Argentine Skyhawk bombloads

dfqweofekwpeweiop4

Another imminent build I'm planning is Airfix's recent Skyhawk in 1/72, done as the Argentine version.

Now I know there's some errors with the drop tanks and that replacement bits are available but this build is strictly OOB plus whatever spare weapons I have.

I have access to the Hasegawa weapon sets plus spares from other kits like Mk 82 bombs.

With all that in mind, what were the typical bombloads used by Argentine Skyhawks during the Falklands war?

thanks

Mike

That includes drop tanks as well or any other ordnance.

Edited by Mikemx

Another imminent build I'm planning is Airfix's recent Skyhawk in 1/72, done as the Argentine version.

Now I know there's some errors with the drop tanks and that replacement bits are available but this build is strictly OOB plus whatever spare weapons I have.

I have access to the Hasegawa weapon sets plus spares from other kits like Mk 82 bombs.

With all that in mind, what were the typical bombloads used by Argentine Skyhawks during the Falklands war?

thanks

Mike

That includes drop tanks as well or any other ordnance.

Mike, you need to specify which A-4 you're doing: a FAA A-4B or A-4C, or an Armada A-4B, and even then there was some variation. The naval A-4Bs were pretty well standardised on US Mk82 bombs in a triple or quadruple load AFAIK, while the air force 'planes used some British bombs (I think) and certainly the Spanish EXPAL... I have a bit of information, but say what you're building - and there are some guys on the board who are in Argentina, and they tend to have the greatest expertise.

Tony

• Like 1

A-4P Skyhawk, Grupo 5 de Caza, Fuerza Aerea Argentina, Rio Gallegos, April 1982. The no on the side of the plane is C-240.

In other words the option in the kit. I'm not trying to represent any specific attack or anything, as I've no idea what attack(s) this plane was involved in. Really just want some info about what to stick on each pylon. If it carried different loads in different attacks then I have some choice!

thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

I recommend you check for the Freightdogs conversion I just received those for the A-4C (this one allows you to finish a B and a C planes at the same time) and IAI Dagger so Argentinan AF (FAA in spanish) and they are beautifull all in wonderfull 1/72 scale

Best modeling

Armando

Hi Armando

Yeah I know that set, I have their set for the Spitfire 22. The point of the build is to keep the cost down as the model will be auctioned off at some point, hence OOB (mostly). That set does have the bombload I was going to settle on, as in fuel tanks on the wings and 3 500lb Mk82's on the centre, I just need a spare TER as I'll use the kit parts and spare Mk 82's I have.

Did they use normal Mk 82's or the Snakeye versions? I have both spare.

thanks

Mike

Typical loadout was 2 x 450 gallon tanks on the inboard wing pylons, centerline TER with 3 x 500lb bombs, or the standard centerline pylon with 1 x 1000lb bomb, you need to check photographic references for the yellow markings carried.

C-240 is on display in Bueno Aires, possibly why Airfix chose this aircraft. here is a link http://www.airliners.net/photo/Argentina---Air/Douglas-A-4P-Skyhawk/0496536/L/

The A-4P C-240 started life as Bu. 142855 and arrived in the last batch entering service in April 1970. After a excellent service log, recording no less than 10 sorties, resulting - as the markings on the plane show- in the attack to the HMS Ardent (25-05-82), the HMS Argonaut (21-05-82) and the HMS Antelope (23-05-82). Although there is some confusion about who really sunk the Ardent and whether the C-240 actually took part in it or not, since a few of my references also show C-204 as the author of the attack in the hands of Cptn. Carballo. The attack to the HMS Argonaut came from the hands of Tte. Aurtiero. In the same mission Tte. Filippini collided with the superstructure of the Ardent with his wing tanks, as he relates on the DIOS Y LOS HALCONES book.

John

Edited by kidcurrie42

Hi there

Well I assumed you talking about the A-4C FAA (Fuerza Aerea Argentina or Argentinan Air Force) if so configuration for the Bombola (Mk117 with british 1000 pounder tail) attached to the TER, other option is to pút the 3 bombs 500 pounders but EXPAL (a Spanish firm called Explosivos Alaveses SA) really different from the US MK slick bombs these aircraft also with 4 underwing + 1 center fuselage weapons pylons. But they also used american bombs at the end but dont know the configuration

Normal A-4B FAA these aircraft also with 2 underwing (used for fuel tanks) + 1 center fuselage weapons pylons

A-4Q (A-4B) from CANA (Comando de Aviacion Naval Argentina or Argentinan Naval Aviation Comand) used the US Mk slick bombs also with snakeye tails these aircraft also with 4 underwing + 1 center fuselage weapons pylons

Best regards

Armando

Edited by RAGATIGER

C-240 is on display in Bueno Aires, possibly why Airfix chose this aircraft. here is a link http://www.airliners.net/photo/Argentina---Air/Douglas-A-4P-Skyhawk/0496536/L/

Thanks for posting that link. There are several points of interest:

1. The patches Airfix have moulded halfway down the fuselage ahead of the little air intake are correct for this aircraft. And possibly this aircraft alone?

2. This aircraft retained the red leading edge slat recesses. Some aircraft did, others didn't.

3 . The pale blue undersides colour extends onto the undercarriage leg and the inside of the nosewheel door, whereas the Airfix instructions suggest white. Or has the aircraft been repainted since entering preservation?

According to the Freightdog instructions C240 was flown on 21 May 1982 on a raid on ships in San Carlos Water, during which HMS Argonaut was hit by 2 bombs. The aircraft's bombload during this mission was a single Mar 17 bomb (as provided in the Freghtdog set) carried on the centre pylon.

There are some differences between that displayed aircraft and period photos C-240 in the Falklands, notably the black number C-240 on the nose is now missing which, combined with the uniform flat finish and other variations, suggests that the aircraft was touched up or even totally repainted post-1982.

FWIW, I have a print here that shows C-240 with drops tanks on both wings and centreline TER with 500lb bombs.

According to the Freightdog instructions C240 was flown on 21 May 1982 on a raid on ships in San Carlos Water, during which HMS Argonaut was hit by 2 bombs. The aircraft's bombload during this mission was a single Mar 17 bomb (as provided in the Freghtdog set) carried on the centre pylon.

Is that what the single larger bomb is supposed to be in the Airfix kit?

thanks

Mike

• 9 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Thanks for this thread.  It helps me a lot for the current SkyHawk STGB.  I think I'll use the big bomb in the middle, the two drop tanks on either side and the Snake Eye's on the outer pylons.  I think that's a possible payload.

On 1/27/2013 at 7:15 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

You pretty much need to get down to not only what service and what specific type of A-4, but you need to specify what mission on what day.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Finn said:

Since this thread has been dusted off, here is something that may be of help:

https://aquellasarmasdeguerra.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/bombas-en-la-guerra-de-malvinas/

Jari

Love the way that they are obsessed with "Mk 17" bombs on this site, The assumption is that as the Argentinian AF used British Mk 17 bombs every British 1000lb bomb was a Mk 17! In fact The bombs that were used  by the carrier aircraft  were probably  Mk's 18 or 20. The ones dropped by Vulcans were probably all Mk9. Certainly when I was involved with de stocking Waddington on Vulcan retirement there were only Mk 9's there.  In fact its pretty academic as externally all marks of UK 1000lb looked exactly the same anyway.

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Love the way that they are obsessed with "Mk 17" bombs on this site, The assumption is that as the Argentinian AF used British Mk 17 bombs every British 1000lb bomb was a Mk 17! In fact The bombs that were used  by the carrier aircraft  were probably  Mk's 18 or 20. The ones dropped by Vulcans were probably all Mk9. Certainly when I was involved with de stocking Waddington on Vulcan retirement there were only Mk 9's there.  In fact its pretty academic as externally all marks of UK 1000lb looked exactly the same anyway.

Selwyn

Hi Selwyn

I always appreciate you candor when talking about the British aircraft ordenance, as a simple modeller guy my only practical kwonleage of any ordenance is the way plastic look, you just simplified the lecture they all look the same externally...... Anyway

Regards

Armando