what to do to convert seahawk mk100 to fga6?

Guest squezzer

Guest squezzer

Hi guys and happy new year!

I would like to know what are the tasks to complete to convert a Hawker Seahawk mk100 into a RN FGA6? Do you have some références drawing that show the difference of the vertical tail plane somewhere on the net ?

I have the Trumpeter boxing of the mk100 (1/72) and it is a very nice little kit!

Thx

The major difference is the fin, the Mk100 has a taller one as seen in this picture:

http://www.abpic.co.uk/popup.php?q=1340940

Whilst the FGA.6 has the far more graceful and elegant original, shorter fin as seen in this pic:

http://www.abpic.co.uk/popup.php?q=1276988

There were other differences, FAA Sea Hawks never carried Sidewinder, I think Mk100's could, also the Mk100's had a large teardrop antenna fairing on the spine which the FGA.6 didn't.

There were a few other differences but the fin is the major one, you may be lucky and find somebody with a shorter fin left over from an old airfix kit which featured both types of fin, otherwise you've got some judicious cutting and sanding to be done.

Wez

Edited by Wez

Plan the same trick with a Hobbyboss Mk.100 by cutting down the fin and removing the spine hump. There are plenty decal sheets available for marking options :D

Before you get happy with the knife, it may be worth mentioning that Sea Hawk FGA.6 XE456 was the Armstrong Whitworth test aircraft for both the tall tail fin and the podded Ekco 38B radar. It was painted in extra dark sea grey and sky with the high demarcation line, with the radar pod on the starboard inner pylon, but lacked the UHF bulge on the upper fuselage.

Do what I'm going to do, sell it & by the correct kit. I bought the wrong one off ebay & didn't realise till it turned up what I'd done. I can't be pfaffed cutting & shutting such a nice kit, I'll take a small loss & buy the FGA.6 kit.

Steve

• 4 years later...
On 19/01/2013 at 9:18 PM, T7 Models said:

Before you get happy with the knife, it may be worth mentioning that Sea Hawk FGA.6 XE456 was the Armstrong Whitworth test aircraft for both the tall tail fin and the podded Ekco 38B radar. It was painted in extra dark sea grey and sky with the high demarcation line, with the radar pod on the starboard inner pylon, but lacked the UHF bulge on the upper fuselage.

Bit of thread resurrection, but do you have a source for a photo of that one?

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2013 at 11:35, Jonathan Mock said:

Or build both and have a matching pair, get more mileage out of an aftermarket sheet!

There's a plan! You can never have too many Seahawks!

Martian

• Like 1