

BadBoy01_zps087338f5.jpg

My rendition looks like this:

xb-20130430_Bad_Boy_complete037_zps28eda

More pics to go in the Gallery

That came together real nice in the end, and your modifications really suits and improves the look of the bike. Great number plate! I thought the air filter looked a bit bulky at first, but once it is all now painted up it blended in nicely. Well done.