HONDA NR 750

D1fuN0

Howdy Chaps

Seeing as I work away from home and can only work on my Katana at the weekends, Ive decided to take a kit with me to work on during the week...

So here's my second entry into the GB, the NR 750

NRBOX_zps91f8ab47.jpg

NRBOXSHOT_zps788ee650.jpg

Ive been wanting to get at this kit for a while and I suppose now is as good a time as any...

The NR is supposedly one of Tamiya's best bike kits, and when it was released, it certain was at the top of the list.

The real NR certainly made people sit up and take notice when it was released in the early nineties an it was said, and still is said that it is the ultimate superbike. maybe not the fastest, but you have to go a long way to better the technology that went into it.

(I shall post info in the reference section)

Mine... well, eeeevery single NR Ive seen has been red, and more that half of the biles on the shelf are red, sooooo, think i might go for something a bit brighter, possibly Bright Orange, I reckon it has the right shape for Orange.

Ok me hearties...

Off we go...

Steve

Ok, uppeydate no1. (will have to be non pictoral for the mo, cos me being my usual highly organised self left the camera at home)

Got a couple of bits of the engine stuck together, but I really need to start planning the body work colour.

Finish will be as indicated on the box, except Tamiya Bright Orange instead of Red.

Ive learnt my lesson with Orange, after unashamedly abusing an old Esci Transit Van with what I thought would be a cool colour, instead ending up with something

that looked like a half melted jelly...

The plan is...

Grey fine undercoat, then Mica Silver and on top of that,then Bright Yellow, finishing with Bright Orange and clear coat. Tried this before and it worked out quite nice.

So, the bodywork is certainly going to take the longest on this one, with lots of spraying and masking (and swearing...)

Coolo, till later

Steve

Recall reading a few magazine articles on this machine when they were new. Phenomenal technology that was electronically emasculated. Seemed such a waste at the time. Nice kit to build from what I can remember.

Nice subject Steve

I remember these when I was riding regularly but never saw one until I got to the Honda Collection Hall in Motegi.

i don't know if you have or want any pics for reference but you're welcome to these two.

2004_0424Japan02-050080.jpg

2005_0910Jpn_Sept_050117.jpg

Both pics were taken on separate trips - the 2nd one they ran the bike around a small demo track - you can see the paving in the shot. Too fascinated by it to remember to take any pics I'm afraid!

Watching this one with interest. Will you be adding CF decal as in the 2nd shot?

cheers

Rick

Howdy Spad

Yup, ill be adding CF details. The kit comes with decals for the bottom of the fairing, and for the Tank detail as well, although im not too sure whether that is CF or just black paint detail.Theres a few other little places that will get CF too, like the rear mudguard surround . Im also toying with the idea of replacing the brake discs and one or two other small additions.

Steve

Hello again from a wet and rainy Jo'burg

Ok, we have finally managed to stick some engine bits together and get some paint on.

SAM_0177_zpse3fbcdea.jpg

SAM_0178_zps24900412.jpg

SAM_0176_zps8538eea3.jpg

The whole engine block basically comes as one piece, with just one set of cylinder heads and the sump cover added to complete it.

Still in the process of drybrushing the raised detail, so that will become more prominent as I progress. The aluminium section surrounding the heads is done in Bare Metal Foil, and once washes and sprayed with Clear, they wont be as shiny.

The side covers have been done in the Dark Grey I was aiming for, but there will become more evident when coated in Clear.

There is a LOT of detail painting to add on the engine, and that is gonna take some time, the spark plug covers have been painted blue, and the leads yellow, as per the engine pic above, and there are 15, yes 15 more bits to add (not counting the 8 plugs), to complete the engine.

I like this kit, its well engineered, cram packed with detail and definately going to look fantastic when its finished.

Colour choice is still orange :analintruder:

Having a look further into the build, the entire top of the tank, and the air ducts are CF, (supplied by decal in the kit), and it looks like its gonna be a lot of fun (sarcasm) getting them all together.

Ok then, thanks for looking again, more soon.

Steve 

Nice subject Steve

I remember these when I was riding regularly but never saw one until I got to the Honda Collection Hall in Motegi.

i don't know if you have or want any pics for reference but you're welcome to these two.

2004_0424Japan02-050080.jpg

2005_0910Jpn_Sept_050117.jpg

Both pics were taken on separate trips - the 2nd one they ran the bike around a small demo track - you can see the paving in the shot. Too fascinated by it to remember to take any pics I'm afraid!

Watching this one with interest. Will you be adding CF decal as in the 2nd shot?

cheers

Rick

Hiya Rick

Yeah, Ill be adding the CF for the tank and airvents (well, thats the plan)

Steve

Well hoooooooooody there.

Bit more success with the NR this weekend..

Have the engine mounted to the frame at last, no hassles at all, just slid right in.

NRFRAME1_zpsd7ee9af8.jpg

NRFRAME2_zps371ae6bc.jpg

and the colour has started on the bodywork.

all the bits undercoated, then sprayed chrome silver.

NRCOLOUR1_zps670d9c72.jpg

NRCOLOUR2_zps5bd5ceac.jpg

NRCOLOUR3_zps1fe2cc76.jpg

Thats drying, next will be the chrome yellow, before the final coats of orange ..

Righto, till later.

Steve

Hey Guys

wasnt feelin too well this weekend, so not much done...

added to this, complete disater with the colouring on the NR. sprayed the final Orange coat on the bodywork, and for some reason there seemed to be some kind of adverse reaction and it came out real crap.

So, rub down and re do.

More later chaps

Steve

Hey Guys

wasnt feelin too well this weekend, so not much done...

added to this, complete disater with the colouring on the NR. sprayed the final Orange coat on the bodywork, and for some reason there seemed to be some kind of adverse reaction and it came out real crap.

So, rub down and re do.

More later chaps

Steve

Bummer!

Bummer!

Yeah, with a capital bum!

Seems like to me that the affected area look like a couple of hand prints, so having 3 females in the house, im wondering whether maybe one of them didnt pick the bodywork up with maybe handcream or something on. Well the medicine for the gypo guts made me stay awake all night, so that was spent rubbing down the body and respray to happen soon. Will post pics as soon as.

Steve

Hoooooowdy :bye:

Right, after the disaster of the first coat of paint, ive stripped the bodywork back again and the whole process started again...

SAM_0226.jpg

SAM_0227.jpg

Is it just me... or does this look pink?

We'll see after the varnish is on and its polished up again...

Ok, more later