RAF 1/48 Hasegawa Sabre F4 or "Have you been KUTA by a Christmas Song?"

Fatcawthorne

Hello all,

Not sure if I've followed all the GB protocols but please forgive this stupid newbie!!!

This build started early in 2012, but got constructed, 90% painted (Vallejo on top, Airfix underneath), then the Carpet Beastie struck. The port airbrake had disappeared and I scraped a big chunk of the port wingtip's paintwork after dropping it whilst hunting for it. 

I looked everywhere; I spent so long on my knees that my brain thought I must've got that pay-rise or overdraft by now but to no avail.

So off to the shelf of doom it went to join the 1/48 Lanc needing red and black wing stripes (thankfully now acquired), the 1/48 Tamiya Beau MkIIF conversion needing new spinners as it was an old CMK set and the spinners must be for the 1/32 kit or something (they will send me replacements but I have to buy something else and the Fly JP is always out of stock when nice Mr Santander Manager will say yes to such extravagances!) and the ProModeller/Heritage Castrated Lightning conversion that's waiting for the Kits at War decals to show their ugly mugs on EvilBay. 

I do love Chuck Berry but for some reason (is it 50 years since its release so it's royalty free he asks cynically?) Run Rudolf Run seemed to be every other song on Radio 2 this December.

Now when we get to the bit where the little girl replies, "I want a little baby doll that can cry, scream and wet, And away went Rudolph a whizzing like a Sabre jet" then a little pang of guilt would poke at my insides.

So missing it's airbrake it got dusted down. It's canopy got painted, the wingtip got mended, a coat of Klear and on went the decals.  Now I bought 2 or 3 lots of AM decals for this build, but are they appropriate for Hasegawa's fenced wing? - are they monkeys!!!!  The kit decals it is and I'm a sucker for 112 Sqn sharkmouths (Yum-Yum planes as my younger sis used to call them when I terrorised her with Airfix 1/72 Kittyhawks as a young lad); it was a no contest. 

Now having picked up a stalled build I forgot I hadn't painted the jet exhaust area in burnt steel. We gaily masked off the bits to be airbrushed, the paint went on no problems and then off came the Tamiya tape.  Problems - as the Tamiya tape came off, so did the decals!  And to add insult to injury, where I had held the bobby under the nose whilst painting, the 112 Sqn sharkmouth came off too.

The next job to finish this is to speak nicely to Mr Amerang to see if he has any spare decals he can send me.  Any tips out there as I've not dealt with Amerang before?

DSC_0129_zpsa2c523f9.jpg

DSC_0130_zpsf84e6b1b.jpg

DSC_0132_zps602d635c.jpg

DSC_0131_zps674706d1.jpg

So let's hope I can get the decals in time for the GB finish, then it's a bit of post-shading and weathering, a coat of satin varnish and on with the un-masked canopy and Robert's your Aunty's Live in Lover!!!

Comments welcome as always.

Chris the Non Rivet Counter

Ps, having seen my replacement gunsight in the post's preview pane, it looks so thick it could work for my local council (other councils may be clever- mine aren't - period - bitter experience talking which is another story for another day!). I will be replacing that with clear thin sheet as I know the original (which had been rescued once already from the carpet monster) has been flung off to oblivion by mistake by SWMBO who picked up the jam-jar lid it was in on Christmas Day whilst tidying for Crimbo dinner.

BTW, the missing airbrake turned up a couple of days ago and is living happily on my modelling desk and is delighted to be reunited with its partner. 

Edited by Fatcawthorne

Have just spoken to Simon at Amerang and he's going to trawl the depths of their discontinued decals for me.  However he doesn't hold out much hope as it's a 2006 vintage kit.

I don't suppose anyone has any of these decals anywhere if they've done the other OOB option that they would be happy to share so as I can finish this baby? 

Yours hopefully

Chris

Unfortunately "Simon Says" is not my favourite game today as Simon Says No!  :weep:

Does anyone have any pointers as to where I can get my hands on a set , or part set, of these decals (or who I can ask)?

Thanks for your help, Chris