MH 1521 Broussard in 1/72 - was there ever one?

canberraman

To my knowledge, the Broussard was only ever done in paper in 1/72:

http://ecardmodels.com/holste-broussard-mh1521-paper-model-p-1754.html

There was a 1/48 multimedia kit of it done by Ardpol some years back, I'm not sure about it's current availability.

Addendum:

A bit more looking turned up reference to a 1/72 kit credited to an outfit called Graphy Air. I can't find any pictures of it though.

Edited by upnorth

It seems there was once and it's very rare.  If my French hasn't totally failed me it was by Graphy Air.

See here:

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t44245-broussard

David

Model Art Decals Sheet No 72043 MH1521M&C Broussard. They did their own resin kit No 008. wwwmodartdec.com

• 3 months later...

I picked up a 1/72 Graphy Air Max Holste Broussard some years ago at an estate sale and was very fortunate to find it; I know how rare that kit is. A friend of mine has been asking me for that kit for some time and i've been reluctant to sell it.

It's cast in cream colored resin the usual way, rather than a two-part sandwich wafer that used to be popular. It's very cleanly mastered and cast. The photo etch interior is hefty sheet metal. It's not brass color, so I assume it's nickel plated brass or something similar. The PE fret is dominated by the seats, Vac clear parts. I don't recall decals to be honest.

All in all, it's an excellent kit by today's standards, much less the standards of when ever it was released. If you run across that kit, rest easy that it's a very high quality casting with excellent photo etch.

I have no clue how much that thing would be worth since it's never on ebay. (the price gauge of model kits) If anyone has an inkling, I'm all ears.

----Stephen Tontoni, Seattle Washington USA

I had the French resin kit - it was gorgeous. Never built it, and sold it off some time ago.

Much to my surprise, about 23 years ago I was living in rural western Michigan near my parents. I was on the road with my job, and was *way* out in the country tooling along a two lane road through the woods. I zipped past a small clearing in the woods and there for all the world sat a Max Holste Broussard in full French military markings! I nearly drove off the road before I got stopped and turned around to go back. There was no visible runway (other than possibly the road) nearby, and the only other "civlization" was a very ramshackle trailer across the road. Never daunted by large dogs or people with lots of guns who live in ramshackle trailers in the woods in rural Michigan, I bravely went up and knocked on the door. Turns out the guy living in the trailer was the owner and pilot of said Broussard. He was dumbfounded that I knew what it was. He said I was the first person in America who he didn't have to explain it to. He said he only flew VFR, and never anywhere that he was required to talk to anyone on the radio, and just flew it for fun (!?!?). When he wanted to fly, he fired it up, taxied down the road about a quarter mile to the big open cow pasture, and used that as his airfield.

One of those stories that if I hadn't experienced it myself, I'd never have believed it. Only in America :)

• Like 1

There's one that lives at Eggesford airfield in Devon.

A thirsty beast but a nice flyer according to a gent I know through Flightsimming.

this gentleman wouldnt happen to like in a small village in cornwall starting with L would he?..if so i know the same guy

steve

There was a real one at Yeovilton Airshow last year. I have pestered the Model Art guy on his stall at Telford a couple of times to re-release his Broussard. If we all gang up on him he might relent. I have the decal sheet, shame not to use it!

• 4 years later...