TESTORS JADE GRENADE

krow113

Got that Mark , Wayne Thanks as well.

We'll real time it today ,show tomorrow , I have confidence I can get through it without mishap.

Small details start with some work on a throttle cable and gas line to the carb , from RB Motion .011" and .015 " braided line.

IMG_5608_zpsa5b9d1cb.jpg

IMG_5604_zps89e752e1.jpg

Toothpick to pin the model and allow curvature in the throttle cable.

Ongoing today ,stay tuned!

Oil lines:

IMG_5612_zpsbf96122a.jpg

Edited by krow113

Thanks Mark.

On going details on the right side include, oil lines , cables , air cleaner. The rear exhaust was a bit of a challenge , had to make three of them to get it right. The pipe is of brass wire shaped and the covered with HiroBoy 1.95 mm 'simulated corrugated ducting' , I was gonna dry brush with a metallizer but it looks like the 'pipe wrap' every one is pasting all over their bikes nowadays.

IMG_5617_zps0c7132a8.jpg

IMG_5616_zpsba1f13f4.jpg

LUNCH!

The windshield was an area I was dreading , turned out ok though , careful shaping of the clear part allowed minimul cyano to be used. I cut an arc from chrome vinyl to cover the mess, er , I mean the precision adhesive application.

IMG_5644_zps85cb9c64.jpg

What a finish, that's looking really nice. :thumbsup2: At the beginning of the assembly I thought the engine looked quite small when it came into the frame, but that effect is not as prominent now that it's fully assembled. Nicely added details. Hoping to hear about success in tomorrows show.

Jorgy , Dave - Thank you.

Second place showing out of 2 bikes , the other was a decent effort but no where near as challenging or complicated as my rendition of Testors Jade Grenade:

IMG_5663_zps41fb3da2.jpg

My main trouble was the lack of clarity in the headlight lense. I think the use of Kristal Klear was a good idea ,however the inconsistent drying and clarity worked against me. Researching this I found a phenomenon that is slightly concerning in that the bottle I just got from a LHS may have been 3-4 years old! Hobby shops have this in stock but there is no expiry date, the last bottle I returned because it was hard in the bottle. I then found out many proprietors will add drop of water once a year to keep the stuff liquid.

The fix will be to pick out the lense , and cleanup the recess, mask the perimeter edge and press in some clear silicone, my second choice , third would be to cut a thin acetate lens , which , thinking about it , would be a good second, if the lens dont work I can go to silicone.

I have a set of masks and other goodies for this kit if anyone has any interest ,send me a pm.

Check the GB Gallery for final close=up shots.

Thanks to all for comments and interest , I see the thread has a good strong view count something I like to see.

Edited by krow113

Entering models in contests can be a mixed bag. The sponsor of the motorcycle category entered the other model. He took first place , make of that what you will. General consensus on site was that I was robbed.

Still I'm happy with my effort and the finished model. There is three of these Harley kits from JF ,I just ordered the third -

'Tiki Termite':

http://www.jimmyflintstonestudios.com/viewitem.php?productid=4

Thanks for watching and here is a selection of some of my motorcycle models:

cright3.jpg

580.jpg

726.jpg

fin1.jpg

final4.jpg

The wheels on the Harley are a bit special though. How have you laced them?

Um,... properly?

Thanks Dave . Seriously, I try to do things as simply as possible , using readily available materials ,with the exception of an unhealthy addiction to a/m goodies!

I f you look at the last pic of the Bobber '47 display you will see the wheels take shape in the upper left of the pic panel. I cast the hubs and rims , used a Harley manual lacing procedure and laced them up on the top of a spray can lid. Brass wire for spokes. I did an article on the procedure as well as the usual pics.

Here you can see the top of the spray can lid , the white plastic to space the hub/rim and the .019 brass spokes. Toothpicks to align and 25 minutes per wheel.

flace6_zpsbc70c7b9.jpg

Thanks Dave ,its not so tough, lotta math. And the pattern has to look right as well, thats why the manufacturers manual is needed.

I did document the procedure and I made a set of jigs and tools for the work as well.

Here is an adjustable jig for drilling the spoke holes at the right angle , it will take any wheel and angles are adjustable:

IMG_5213_zps08f421e5.jpg

The wheel shown is for a Top Fuel Harley Hillclimber in 1/8 scale.

Edited by krow113

• 4 weeks later...

Earlier on there was mention of the three kits in this Testors/Jimmy Flintstone collaborative series. I have 2 of them , the Jade Grenade seen here , Cadaclism , and the Tiki Termite. Here is the Tiki Termite:

IMG_5685_zpsd9ebfdd2.jpg

I ordered this from JF ,for $35.00 CDN he sent me the kit:

IMG_5681_zpsfda43f00.jpg

IMG_5687_zps7f16409e.jpg

...with 2 sets of p/e:

IMG_5694_zps9d4fe6ea.jpg

...and pretty much 2 of everything else in white metal:

IMG_5690_zps3dc3248c.jpg

...and (!) these two Tiki Heads which are resin and about 2" tall.

IMG_5680_zps8b0e8421.jpg

Absolutely one of the best transactions I have ever participated in .

Well done Jimmy!