Revell 1/32 Tornado 617 Sqdn

I left the undercarriage bays as per the kit, its a shame there isn't an aftermarket option for these bays as the kit mouldings are a little basic. Also the intake trunkings could benefit from add on items, but it does build into an impressive model when complete. Yep realised the Hindenburger fins were the wrong way round - I was hoping no-one would notice ahem!!!!......still not going to change them now.

Not everyone noticed!! Just a few sad anoraks!  :banghead:

Another observation, born out of my own ignorance probably, BUT I've only ever seen pic's of Tornado's with Flaps AND leading edges deployed, (or nothing at all deployed of course!). Is it possible to deploy flaps and not slats? Perhaps some of the 'Tonka' (ex-) workforce members on here could confirm? 

Very nice build. Used to work on this jet when I was on 617 at Lossie. One small thing though, the bombs should be closer to the pylons. I loaded several hundred 1000 pounders over 16 years on Tonka's and when loaded you can barely get your fingers between bomb and pylon. Other than that a very nice model and brings back many memories. Thanks !!!

I agree the  mace lugs should be up inside the pylon not attached to the bottom.

Selwyn

If we had flaps down when the jet was parked up, slats were deployed too.  It was too allow us to inspect them during a servicing, like with the air brakes.

Before I left the RAF, our see-in procedure changed a little, and flaps and slats were inspected during the see in, before engine shut down.  This allowed them to be closed by the jockey, before shut down.

In all times I saw them parked up with flaps down, slats were also deployed

I wish someone else would answer!  It seems like I am having a go at the model.  i really am not, its excellent.

hi, I was looking through the thread to see if anyone else had spotted the slats!

Being a former instructor in the RAF Tornado school I can confirm that the high lift system would never be as shown.

having said that we must not divert from the outstanding finish of the model. yes it is one of the most realistic finishes I have seen on the forum and is worthy of praise.

a cracking job.

jim

• Like 1

I did consider modelling the wings with the slats also deployed. To be honest, I had such a challenge with the flaps, which nearly resulted in the kit wings being B.E.R (WAFU speak - Beyond Economical Repair!!), that I was too scared to chop the wings up any further in case I messed up good and proper. :banghead:

I agree the  mace lugs should be up inside the pylon not attached to the bottom.

Selwyn

Thats right - these are in our set in case you are displaying them on, for example, our Type S Weapons Trolley kit - otherwise they would be inside the pylon or not fitted as you would not/barely see them.

David Parkins,

Flightpath

Edited by DJPFlightpath