Scratching out a Sherpa rebuilding the pictures I HOPE

perdu

No pictures yet I just cannt be ars*d with the uploading thing to night

Sherpa is repainted, new decals printed and varnished for use and the mojo is fairly good too

so good I keep looking at the broken Midget clutch wondering if I should be playing with that instead)

Added a picture of her masked up for painting

sherpabuildAugust10004_zps827ced71.jpg

Pictures soon, just thought I would let you know that we are back

Props are painted and decalled too, blimey what a palaver, wish I'd painted the white tip markings rather than cutting out decal sheet strips and messing with Microset and Microsol, quel blague...

Bill

more better stuff tomorrow

Edited by perdu

Not a lot better ... but here are the props ready to have the tips touched in with Tamiya White

sherpabuildAugust10031_zps2b604e2f.jpg

The Hartzell decals and anti abrasion tapes are fitted and the white stripes were cut from a generic white decal sheet, to be topped off later

The wing scribing has begun and here is the Tamiya tape setting out where to mark the flaps

sherpabuildAugust10033_zps7bd9567f.jpg

A lot of the upper marking has been done by taping the straight edges where the knife blade was to run vertically to keep then grooves tidy

You can see the horrible green that resulted for yesterday's airbrushing, so that is for a repaint againsherpabuildAugust10039_zpscd737a9f.jpg

The roof top walkways have been scribed and drawn in place with a UNIpin fine line writer, I'd be tempted to use the pen instead of decals on lots of this model. The fuel filler rings are made out of Letraset Os from the old WHSmith sets

sherpabuildAugust10043_zps6d917033.jpg

I will be off to mask and repaint the lighter green later

:)

B

Chris Bowley didn't draw the 360 IIRC but Granger did (published in 1/96 scale). Wouldn't you know it, I've just found a load of mouldings and decals for our old Sherpa in the store container which I thought were long gone.

John

• Like 1

Great stuff Bill, like everyone else can't wait to see it finished, (your sentiments too I'm guessing ! :whistle: ).......someone recently described the Sherpa as a 'flying Winnebago'...not very kind but sort of accurate, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' as Lady M regularly tries to reassure me following a shopping sojourn to the cosmetics department at B&Q.....

Chris Bowley didn't draw the 360 IIRC but Granger did (published in 1/96 scale). Wouldn't you know it, I've just found a load of mouldings and decals for our old Sherpa in the store container which I thought were long gone.

John

BBBBbugerit John

I reckon I would have had one of those off you if they'd been around :(

I did a 1/72 drawing of both the 330 and the 360 back in the eighties, I was planning to do the 360 and the Sherpa/330 as a set but gave up the game soon after finishing my old Sherpa

I would still love a 360 to make a set, might get on with modifying Chris's drawings to include the 360 late this year...

General I'm kind of ambivalent about this,it has been around so long I don't know if I want the thing finished or not ;)

I'm fixing surface blemishes induced by my own bad practices at the moment :(

Spraying the final green mix tomorrow

Soon be done though, then the usual "what to do next" question

Edited by perdu

Well chaps, this one is on the "Been there, quite liked it, not there any more" category

Here's the model with her decals on and partially detailed, dashing up to the finishing post

Remove before flight tags attached to all the engine covers and prop tie downs added as per my old Fairford 1985 photos, still a little more to do by now but all painted and matt varnsihed and aerials fitted, the wire aerial seen here buggering me about.

sherpabuildAugust19001_zps8e9cded2.jpg

RBFs and tie backs seen in awful close up :(

sherpabuildAugust19007_zpsf7f7d657.jpg

The recalcitrant aerial thread has been replaced here with a length of stretched sprue, still not as easy as it was thirty years ago...

Wonder why? :(

sherpabuildAugust19010_zpsdbf9f66d.jpg

The wire is on now and looks fine

I'm only showing this one because I like the composition :)

sherpabuildAugust19012_zps3230aa39.jpg

Yup self indulgence abounds now

Time to finish detailing (Have you seen what was missing yet?)

Weathering the paint subtly was the aim, pretty poor shot at it really but as it is only pastel dust I can go back to clean paint if I dont like it tomorrow

sherpabuildAugust19015_zps28461146.jpg

Can you see what wasn't on before?

You got it, wipers and RBFs for the pitot heads

NOW

If you can see anything you don't like let me know tonight, a'cos she's going up for inspection tomorrow ;)

Last look before RFI

sherpabuildAugust19020_zps6125aea3.jpg

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3

Good to see it finished.

Looks great.

You're a braver man than I. Never mind scratch building, tackling the Aeroclub examples in my stash gives me the fear!

It's how to do the windows for the 330, and 360 (conversions) being the big issue.

..and how to do the air ecosse colour scheme.

• Like 1

Good to see it finished.

Looks great.

You're a braver man than I. Never mind scratch building, tackling the Aeroclub examples in my stash gives me the fear!

It's how to do the windows for the 330, and 360 (conversions) being the big issue.

..and how to do the air ecosse colour scheme.

Too kind

I think if I ever get my mitts on an Aeroclub one I will try to let in panels of clear plastic all along and the mask the windows at painting time. For this one I used Kristal Kleer for the two small port side ones, but for a long run of similar ones I don't think I'd like the look of it.

Painting a civilian one would be one of the "bonus items" for me, the 330 looks great in civvy guise. 360 too

bill

Too kind

I think if I ever get my mitts on an Aeroclub one I will try to let in panels of clear plastic all along and the mask the windows at painting time. For this one I used Kristal Kleer for the two small port side ones, but for a long run of similar ones I don't think I'd like the look of it.

Painting a civilian one would be one of the "bonus items" for me, the 330 looks great in civvy guise. 360 too

bill

Yeah, I've thought clear panels might be a good solution. Either that or moulding new fuselage halves.

May be possible to make window masks with a vinyl cutter, which is the other problem. Wish they'd made them round!

Someday I'll get around to it.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Just popping this back in for a sec'

Two guys I spoke to at Huddersfield were enquiring about the unusual/odd colour scheme I used for it

I didnt get your names guys but here is the Paints Used List

Gunship Grey  for this I used Humbrol Authentic Ocean Grey HB3

Medium Green I used a mix of XF5 and XF26 for 34102

The Darkest Green got XF13 Black Green

The picture is of the reference board with paint going onto the model

sherpabuild02_July_018.jpg

• Like 2

MTFireflyer might enjoy some of this

Part repaired already, blimey it's a long dreary job

Must have been like that for you chaps when I did it, sozz

I will be closing it in the next couple of days I hope