Powered N scale Union Pacific GE U30C diesel Locomotive

Rishi

Hi,

This Locomotive is a ebay purchase. Its a analog electric powered.Minitrix Germany make. Originally in Santa Fe red/ silver with 389 road no.

I decided to make a Union pacific with road no 2819. Since Union pacific GE U30C road nos are from 2810 to 2959.

The original colors

santafe_zps073a7a0d.jpg

Paint stripped in brake fluid and i made new side railings with a 0.60mm brass wire. Brass wire is very good as it is less deformed while bending and soldering. I added a 3mm ultra bright LED with 470 ohm resistor for reverse lighting.

DSCN1180_zps21fc5190.jpg

The paints are not exact UP armour yellow and mist harbour grey. I made my own mix from Tamiya acrylics. Its hard to find hobby colors here in Dubai.

Armour yellow = X8 lemon 6ml+ 7-8 drops X6 orange+1/2 drop X4 Royal blue.

Mist Harbour grey = Light grey XF66 + German grey XF63. The dark color been added in drops.

DSCN1185_zps29530d69.jpg

With the Tamiya clear gloss the grey looked very dark. Microscale decal sheet for GE Dash 9-44cw used. Again a final clear coat mix of Tamiya Clear X22 and Flat base X21 ratio 1:1 tone down the grey and yellow.

DSCN1188_zpsf1e301d7.jpg

DSCN1187_zps60b79a6f.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments friend. I have collected seconds Hoppers, Gondolas, Refrigrated vans, Passenger cars and caboose. Tracks are the only thing I am short now.

I had to remove the reverse LED to make the shell fit onto chassis. But it was a good idea as LED is a Diode which was in reverse power polarity. The below pic is show the lamps and road no plates.

DSCN1190_zps260cbf0c.jpg

Here is the complete model with side rails and saftey amber becon. The becon is made from clear amber spure. I did some weathering with chalk pastels and washes. Hope they are not over done.

DSCN1192_zps6945cd16.jpg

DSCN1193_zps8b73b8d8.jpg

DSCN1204_zpsb9470ca6.jpg

Here the mile long train, hope to add more in future with a dummy loco.

DSCN1205_zps3ae58a83.jpg

More Pics are in ready for inspection.

Good day.

• Like 2

Really nice work. The weathering looks spot on to me.

I have a work colleague that builds railway layouts and his weathering skills are to die for.

Thanks for the tip on the brass rod. I have a couple of old Airfix static loco kits to build and wanted to replace the side rails. Your replacement rails look just right.

Regards, Steve

looks great, nice work.

Very nice, see there trains here in Texas all the time.

Really nice work. The weathering looks spot on to me.

I have a work colleague that builds railway layouts and his weathering skills are to die for.

Thanks for the tip on the brass rod. I have a couple of old Airfix static loco kits to build and wanted to replace the side rails. Your replacement rails look just right.

Regards, Steve

Thanks Guys you like the model.

Steve there are Handrail Stantions (Photo-Etched Metal) that can be used with brass wire at Walthers.com. I have only seen pics on search results.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/304-16032

Regards,

Rishi

Edited by Rishi

• 3 months later...