New Tool Tamiya Yamato 1/350 + Flyhawk

Jockster

Hiya folks, I'm not starting this build until the POW is finished but as with most of us, I couldn't help but have a wee play with some of the bits to see what they looked like and this post at the moment is only pointer for anyone else that is building her.

I built one of the 18" gun turrets to see how the Flyhawk barrels looked and a noticed that if you are using aftermarked barrels then you will need to fix the polycaps inside the breech halves with some superglue or something when you start your assembly. The plastic kit barrels are long enough to be glued inside the breech end piece (part no.A24) thus securing the barrel and blastbag firmly against the outside of the turret. The Flyhawk brass barrel and perhaps other aftermarket barrels are slighly shorter at the breech end and the tiny bit of back and forth play in the polycaps will prevent the brass barrel and blastbag from pushing completely home.

Just a heads up folks. Unless I spot anything else I won't be adding to this post for a few months yet.

Regards,

Jockster.

• Like 1

Like I said Houston, it will be a few months before I start posting on this one, I intend building some bits from time to time while working on my Prince of Wales but no serious start just yet. There is an AWFUL lot of drilling to be done for the railing posts, judging by the Tamiya railing set about 1400 post holes. Credit to Tamiya though, there are marked drilling points everywhere so that you don't have to measure all the positions...whew. I have been taking sections of kit to work with me and a pin vice with a 0.3mm drill bit. I thought I'd get a head start by doing the drilling during my breaks at work. 237 done 1163? to go, and that doesn't include the normal drilling for gun positions and portholes etc.!

If I can take care of that stuff just now, when I start the build, I hope to be able to post quickly and regularly.

At the moment I'm just looking out for things that are advanced warning for others who may start  this kit before I do.

P.s. It is an awesome kit and so is the Flyhawk set to go with it!

Regards,

Jockster.

• Like 1

I've got this kit and have made a start on it, although it's definitely in the "long-term project" pile. I've completed one of the main turrets using Tamiya's own replacement turned metal gun barrels and they are direct replacements for the kit parts so they fit perfectly without any problems. The handrails also look great, but take a lot of patience to assemble and fit simply because they are so small.

Hi Bobski, I've actually started mine too and with the main turrets as well, I was surprised at how much time I've spent on these three turrets. The Flyhawk etch has the grab rails around the outside of the turrets as well as the main railings so that's going to be interesting. I'm going to paint the turrets this weekend and add the finer details afterwards with hopefully some pics too. I also hope to post pics of the Tamiya plastic/etch crane and the flyhawk brass crane in a couple of comparison shots. If you are up for it, do you fancy a joint post here?, it's going to be a long build so two of us should make it interesting for our fellow modelers.

Regards,

Jockster.

Hopefully some pictures for you!!

DSC_0030_zps0aa61df3.jpg

One part of the Flyhawk set.

DSC_0031_zps7d427cd3.jpg

Sorry guys, the rest will have to follow later, photobucket is acting up.

The above picture is of 17 frets of etched brass from the Flyhawk deluxe detail set. The second picture will eventually show the wood deck, gun barrels and resin parts.

Edited by Jockster
  • Like 1

The main turrets at a stage ready for painting, the handrails and ladders etc. will go on after they are painted.

DSC_0036_zpsfc9c8641.jpg

DSC_0038_zpsc6465126.jpg

Not too sure how I will have the gun angles yet!

DSC_0040_zps523b12c5.jpg

Hard to believe that there are 50 pieces, so far, in each of these, plus there are another 20 pieces I haven't used, 12 internal breach and rangefinder parts and 8 barbette parts for each turret that wouldn't be seen unless I was making cutaway sections.

They have been fun to build, but there are still many bits still to attach.

Jockster.

• Like 2

It's not often I thnk that some etch companies go too far, but in this case they have. I could understand if it was for the old tool, but the new tool really doesn't need that much alternative detail. It's masochism for modellers.

Yeah Dave, there is an awful lot there but I can see that they haven't just copied the Tamiya stuff, you still have to use the Tamiya blast bag baskets, and the big grill on the underside of the turret, the intakes on the underside of the hull and there are a few parts that have been duplicated where I may go with either set. It will be interesting to see what's left over at the end of the build!!

Flyhawk have included etched railings in the normal way AND the railing stanchions just like the Tamiya set, the Tamy set has more styles of post though and is a nicer set so that's the one I'll be using.

There is definately going to be a lot of stuff for the spares box at the end of this one.

Jockster.

Edited by Jockster

Nice start Jockster mate, with all that you will be busy.

I have to agree with Dave on this one.

Haveing built the older Tamiya Yamato with PE and all in(cost then £60 quid),paid £45 for the kit.

Still some stuff left over, the price now :locked: .

Watching this with Interest. :coolio:

Edited by foxy

Hi Bobski, I've actually started mine too and with the main turrets as well, I was surprised at how much time I've spent on these three turrets. The Flyhawk etch has the grab rails around the outside of the turrets as well as the main railings so that's going to be interesting. I'm going to paint the turrets this weekend and add the finer details afterwards with hopefully some pics too. I also hope to post pics of the Tamiya plastic/etch crane and the flyhawk brass crane in a couple of comparison shots. If you are up for it, do you fancy a joint post here?, it's going to be a long build so two of us should make it interesting for our fellow modelers.

Regards,

Jockster.

The only extras I got for mine over and above the Tamiya sets was a wooden deck (can't remember the make off the top of my head) as I felt that between the kit and the three sets I had pretty much everything covered. I am tempted to get the Eduard handrails as the Tamiya set is very fiddly, but I'll see how I get on.

I'm happy to post my updates in here, although they're not very frequent as I tend to do a little bit and then put her down to do something else.

I would say that comprehensive PE sets like that are to suit your personal preference.

I'm pretty sure that I have never used every last component of a PE set on any model - if Flyhawk give you enough to cover any eventuality, I look at it as more for the IJN spares box and might save you money in the long run!

Personal choice and bank balance are the key.

I agree if you build more IJN ships of that scale it is a saveing.

Have found that some parts can be used for other projects.

Earlier most PE frets did enuff for one ship but the cost has to also be taken into account.

By adding more to a ship kit the price has to go up and that does not make sense if you cannot use the left overs.

Or wish to make another ship thats from a different Navy.

• 2 months later...

Hi gents, I've had a few setbacks with this build, nothing to do with the kit itself as it is as close to the most perfect kit I have ever laid my hands on, but with paint and my airbrush set up in the shape of a broken regulator! However I have been building all the sub assemblies and preparing for paint in the meantime.

I took the leap into Alclad II and have just finished my first use.....
YAMATO014_zps1925fd36.jpg
Hopefully you are now looking at 4 Yamato props primed with Halfords grey, base-coated gloss black and finished with the thinnest coat of paint (Alclad II polished Brass) I have ever sprayed. Compare this with the Prince of Wales prop which is Humbrol Brass over same grey primer.

If the picture is there you will understand why I now have 4 PoW props soaking in a jar of brake fluid!

Sorry about my photographic abilities, it's a little blurry due to the magnification and perhaps a slightly shaky hand!
Jockster.

It worked, thanks to Mikes post in FAQs, :goodjob: Mike!

In that case......

YAMATO010_zps40a60876.jpg

Dryfitting some of the main sub-assemblies so that I can get a picture in my head of just how much of the Flyhawk stuff I want to use. I have not had a single fit problem anywhere so far and I seriously doubt I ever will! I needed a little bit of superglue to fill the slightly sunken edges of the door detail panel at the rear of the main turrets and in the join between bow and main hull and nowhere else so far!

This is a beautifull kit and I was slightly intimidated by it to begin with but it didn't take long for the enjoyment to take over completely. I am starting to use the etched parts more now and again the Flyhawk set has been tailored (as far as I can find so far) exactly to the bits of kit they are supposed to. Pics of that to follow later.

YAMATO009_zpsdd0e2e97.jpg

There were more pics I wanted to post but having seen them on screen here I have decided to retake them perhaps this weekend.

Thanks for tuning in, Jockster.

Looking good. I've just about finished the hull of mine. The lighting isn't brilliant, but nevertheless here's a couple of photos taken by another member when I took her to a recent club meeting:

dscf3678.jpg?w=525&h=295

dscf3677.jpg?w=525&h=295

Props were done with Alclad, although I used Gold rather than polished brass as I thought it looked better. I can't remember who did the wooden deck (d'oh) but I got it from Hobbylink Japan it was a perfect fit over the top of the kit parts. I'm now working on gradually building up the detail on the superstructure and adding the turrets.

• Like 2

Already there Foxy mate, you have to start at the top and bottom and work towards the middle to get everything lined up right and I've already had to restart twice. But that said, Fly hawk platforms and ladders fold easily and well and look nice. It has taken me a little while because I'm doing 12hour+ days at work so I haven't had much hobby time lately. The only enjoyment I've had model wise lately is watching your builds and maybe the top six on the forum then beddy byes.

You are a very impressive modeller Foxy, more power to your arm.

Thanks. The grey paint is Tamiya XF-75, IJN Grey (Kure Arsenal) and the red is Halfords' red oxide primer. The next key thing for me is to apply a wash to highlight some of the detail on the forward and aft deck areas, and then start working on the superstructure.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...