Panther Ausf D, 1.Pz.Rgt.24, France 1944

Today's work on the Panther. First I cut some masks for the tactical numbers, then sprayed the turret sides

P1010122_zps83c92c4c.jpg

P1010123_zpsfa88c769.jpg

Then a pin wash with Shadow Brown

P1010124_zpscfd68101.jpg

Painted the Exhausts - first tamiya brown, then while that was still drying Old Rust / Normal Rust and Light rust pigments with a final little bit of soot black, then matt varnish over the top

P1010125_zps3c68eba2.jpg

Then Streaking grime over the sides and skirts

P1010126_zpsfaa8e0e5.jpg

Added dust, oil stains and fuel stains to the rear decking

P1010127_zpsdc0a5afc.jpg

Finally for the day matt varnish over the top, and some rust streaks for the skirts

P1010128_zps9abbce03.jpg

P1010129_zpsec14ad0b.jpg

Tomorrow - Tools and Mud and Dust

Peter

Edited by Peter Marshall
  • Like 1

No Mish, the kit doesn't have any spare road wheels.

I'm waiting for some resin ones to arrive, as the road wheels on the turret are a distinctive feature of the 24th Regt anyway - they've been in the post from Poland for a week now so should arrive soon (hopefully before the weekend).

Peter

No worries Mish, I know nothing about the 24th Regt before this build - they appear to have been something of a band of gypsies. They *should* have been part of the 24th cavalry division, but were detached most of the time and operated as an in dependant regiment most of the time, so had their own way of doing things (hence the spare road wheels on the turret, the rod carrier on the back, and non standard cammo).

More info is available here

http://worldwartwozone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27175-pzrgt24-panther-idiosynchrasies/

Peter

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another smashing Panther in a cool scheme.....I'm gonna have to get some of these Vallejo paints, their red-brown colour in particular looks really good to me (some manufacturer's versions look much too orange).