Wingnut Wings LVG C.VI

gishuk

WOW! :yikes:

I have only just caught this build, lovely lovely work!

Do so much want to build WnW model, am now thinking the only thing stopping me is time.

Am taking notes on the build, especially to follow the build instructions, a bad habit as I don't follow them too often either.

Will watch the build with interest. :popcorn:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys and the photos melvyn. I wanted to do the red cooling fins on the engine but it was just too awkward to paint them after the engine was built so I had to just do them in black unfortunately.

Ive now finished the fuselage though, with the lozenge decals on the tail being the last bit. Had a few issues with the lozenge decals but it looks pretty good now. The wings themselves should be easier with there being less curves involved. Thats all the easy stuff done now though, its all struts, rigging and mass lozenge decaling from now on :hypnotised:

003-32_zpsf9e71cc6.jpg

004-17_zps9431664a.jpg

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Almost a year since I last updated this :oops:

Lost my modelling mojo somewhat and didnt touch this for a while but in the last few weeks ive been cracking on and making an effort to get it finished off. Today I got the wings mounted to the fuselage after many tedious hours applying lozenge decals. This wasnt without its issues, I managed to snap a strut in half by applying too much pressure, taking out the centre section of the upper wing in the process but luckily it didnt do any real damage.

I also realised while looking at it with the wings on that I had totally forgotten about the crosses on the wings :tapedshut: Should be able to apply the upper wing ones without any major issues, but the ones under the lower wing are a different story, not sure how im going to deal with that problem or if ill just leave them off.

Still, looks ok.

Rigging next, the actual hard bit.

007_zps19952338.jpg

010_zps3361eb81.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

thanks guys.

Ive added the crosses to the upper and lower wings that I forgot to add before attaching the wings to the fuselage. Applying the lower wing ones was a bit dicey but managed to get them to settle down without breaking anything.

Since thats done I started the rigging. Im using turnbuckles and tubes from Bob's Buckles and Ez Line for the rigging wire itself. You can see how tiny they are in the first photo, but while being time consuming and delicate to work with, it hasnt actually been as hard as I thought it would be.

Bloody awful photos, but you can see how its looking. Five wires down, seventeen to go, and then control lines. :banghead:

001_zps436e1eb0.jpg

005_zpsede14f79.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful build.

I have been tempted with Wing nut Wings for a long while now but just cant comprehend how you get the rigging to look that good! :hypnotised:

The thought of it scares me to hell :yikes:

One day I will pluck up the courage!!

thanks guys :thumbsup:

I had run out of turnbuckles so it took a few days longer to order more from Bobs Buckles, but today I got the main rigging finished. Still have the control lines to do, but im really happy with how this is looking, and while time consuming for sure, I am somewhat surprised by how non-difficult ( I wont go as far as to say easy) it was to do.

DSC_9116_zps4ffb5165.jpg

DSC_9115_zpsd9405384.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks Bob. The buckles were really good to work with and really look the part when done.

Almost finished now. Striped the prop and then put oils over the top in a woodgrain pattern to get a two tone laminate effect without looking like a boiled sweet, all the control lines and control surfices are attached. All thats left to do is a couple of bits of detail painting on the observers machine gun and the prop. Been a (very) slow build, but its looking worth the effort now.

007_zps75c546e4.jpg

006_zpse5951d25.jpg

005_zps67d3535b.jpg

• Like 2