HobbyBoss 1/48 Me262 A1a/U5

Great progress. A pitty about the radio, but it happens to everybody from time to time.

If you close the hatch then nobody knows it. exept us BMers. :wicked:

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Cheers guys. Jason, I'm doing the kit scheme. The U5 was a prototype of which I believe only one was built. I haven't seen any references that show the aircraft in question, so who knows the veracity of the instructions! It looks like it'll be a challenging scheme with the combination of mottling & hard edges, but I'll give it a go!

colour_zpsc434d3f0.jpg

Chris

I've blu tacked the gun covers on for the duration of the painting, hence the wonky nose. Primer is on. I'm using Mr Surfacer 1200, so I make sure I'm outside when I'm spraying so the breeze carries the over-spray away from my lungs. I didn't count on the strong winds that just blew through my back garden though. Talk about an exercise in frustration! I really thought the bloody thing was going to take off by itself at one point!

DSCF2642_zps87b97bb9.jpg

Next up, masking & mounting the clear bits!

Chris

Not a very interesting update, but I find it helps me to keep momentum if I keep documenting the build! I like to give things a silver undercoat to help with chipping, but I was going to skip it on this one and try painting chips in using citadel acrylics, as they brush paint nicely. Then I had a bit of brain-fade and ended up spraying it silver anyway, I think I may have been on autopilot. Sprayed tamiya flat aluminium, except for some of the nose panels which is in Citadel Runefang Steel. You can't really see the difference in the picture, but the metallic flakes of the citadel paint are a lot more fine. Canopy masked with Parafilm M & attached.

DSCF2651_zpsd0736e92.jpg

Next up, let the top coat commence!

Chris

Looks great! A word of warning - if it's like my A-1a/U4 build, putting in the nosewheel gear will pop a seam under the nose. The instructions told me to put it in before I closed up the fuselage, but I couldn't see why, so I ignored them... :banghead:

Looks great! A word of warning - if it's like my A-1a/U4 build, putting in the nosewheel gear will pop a seam under the nose. The instructions told me to put it in before I closed up the fuselage, but I couldn't see why, so I ignored them... :banghead:

:owww: Dave, I think I've made the same assumption... Well, I'll have cross that bridge when I come to it (or more likely fill, sand & paint that particular bridge)

Chris

Metallic bits masked off, RLM02 nose cone done, RLM82 done. Normally I'd do the belly colour first, but because of the way I'll need to over spray the splinter camo, the splinter comes first. I've also tried post shading instead of pre-shading, for a change

DSCF2659_zps6dc06171.jpg

I'll let this dry overnight, then mask off & do the RLM81

Chris

the radio inside the fuselage popped free and started rattling around. I managed to extract it through the gap behind the seat, that's it sat in front of the starboard wing. I don't think I'm going to try to put it back in place, as to be honest very little of the interior can be seen though the little access hatch.

Chris

Build a 1/48 workbench to sit it on and have it "removed for maintenance"

Build a 1/48 workbench to sit it on and have it "removed for maintenance"

That's not a bad idea John. We'll see how long it takes me to finish the bird itself first though!

Today I learned that not all paints cure as quickly as Tamiya acrylics. I bought a pot of Gunze RLM81 and proceeded to spray up the rest of the splinter. The coverage was nice and even, although I'm not keen on the 'semi' gloss finish. Unfortunately, despite leaving it an hour to dry, I've managed to put a thumbprint on the spine of the aircraft. I'll see if it polishes out when dry.

DSCF2670_zps45ab6b25.jpg

Next up (once she's fully dry!) - the tricky bit of the belly & mottle

Chris

I masked off the sides with blutack sausages, and put a few small blobs of blutack on for the mottling. The results were disappointing. I hadn't achieved the soft edge that I wanted, and the resulting 'mottle' just looked weird. So with a steady hand I went back over the edges freehand, as well as erasing the mottle. It had been a laborious process doing the masking, so I was already feeling a bit deflated. Then while I was concentrating on getting a fine feather to soften the edges, I managed to tip the airbrush too far over and sloshed RLM76 paint over the port wing & engine. Cue much gnashing of teeth. I've put the airbrush down for today, as I can feel myself getting frustrated with things. Better to take a short break and come back when I'm feeling a bit more chipper, than end up stuffing it all up when I try to put the mottle on

DSCF2674_zpsb29a58c4.jpg

Chris

At moments like this, you need a cat. Of course, if the cat's got any sense, it'll hide...

The demarcation you've got now looks good from here. I haven't done much mottling, but I think the only way to get it looking good is to be brave and go freehand - anything else won't give you a 'feathery' enough edge. Best of luck!

Chris, the feathering on the camo edges looks fine by me, about the same I usually get with my efforts. Well thinned paint and low air pressure usually guarantee a good result. Looking forward to seeing this one done, should look very nice when completed.

Edited by kpc7676