Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Nice...

#22 trickyrich

trickyrich

They can't see me... I can't see them.

• Gold Member
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Been slowly working away with this, though had to have yesterday off, thoughnot sure what’s so important about the 14th of Feb!!!  :P

Noticed it was a bit quite around here! ( :chair:   :fuyou_2: for those who forget the flowers and bubbles!)

The cockpit is finished and assembled, still haven't finished seat yet, hate painting seat belts.

Main undercarriage is just about there, just a couple of things to do, then I can button up the fuselage. Build the main undercarriage doors and played around with a few other PE bits.

Wings and flaps are done.......finally, and look great, was worth the extra time and effort.

Hopefully things will now progress a bit quicker, would like to have it done and dusted before I go on holidays. Photos tomorrow.

Edited by trickyrich, 15 February 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#23 smuts

smuts

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Very nice, greatwork on the pit..

Andy.

#24 trickyrich

trickyrich

• Gold Member
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Ok update time....

Haven’t really progressed too much when the photos are looked at, but a lot has happened behind the scenes. Major drama was that I dropped the cockpit, with additional lead weight attached foot peddle first on to bench while test fitting! Luckily I only managed to break off both foot pedals, still took ages to fix....needless to say i wasn’t happy!  :doh:  :weep:

Finally managed to close the bodies, wasn’t very happy with the fit at all on the front sections of the fuselage. Plus wing gaps were horrible, a bit of reshaping and plugging later the wing joints are now ok but still had to do more filling on the front section than I thought I would.

DSCF0595_zpse2b29163.jpg

DSCF0594_zps20619703.jpg

Cockpit and glazing ready for assembly. Upper section was originally broken in half. Bough a replacement set from Squadron but really wanted to use the original somehow. So reglued broken bits and cut out upper hatch, and replaced with hatch from Squadron set, looks ok, just wee line across one of the upper windows (sorry camera is a bit old and won’t show clearly), if at the end it’s no good then still have complete part from Squadron I can use.

DSCF0592_zps3ebbdfbf.jpg

DSCF0586_zpsa96c7840.jpg

DSCF0587_zpsbc8809d7.jpg

Last time this area will be seen so clearly...gosh what a cave the poor guy had to sit in, must have been a tiny guy to fit!  :mental:

Shaped and assembled main gear doors, plus started to look at antenna assembly.

DSCF0593_zpsbeeb3893.jpg

They do look good, that's just a dirty smudge on the LH door, just need to be primed.

This is a Master Model set to replicate the FuG 218 Neptun antennae and boy is it fine. Had to cut off old parts and drill new a hole for main mast, recommended 0.3mm and even that was too big, may have to go to 0.2mm! You may not be able to see it in photos but brass masts have small holes for the antennae....this will be fun, but boy they look nice!

DSCF0597_zpsefb49f2d.jpg

No nothings glued yet, just looking at how much will be involved in the assembly.....lots! And yes those antennae are tiny....can hear the carpet monster licking its teeth already!  :yikes:

While I was procrastinating over this build did a bit more to another project that's been sitting around (for about 2 years), hopefully will have the two finished at the end on the build (I know this one isn’t eligible, but will still be nice to have it finished). It’s done up as a Wing Staff aircraft with 1 Gruppe NJG 3, it’ll have wing mount FuG218 antennae, a bit whatif’y. But this antennae arrangement was shown for use (may have even been used) on this aircraft, probably to help reduce drag, plus these aircraft were to be assigned to this Stab and Gruppe.

DSCF0596_zps2e8c290c.jpg

Any way was a good break from the beast, next update should be ready for the paint!!!

#25 robw_uk

robw_uk

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

man thats neat... and fiddly brass - you have to love that in a kit ;-)..... 

#26 Mish

Mish

Blame Mish

• Group Build Moderator
  • 19,869 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Impressive

#27 gruffy

gruffy

Proud Dad !

• Gold Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

very good! Love to see Neptune radar antenaers set built up!

#28 Arniec

Arniec

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Nice work sofar. I have seen these antenna's as well and they are excellent! I have a few sets myself for some different projects and I don't know how they do it and for that price! It is unbeleavable.

A little tip (if you haven't thought of it yourself): Make the antennas compleet and wait with the placing till you have fitted the mast. This will ease with the outlining of them.

Cheers.

#29 trickyrich

trickyrich

• Gold Member
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Nice work sofar. I have seen these antenna's as well and they are excellent! I have a few sets myself for some different projects and I don't know how they do it and for that price! It is unbeleavable.

A little tip (if you haven't thought of it yourself): Make the antennas compleet and wait with the placing till you have fitted the mast. This will ease with the outlining of them.

Cheers.

thanks...

mmm agree the antennas were to be the last things fitted........less chance of the sausage fingers and carpet monster from destroying them!

Thanks everyone else for the nice comments, this build is not without its little dramas, but the effort is starting to pay off.

Update shortly........watching “Clear and Present Danger”! :D

• gruffy likes this

#30 smuts

smuts

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Hi, just gets better... 

Andy.

#31 trickyrich

trickyrich

• Gold Member
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Got quite a bit done today, but at this stage it doesn’t really show.

Finished buttoning up the beast for painting, applied Eduard cockpit masks. This is the first time i’ve used them.........why has it taken so long to start using them!!!!! They’re so cool and easy to use, think they become #1 accessory for builds from now on.

Finished tiding up few rouge bits and painted panel shading.

DSCF0600_zps901a4b3e.jpg

Lower surfacers painted in RLM 76. Note I have the two types of gun pods on the side. Hasegawa one (cylindrical pod) which seems to be the one supplied with most manufactures of this type, and the one with green putty (from Gomix kit, and one seen in most drawings of the B2/N). Still not too sure which one to use, still thinking the Gomix one, though the shape doesn’t quite seem right hence the green stuff! Hole in nose is where the bomb site would poke out, will make a plate to go over this (bomb site was removed from interior earlier in the piece) from PE, should look the part.

DSCF0599_zpsbeb8f38b.jpg

Ok I got a bit distracted, as I have just rebuild compressor (Santa forgot my new one) and started to see how fine I could get the line. Was quite amazed so practised a bit.....and then a bit more. Now think i may attempted one of those really squiggly patterns on a Ju88 G-6/7 I have (one in the first set of photos this build).

Plus did some work on the RATO pods, tail cans (intakes are done), plus started on the wheels. The Aries wheels are awesome (though photo doesn't look that great), they beautifully detailed, but still more work required for these.

DSCF0598_zps7060b400.jpg

With luck will get the remainder of the painting done tomorrow, just a simple RLM 81/82 splinter, this will make a change from the usual 75/76 colour schemes oh most of the nightfighters I have. So hopefully next update the major painting will be done.

Edited by trickyrich, 20 February 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#32 trickyrich

trickyrich

• Gold Member
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Well there are some noticeable changes to the project today.

Finished the major part of painting, first down was the RLM 82, didn’t go down as nicely as hoped, plus need to touch up a couple of areas.

Next was masking for the splinter, thought this would have been fairly simple......2 ½ hours later!!!  :hypnotised:  Just took so long to try and get it to match...just hope Hasegawa, and others got it right! Was going to take photos at this stage....but forgot, was mentally worn out. Plus needed good coffee!

Then went on the RLM81, couldn’t wait to see how it went, so after 15min, off came all the masks.

DSCF0602_zpsb863c624.jpg

DSCF0604_zps918a31d3.jpg

(Flaps fitted just to see how it all looked.)

Don’t know why but for some reason I thought there would have been better colour definition. But was probably thinking of a 82/83 colour scheme (like the Bv-155 in the pics, it’s 1/72, can imagine how big it would be 48th!!....yes another distraction) , once the final matt coat is applied it should look better. But it does actually look right, for the 76 demarcation I went for a slightly soft (used thin blu-tack) edge and not quite 100% straight. It looks to be right for this late type colour scheme.

DSCF0603_zps2f6f0463.jpg

Next will try out a couple of “weathering” ideas before the gloss coat. Just want to knock some of the edge and new finish off the paint work.....hopefully I do it right and don’t have to re-paint.

I don’t know what it is but each model I build I have one bit that always gives me grief! This time it’s the LHS main gear, have knocked it loose multiple times, and now have lost a bit! Unfortunately I had to fit it before I closed the main body. Will have to fit the original kit part, least it can’t be seen!!

Next up is to paint black rim around cockpit and paint rear of engine pods (iron black???), gloss coat & decal, matt coat, then panel detailing and slight weathering. Seeing as it probably only flew for a very limited number of missions and I guess it was pampered, this will be kept quite light.

#33 Mish

Mish

Blame Mish

• Group Build Moderator
  • 19,869 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

Looks great with the paint on.

#34 Arniec

Arniec

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Nice one Rich, She is comming together nicely. I can't wait to see her with some decals on.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec, 22 February 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#35 trickyrich

trickyrich

• Gold Member
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

I was hoping that this would be the grand unveiling of the completed paint work with decals, unfortunately........

Don’t know what happened, did everything the same as always, and even used the same matt topcoat as I did for the 109. But for some reason the matt coat has appeared to have separated, never seen anything like it, have splodges of matt and gloss finish all over the place in almost a crinkle finish. Some parts are ok, namely sections of the undersides but the main to surfaces are toast.

Have started to rub back the worst effected sections, but may end up losing the decals, don’t have spares so may have to get some more. Will try a couple of light matt coats once I have finished rubbing back the rest of the effected areas (worried I will lose detail), will see how it looks.

Am sort of now hoping for a miracle (not so sure though), or else it is a complete strip back (not to keen on that) or into the box of doom.

At this stage it doesn’t look like this one will be completed for this build! Am upset and very annoyed at this as it was looking really good..

Sorry no pics,!!

#36 Parabat

Parabat

Airborne

• Gold Member
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

So sorry to hear it Rich, it was looking really good too. Such a shame when this sort of thing happens. I hope you find a workable solution to the problem.

#37 AndyC

AndyC

Barely adequate in all ways since 1962

• Gold Member
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Jeez Rich, hope you can get it sorted!  Loving that build!

#38 louiex2

louiex2

Established Member

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Amazing work. Hang in there, you'll get the paint sorted.

#39 trickyrich

trickyrich

• Gold Member
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for the support, as much as I would have liked to have ditched it, there has just been some much work put into it so far, so off we continue. :thanks:

ok, was my birthday today and I think the modelling good fairy of Sydney (actually are heaps of good fairies here at the moment, Mardi Gras is on this weekend :P) must have smiled on me! Have sort of managed to bodge a fix! :whistle:

I didn’t want to have to re-paint and even though I looked at buy another model and moving all the parts to that one, it seem just like too much work.

So I attacked all the affected areas with 600grit Wet & Dry and a nail polishing/buffing stick. This was a very slow an laborious task as this had been the final top coat and there were decals under some areas........and no I didn’t have spares. It probably took close to 9 hours work to get it to a finish that most of the damaged coating had been removed. The decals in a couple of sports had been damaged plus there was quite a bit of paint damage as well, these were fixed up with some careful hand painting.
Now I had to make a decision on what I was going to use as a matt coat!! The large hobby store in the city, which has very few models anymore, didn’t have the paints required so I got just a couple of items.

What I was tossing up was whether to paint it again with an enamel matt coat or go for an acrylic. I have been using “rattle cans” for gloss and matt coats for about 20 years and pretty much get a perfect finish, even with lacquers! This was the first time I had ever had a problem, both the gloss and matt cans were used with the 109 (last build) with no issues at all.

In the end after some test shooting I decided to go with a Matt Acrylic clear by Model Master, have had it for ages, bought it by mistake. This was really thinned down with Tamiya Acrylic thinners before airbrushing.

I have to admit this was the first time I have ever airbrushed an acrylic and probably only the second time I’ve even used them! With nothing to really lose off I went.

DSCF0605_zps047dc131.jpg

DSCF0608_zpsf8d0b345.jpg

Lettering had to be hand painted, way have to search decal box for sections of black decal to fix.

DSCF0606_zpsc9a984ef.jpg

Very noticable wear on wing tips, to be fixed, oh and it is actually RLM76, just lamp bulb and camera make it look really grey!

After sitting overnight under a lamp I must say I am impressed with the results! Through the whole process I have lost the crispness of detail plus a little bit of detail, but considering how it looked beforehand!! Easiest way to describe it was it looked like a cracked mad pack had been applied to most of the surfaces, both the matt and gloss coats were affected.

Am now sort of back on track with this, but the build has lost a bit of the excitement it originally had.

DSCF0607_zps37db379d.jpg

Can sort off see why so much time was needed for the cockpit, everything is REALLY on display! Dust bunnies will be evicted! :whip:

Next are some washes and slight weathering, though it’s had some serious “weathering” already, then the final detailing.

#40 Mish

Mish

Blame Mish

• Group Build Moderator
  • 19,869 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

Nice recovery Rich, she looks great.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ar-234B-2/N, Nightfighter, Hasegawa 1/48 Ar234B-2N