Hasegawa 1/72 F-15C

It's possible the stateside Chompass Ghost jets had the coloured stencils. I think the trend was toward all black when the airframes went Mod Eagle.

There are alot of No Step markings on the upper surface of the F-15's fuselage, wings and horizontal tails. As far as I can remember, for the "Compass Ghost" era they should be black lettering surrounded by a yellowish honeycomb pattern on the moving surfaces and wing tips, black lettering alone elsewhere.

HTH

Cheers.

p.s, is the windscreen surround bright blue?

Thanks for the help. I shall go with what I have got, but I think that I will leave off some of the red ones as the instruction place some of these on the sides of the fuselage. There are also some yellow ones for under the fuselage, but I have found some blackish ones that I will replace these with.

The blue on the windscreen is the masking tape that I am using. I have not got around to painting the framing as yet. Taking of the canopy framing, I know that it is red, but is it any particular shade of red?

Edited by Jabba

Thanks for the help. I shall go with what I have got, but I think that I will leave off some of the red ones as the instruction place some of these on the sides of the fuselage. There are also some yellow ones for under the fuselage, but I have found some blackish ones that I will replace these with.

I'm looking at the Verlinden Lock-On title and there are red lettered stencils next to the nose wheel bay and the main wheel bays as well as on the intake sides near the nodding intake mouth. There also appears to be a small red warning text next to the "Danger, arresting Hook" stencil on each tail boom plus some red text on top of each horizontal stabilator next to the black outline around the hinge point.

Lastly, there appears to be a large area of red text below the canopy lip just behind the ejection seat warning triangles. (These are all on the "hig-vis" red, white and blue star and bar painted birds.)

I'm guessing the yellow markings are small circles and crosses? They are dotted along the intake sides low down behind the wheel bays and next to the nose gear bay, also low down. HTH

The blue on the windscreen is the masking tape that I am using. I have not got around to painting the framing as yet. Taking of the canopy framing, I know that it is red, but is it any particular shade of red?

Ah, yes, that makes sense. I know I could n't remember seeing a USAF F-15 with a blue windscreen surround.

The frame is not so much red as more of a dark reddish copper colour. Games Workshop used to do the perfect shade in their metallic range. As a note, the photos in the Verlinden book suggest that only the horizontal framing of the windscreen surround is the bare metal coppery colour. The windscreen bow is painted in dark Compass Ghost grey. It's the canopy framing bow that is the metallic shade along with the framework around the aft of the canopy and the hooped strengthener mid way down the glazing.

HTH

Edited by geedubelyer

Thanks for all the help with my questions about the stencil colouring. I have now just found a picture of the aircraft that I am modelling, but it is posing more problems than it it is answering.

In this picture it show that the ejection seat triangle is red (but in other pictures that I have show it to be black) whilst the rescue panel on the port side and arrow are in yellow (I don't have a picture of this). But the strange thing is that the star and bar in this picture is in full colour that is red, white and blue. In all other pictures of any Eagle in this time period I have only seen black star and bars, and that includes the Wing and Sqn commander aircraft that have white edging to the tail codes and extra badges on the sides of the aircraft. So with this I am now really puzzled as to what is correct. I know that people will say that the picture is proof, but somehow I am not sure that it is. This photo is credited to the department of defence, so I am assuming that it has come from official sources. The other worrying thing is that neither of the decal sheet instructions or the sheet inself provide any of this information, which one of them states at the bottom of the instruction sheet was made with the help of the personnel from the 33rd Wing. If this was a unique aircraft with the coloured national marking, surely I would have thought that someone would have remembered it and told the decal manufacturers?

Can anyone help with this extra puzzle.

Sorry I can't help with the specific airframe that you are building but if you use the red/white and blue star and bar then go with the coloured stencilling. If you adopt the low-viz star and bar, stick with the black stencilling.

There was a period of transition so any airframe on any given day might have been changing over in maintenance. That same Verlinden title that I referred to before shows ghost grey painted airframes with the black outline star and bar with coloured stencilling too.

You could always go with what you think looks best.

Thanks, I put out a similar request on ARC and I have got some positive replies. I looks like this aircraft did get full colour national markings during the 1991 conflict, so I am going to do a spot of repainting and go with that. Now all I need to find is some F-15 full colour national markings, as the ones that are on the Hasegawa decal sheet are not that good. I do have some for an F-5 which look about the right size, if I cut the blue border around the bars off.

After a bit of a conflab with a few people on ARC I have come up with a notion that may or may not be correct.

In the picture where I can see Capt Rodriquezs nameplate, the stencilling is black and it has an Iraqi kill flag, although the caption says that this aircraft is 85-114, I don't think that it is. This is because in the first picture of 85-114 that I have and other pictures taken by a KC-135 crewmember actually during Desert Storm, although the name on the nameplate can't be made out there are full colour "Star and Bars" and coloured stencilling. The last picture of 85-114 that I have has Capt Rodriquezs name on the nameplate, Iraqi flag and Star kill markings on it plus all the full colour parts that I have mentioned earlier. This picture I was taken when the aircraft arrived back at Elgin, and was painted so because this is the aircraft the Capt Rodriquez got his kills in.

So as the markings that I have got are for the latter picture that is what I will eventually end up with. I have tried to cut the boarder off the F-5 "Star and Bars" with no success, but have found a decal sheet with some on and it is on its way to me. I have completed the etch brass on the engines, plus I have built up the missiles and these are now being painted. I have also started to apply the stencils from the kit decal sheet, and that should keep me occupied until the decal sheet that I have ordered arrives. So although this project will not quite end up how I wanted it to, it will get finished.

The new deca; sheet arrived today, so I shall apply the coloured "Star and Bars" this evening. All the stencilling has been applied to the airframe, just some has to be applied to smaller items such as the U/C doors. The missiles are now also painted and will be decalled in the coming week. A few more odds and sods to be painted, but it will some be time to start the final assembly.

Hopefully I will have some pictures this week.

Decalling now all done on the model itself, just the missiles and a few smaller things to be done. I will give this a coat of Klear and then do a small amount of weathering and varnish before I start to attach the smaller parts. The engines are now all built up, painted and will also be added soon.

Any comments are very welcome.

F-15CEagle018_zps69f84f8c.jpg

F-15CEagle019_zpsccdb89b4.jpg

F-15CEagle020_zps6c5508f8.jpg

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

good catch on the markings too.

Thanks, I just wish that the decal manufacturer had also seen it, even though iy does say on the instructions that they did have help from personnel from the Sqn.

This one is now finished, but as I am travelling up to Cosford for the show tomorrow it has been boxed away, so no photos as yet. It will be on display at the show on the Gulf War S.I.G stand.

I will have pictures of it early next week.

Very cool model there Jabba! Sod doing all of those stencils tho, probably why I stick to 1/144 :P

Can't wait to see the model in all it's finished "glory" :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I have got used to stencilling since it was introduced during the 80s I think by Hasegawa. In fact the last aircraft I built that had stencilling on it was a 1/144th Tu-154 and that had hundreds.

Here is a picture of the completed model, and I will post more when time permits. Any comments are very welcome.

F-15CEagle021_zps0d702f7f.jpg

F-15CEagle022_zpsb572d9d5.jpg

F-15CEagle024_zps003f5e65.jpg

F-15CEagle023_zps0f06fd15.jpg

Edited by Jabba