"Meeting with the enemy"

Ossian

I am re-reading "The Great Coup", Robert Hill's account of the defection of a Ju88 nightfighter to RAF Dyce in May 1943, and am curious about a short passage in the last chapter (direct quote follows):

Schmitt [the pilot]... admitted that the landing at Dyce in 1943 was not the first time he put a Luftwaffe plane down on an English airfield during the war.

No records of the landing exist on the files of RAF Lincoln but, said Schmitt, he delivered a package to a waiting RAF officer in a Dornier 217, on the night of May 20th, 1941, just ten days after Rudolf Hess...bailed out of his Me 110 over Scotland.

"It was all part of the grey war that existed at that time," said Schmitt. "I wasn't the only German pilot to land, by arrangement in Britain, and several British pilots made landings in Germany, which were known to the people who mattered on our side. ...the secret flights only ended when we attacked Russia, and Britain and Russia became allies."

The book was first published in 1977, and a lot has come out about e.g. Enigma and other secret operations since then, so I wonder if any more information has come out about these authorised meetings with the enemy?

All links to (authoritative) sources will be very welcome!

• Like 4

• 4 years later...

I have read that Hitler made overtures of peace to Britain both during and after the Battle of Britain. Not sure what to believe of the Hess mission. Hess believed he had the backing of Hitler yet German leadership at the time considered his actions to be pure lunacy.

The mind boggles! Must have been hard to ensure that the entire crew of a bomber were `onside' and wouldn`t blab to the Nazi authorities. 

I`d love to know more!

I did read somewhere that the pilot of the Ju88 that is now in the RAF Museum Cosford was working for British Intelligence along with his father who was a high ranking officer,...... also that one of the crew was killed or incapacitated and thrown out of the aircraft `en route' to the UK as he was an ardent Nazi and not `on side' like the ret of the crew,

Cheers

Tony